“Disappointed Hotel Stay”

Ranked #127 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
New York
“Disappointed Hotel Stay”
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I went to the Knights Inn because it is somewhat of a national entity and falsely believed they all had the same reputation, nationwide. However, most, if not all, of these establishments are privately owned. When I arrived management allowed me to look at the room. It appeared to be okay, but I didn't notice until I checked in that the sink was located in the room itself. So much for not paying attention. The room was clean and I believe I noticed families checking in and out. I also noticed that the hotel had clients who seemed to live there on an indefinite basis, down to putting the plant outside their door to catch the sunlight. Additionally, I got the feeling that many individuals used it as a short stay hotel, if you know what I mean. I did not particularly feel unsafe, because I was with my husband. However, I was leary about the door that had pry marks on it and the large gap between the door and floor. I used this gap as my night light. I have no complaints about the housekeeping staff, who were friendly and helpful. As far as I know, it is listed as a 2-star hotel and the pictures shown to you, unfortunately, do not include the 18 wheeler parking lot adjacent the building, nor does it show how narrow the parking lot trully is, nor does it show the back of the property which does not look as stellar as the front part as depicted by pictures. As soon as you arrive you do get the feeling that you are not in the best part of town. The rates quoted were reasonable for my budget at the time. I was happy to see that the Charlotte police drove through the property from time to time. I am returning to Charlotte later this month but will look for lodging elsewhere. I am unable to recommend this hotel/motel/inn to anyone. In fact, I was embrassed to have a friend visit me there. I met them at the gas station across and down the road. I am aware that the more stars given an establishment, supposedly the better it is. This hotel is lacking in a lot of things. I strongly believe its rating should be lowered to a 1-star hotel. It did not live up to my standards, but it did live up to my pocketbook. If you are short on money, or just plain cheap, or don't have at least minimal standards, or don't care about the neighborhood you reside in then you'll have no problem with this hotel. Again, I would like to comment the housekeeping staff.

• Liked — housekeeping staff
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank redorchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2007

This hotel had several issues, but the stench was the worst. I considered burning my clothes when I got home. I cannot think of one positive feature. The room did not even have a clock. The area is dangerous, I didn't want to go outside. I braved it to use the vending machine, but it was broke. Parking lot gets blocked off at night. I've never seen a worse hotel. I would have spent the night sleeping in the car over the hotel due to the stench and filth, but it was just too dangerous outside. I really can't stress enough just how much the room smelled. If I had to guess, it was stale animal urine, but it could have been anything. Also had a big ant crawl on me. Based on the stay, I didn't check out the breakfast. The internet access was ok though. There seemed to be plenty of other low budget hotels in the area, I suggest you use on of those.

• Liked — Internet access
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jessee70
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed 10 November 2004

Completely average with a low price and green book coupons. The parking lot is very tight, someone making a U-turn in an SUV tied it up for five minutes with an eleven point effort. Room was good with everything clean and working, including an in-room fridge and microwave. Continential breakfast was sparse. The place was a little loud with the 85 real close, but you could still sleep.

6 Thank MikeBHR