Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown
Omni Charlotte Hotel(Charlotte)
The Ivey's Hotel(Charlotte)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfootball stadiumfull kitchenbank of america stadiumfront desktwo bedroom suitefree shuttlecarolina pantherswithin walking distancemile radiusboa stadiumsporting eventswould stay here againparking garagemarriott brandeach eveningcomplimentary breakfasthotel guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My family visited Charlotte to attend the Carolina Panthers' Fan Fest. We've stayed here before for last years Fan Fest so it was a no brainer to stay here again. Overall, I love the property and one of the best Residences I've stayed at. The rooms are very spacious, very clean, very quiet, great downtown location, great breakfast and once downtown construction is completed; nice views to look at. Although I love this property I gave a rating of 3 stars because of the staff. (except the bartender) Upon arrival, I was not greeted by the sole person at the counter. She simply said, "yes..." I advised her I was checking in and she asked for my last name and credit card and proceded to swipe my card and activate my keys. She then asked if I was parking a car and I told her "yes" and then she proceeded to explain how to use the room key card to get out the attached parking garage. Now, if I had not stayed here last year and didn't know there is an $11 a day charge to park, I would have been pissed when I check my bill. After giving me the key card, she didn't say anything else but just push the card across the counter in my direction and appeared to look busy by shuffling papers behind the counter. She couldn't have known I've stayed before so there were no directions to the elevators, the room, the parking garage, breakfast details or even "Have a nice day" even if she didn't mean it. Also, I don't understand why guests of the property have to pay for parking. Where else are we supposed to park??? Even though this is downtown, Charlotte isn't NYC where having a car is optional. There is no street parking or parking lot sooooo. After assuming the young lady who checked me in was having a bad day, I again ran into the same issue with the woman who checked us out. After standing at the counter I eventually said we were checking out, she reached for the key cards, gave one back b/c I needed it to get out of the garage and turned her back to go back to what she was doing. No "how was your stay," "have a good day", "come back to see us..." At 1st I thought it was just me but I noticed the staff was pissy with other guests too. (except the bar staff) I work in customer service so I understand the importance of putting on smile when you don't feel like it. Marriott needs to send this staff back to customer service training. If you don't want to deal with people then don't get a customer oriented job...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for your honest review of your experience with us recently. We do spend a great deal of time and effort on guest service and will continue to do so. It is just so unecessary for an associate(s) who's having a bad day to put such a damper on your overall experience. I ask you to call me directly at the hotel so I can better acertain who these individuals were that showed such poor service skills.

David Love GM 704-340-4001

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn (RI) while in town for a concert. I was very impressed with how warm and friendly the staff were at the RI. It is clear that they place a high value on customer service and aim to make you feel welcome and at home during your stay. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed, parking was convenient, and wifi was included. We encountered a problem with one of our toilets and it was fixed within minutes of my calling about it. Afterwards, the front desk called to make sure that everything was okay. I really appreciated that. The breakfast they serve is outstanding. It varied every day we were there, which kept it interesting. I loved the fact that they used real eggs for breakfast as opposed to that powdered stuff you see in other places.I also enjoyed the warm cookies served every afternoon, along with the complimentary wine/beer reception in the evenings. Overall, Charlotte is a wonderful city filled with warm, hospitable people and the warmth and hospitability of this city is reflected in the management and staff at the Residence Inn Uptown. I plan to return.

Room Tip: Stayed on 10th floor. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank FlipFlopGirl1791
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown is a new property in a rapidly developing neighborhood. It is next door to the Carolina Panthers' stadium, and will soon be sandwiched in between that and the new BB&T Ballpark which will host the AAA Charlotte Knights. The entire neighborhood is under construction, with many major developments currently underway. In a few years, I can see the Residence Inn Uptown as in a great location with many things to do nearby, but for now, the construction everywhere makes walking to other attractions in downtown Charlotte difficult. To remedy this, the hotel provides a shuttle service in the evenings, which operates on-demand. My friends and I took advantage of this to get to the NC Music Factory, and were pleased with the service.
The room was comfortable and had new, high quality furnishings. A Residence Inn, it contained a full kitchen (though we didn't use it). We enjoyed the free cookies, hot dogs and beer provided in the lobby in the evening.
While the front desk staff at check-in were the friendliest and most helpful such people I have ever encountered, our experience with the night concierge was less than helpful. Returning from the concert, we asked him where we might find an open restaurant (it was 1 AM). He replied with a brisk "I don't know!" and immediately went to the back area. One would expect that our request was not unusual for visitors unfamiliar with the city, and that one working the front desk at night might have at least one option in mind for people in our situation. This experience changed what would otherwise be a 5-star rating into a 4-star.
Please note that I cannot comment on the price, as the room was booked by one of my traveling companions.

Room Tip: We were told by the incredibly helpful front desk staff at check-in to opt for a room on the back (northwest-facing) side of the building, sacrificing a good view for no construction noise (we were advised work on the neighboring ballpark started early in the morning and could be loud). We took their suggestion, and did not hear a thing the next morning.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Be careful when you give your credit card details for swiping for the hotel charges as they block much more than expected and still say that the money is not cleared by your bank and still push hard to make further payments. I had overpaid at least by USD 1000 and still they were asking for more and creating a irregularity on the payment collection. All my detailing went into deaf ears as they kept on blaming the bank and bank very clearly said that its already paid to hotel and in the process hotel blocking more than USD 1000 that I was supposed to pay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dillip P
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We are extremely careful when posting charges to our guest's credit cards. Our property management system does authorize a reasonable amount over and above the expected room and tax bill due to most guests ordering room service, visiting our lobby bar/pub and/or parking charges. Any and all over-authorizations are returned, on our end, to the guest's account upon checkout. The issuing bank may hold the funds for a time period they feel reasonable, usually a few days, before returning to their customer's account but it is not due to any of our policies or procedures. We do understand that overseas banks hold onto funds longer than domestic banks.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

One of the two bathrooms had serious plumbing problems in both the toilet and the shower. Hotel was full, so we couldn't get another room. Upon checkout they discounted the room charge by 50%. We were very pleased, otherwise, with the room and the staff were over the top accommodating! We certainly will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family