“Great Location... Okay Hotel Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown
Ranked #14 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Location... Okay Hotel Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We have stayed here 3 times, every time we go to Charlotte to see the Carolina Panthers play... and I always forget to review it. Since we have been there 3 times and it has almost been EXACTLY the same I am going to give you the pros and cons.

Pros:
LOCATION, Location, Location- A little less than a mile away from everything, great for walking to the stadium, great for walking to several bars and attractions, directly across the street from the NASCAR hall of fame if that is more your thing...
ROOM Aesthetics- Spacious, not horribly tacky decor, and each room comes with a tiny microwave and mini-fridge which I love when I stay in a hotel. I am not sure why but I love knowing that its there in case we want it. In the bathroom they had bath and body works products which was nice.
Breakfast is really good downstairs but I found it a little pricey... I like my hotels to offer a free continental breakfast... this one offers $11.95 breakfast buffet (so this is a pro and a con)

Cons:
THE BED SUCKS! I don't know if all the rooms have beds this bad but the last 2 times we stayed, they were terrible the first time we had a suite and it was very comfortable hmmmm... I am not sure how they go about changing the mattresses or what the deal is but we slept horrible. One half of the bed was no joke like sleeping on a blanket covered board, then the other half had a dent in the middle like is was molded for a hibernating bear to sleep in... Sleep is very important to me and on vacation I want to sleep well... I have stayed in several cheaper hotels and hotel brands that are rated lower than Hilton and never have I slept in beds that bad.
PARKING FEE: They charge you $10 a night just to park in their lot... and charge you to eat their breakfast... lots of extra charges in addition to the cost to stay the night... I believe that paying to stay at the hotel should include parking... silly me.

Overall the location makes it great but we will certainly look into a different place next year that has more comfy beds...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lvanglkat
ekohlenstein, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
It was a pleasure having you back again and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We do regret that you did not get a good night's sleep on our Garden Sleep System beds (all of our king bedded rooms & suites). Were you aware it is adjustable to your personal settings? The dial is on the side of the bed. Each side of the bed can be adjusted by air bowels for your unique preferrence. We encourage our front desk staff to tell you about the bed dial at check in and I fear your dial may have been left at a softer setting than the other side of the bed rather than both at the "nuetral" setting we like to leave them at for your arrival. Next time you stay with us, please ask about it. We would be honored for another opportunity to prove our value in every aspect of your stay. Let's continue to hope for the best for our beloved Panthers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

...and the conditioned air is horrible. Makes so much noise! All the rest is good. Price is good, the staff is kind, the breakfast is ok, but i don't think it worth 10.95 - just if your breakfast is your main meal of the day.
If you're going to Nascar Hall of Fame, this is the perfect place to be.
Few minutes walking to the heart of the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ekohlenstein, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
I’m so sorry you experienced some noise with your air conditioning unit during your stay. Our maintenance staff works diligently to keep them in excellent condition and we are sorry to hear you didn’t experience that. Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area. We’d love to make your stay with us the best hotel experience you’ve ever had.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

My son and I stayed here for one night to attend a Charlotte Hounds lacrosse game. This hotel has a great location in uptown and you can easily walk to many restaurants and attractions. It was very clean and reasonably priced but nothing fancy. The staff was polite and attentive. Parking at check-in is a bit strange and it wasn't clear to me where to go but that wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do appreciate your loyalty and kind words following your stay. We look forward to your return stay.
Smoaks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

My first time staying at a Hilton hotel and found the rooms weren't that different from lower brands. Security here is top notch you can't even get into the parking garage without a room key. The beds are the nicest and you will definitely get a good nights sleep. Bank of America is about a fifteen minute walk and after getting lost comin back found out that the club and restaurant section is also about a 15 min walk from the hotel. Overall very nice

• Stayed August 2012
ekohlenstein, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Well, welcome to the Hilton Family! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience on our beds. Our Garden Sleep System beds allow each sleeper to adjust the firmness of their mattress with a dial located near the head of the bed which will inflate/deflate air bowels located within the mattress. We do take the security of our property very seriously, the gated parking deck being our first line of defense. We look forward to your return trip because when you come back, you will be a regular!
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel overnight when attending a jazz concert at the nearby Central Piedmont Community College. It was a really convenient location for this and an easy walk to the restaurants in uptown Charlotte as well. The hotel appears to be quite new and everything was very stylish and comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was incredible - the best hotel shower EVER! On the other hand, the toilet flush was just as powerful which was fine except it was really loud. Not so great for your spouse if you get up in the middle of the night! (Still, worth it for the shower.)

I recommend you take some clothes pins or safety pins as there is neon from the NASCAR museum next door that can shine in through the gap in the room-darkening curtains. I carry clothes pins for this purpose and they worked fine.

The Hilton Garden Inn shares a parking garage with the Hampton Inn. You can pull in the garage to check in, which is convenient. Just make sure you have the correct entrance - we, like many people apparently - attempted to check in at the wrong hotel first!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am always interested in the small things that make life grand. I agree, good water pressure is one of my most cherished experiences as well. It is not gentleman like to discuss the age of anything, escecially in the south (unless your bragging about your truck or lawn tractor that is still working), but I will share that our property had its 11th anniversary this month. Just like any southern bell, our property wears its age quit well.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

This property is always consistent. I have stayed here over a 7 year time period and they continue to provide excellant service. The cooks are terrific and breakfast is always cooked to order. Shuttle service is free to local areas in the city and the hotel is located in a great location to enjoy town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
We are truly grateful for the kind words. Thank you for choosing us during your visits to Charlotte, we do appreciate your loyalty.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Two things would give this hotel an excellent rating. 1: Front desk 2: Parking The front desk person (a young man) was nice enough, friendly, chatty, but not extremely thorough. As a HH Gold Member, you can opt for extra points or free breakfast. After a long day of working, didn't think about getting the breakfast coupon and had to go back down after settling in to ask about it. He had automatically given me the points instead of offering breakfast. Small detail I know. The parking is something they can't really do anything about. It is in a deck that is connected to both hotels-Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn. It has a very closed in feeling and just seems a little creepy coming back in at night. There is a sign when you enter the deck that offers Valet Parking but I never saw an attendant. Everything else about this hotel is excellent. Rooms are nice, very clean, attractive. Beds are extremely comfortable. I probably would not walk uptown by myself at night from here, but would with friends. It is only a few blocks away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
ekohlenstein, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We do appreciate all the kind words and will make sure to celebrate them as a team. We do regret however that we did not have better visability at our valet podium which I am sure would have made you a little more comfortable. We just started offering a valet parking option less than 30 days ago and are still working out the bugs. You are completely correct that our guest service agent should have clarified your HHonors 'My Way' preference so that you did not have to return to the desk post check in. We will work to improve. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.