“I expected more...”

Ranked #43 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“I expected more...”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

OK, so I got an amazing price on this hotel by combining online coupon codes and sales. I can't complain about that. The location is fantastic and the shower, oh the shower was amazing (if you like strong water pressure.) The staff was accomodating and the breakfast buffet was tasty (albeit quite pricey.) The bed was hard as a rock - I mean the sheets were nice and soft but the actual bed was insanely uncomfortable. Also, the pillows were flat and lifeless. The room was nice enough and very clean. I was hoping for better quality bath products, and perhaps some q-tips but I can overlook these items. However, when we got into our room, looked around a little (the coffee maker was hidden in a cabinet under the tv?) and saw that there were earplugs in the bedside table drawer - maybe left behind by someone else? I don't think so - there was blaring, thumping music outside of our room until 2am. We just couldn't sleep until after it stopped, not to say we slept much on our rock bed - and who sleeps in earplugs? moving on... There are like 4 elevators (for 300 rooms!) in a tiny niche beside the reception area - so people coming up from the parking garage, and people trying to go up to their rooms are all fighting for the same space. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had there not been a conference in Charlotte, with over 200 people staying at the OMNI. But two sets of elevators would have been a better design - it was complete chaos. Anywhoo - I work in a four diamond hotel - and while it tries, this just isn't one. I'm super happy I didn't pay anywhere near the full price, and next time I'll probably stay at the Aloft.

Room Tip: The side without the loud thumping music (not sure which side specifically this is.)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Omni Charlotte Hotel. I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the Epicenter (night clubs) across the street. We continue to work with the other Uptown Hotels (Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and Hilton) and the city to help control our noise issues from the businesses across the street. Your comments will be shared with our management team so that they can show the city how the outside noise is a issue for our guests. We hope to have another opportunity to have you return as a guest so that we can earn both your business and trust.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Upper Marlboro, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Staff was awesome, hotel rooms not worth the price at all. Location was awesome, its around a lot of great city life activity. Rooms were mediocre at best and not worth the price. This hotel truly needs a complete renovation to compete with other hotel chains that are in the area.

Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Overall experience was excellent. The location of the hotel as well is an additional plus. There were a lot of amenities in the building and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed my stay very much and would absolutely stay there again. One of the best hotel experiences I have had.

maryland, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel was okay but could use a indoor pool and microwave and refrigerator in rooms. The overall experience was not bad but there is always space for improvement. Staff was friendly and polite and able to accommodate all your needs and concerns.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel is very nice, but I do not feel that I received the amount that we spent. The staff were very friendly. I hope in the near future there is an option to have a microwave, and a slightly larger fridge. I would still recommend this room to others though.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a nice larger King room on the 9th floor that had a small sitting area. From the moment we arrived we had fantastic service. We ordered room service, and all 3 of us really enjoyed our meals for both dinner and breakfast the next morning. Every staff member we encountered during our stay was very helpful, and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. As we got ready to leave the valet made sure we knew the quickest way to get back on the highway and offered my kids and I cold bottled water for our drive. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room we had on the 12th floor was musty and smokey. The hallway carpet was stretched to many times and had buckled. When I enquired about transportation to the airport, I was told either a taxi or a bus that picks up across the street from the hotel. The Marriott across the street, where some of my family members were staying, has town cars that you can hire for about $5 more than a basic taxi.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends