“Great location & Very "Homey"”

Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown
Ranked #69 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“Great location & Very "Homey"”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had originally booked several rooms at higher priced hotels in this area, but when our party dwindled down to 3 people -- we found this little gem and were able to get a 2 bdrm suite with pull out sofa bed. I was surprised to see this was the ONLY 2-bedroom suite in Southpark!

The Southpark location makes it convenient to terrific restaurants and shopping at Southpark Mall. It's also very close to I-77 and easy to get about the city.

We appreciated having a large refrigerator, coffee maker & microwave. Room was super clean. And even the pull out sofa bed was comfortable. We requested a fan (for sleeping), as some in our party are "warmer" than others...and the hotel was able to procure one for us. The outdoor patio area was a great place for a cocktail & enjoy the evening breeze.

And the staff? Excellent!!! Everyone was friendly right down to the people in the breakfast area. I stay in hotels ALOT...but never knew the kitchen staff does a "taste test" on the hot items in the breakfast bar to be certain they're still fresh. This one does!

I'll be back -- this is a great place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GypsyAtLast
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a nice review. We appreciate it!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this Residence Inn. Seems a little more upscale than some of the others. There is a nice lobby / lounge. The suite we were in was very clean. I liked the fairly large refrigerator. Our room on 10 had a nice view of Bearden Park. The hotel has a very large parking garage and it seemed pretty secure. This location is really nice. It is in between the baseball stadium and the football stadium. It is also just several blocks from anything and everything you might want to do in downtown Charlotte. The hotel offers a shuttle if you don't want to walk to the restaurants or museums. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Select a room up high. The view is better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for the nice review. We do reside in a nice little section of the Uptown area. Please come stay with us again!
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Normally we would stay at a lower priced motel, but I was there on business. From the start, this was a great stay. There was a warm welcome when we walked in. We have found that in some of the more expensive hotels that we have been treated poorly. However, this one was great. Smiles and "welcomes" from both people behind the front desk. All of our questions were answered quickly and politely. The hotel was uptown so we were able to get a feel of the city by walking only a few blocks. Uptown was great with wonderful landscaping and much activity. Several quick places to grab a bite to eat... Back to the hotel. We didn't feel like going out for dinner so we decided to eat in the hotel. We were a little concerned as there was no formal dining room, only the bar area. We seemed to be the only ones eating there. The menu was short, but that was okay as we didn't want much. Still a little concerned about what the food would taste like. To our suprise, the food was great.

The next morning we made the statement that I would be staying a few hours longer than I thought, and they instantly said that they would back the checkout time by two hours. WOW, what a surprise. We then asked if we needed to move our car out of their part of the parking garage into the general parking side. The response was that we didn't need to move it. Again, another WOW. My wife asked if she could sit in the lobby and wait the couple of hours until I returned.... I'm sure you can guess the answer.

My kudo's to the young black man at the desk. I only wish I could remember his name. Extremely polite, extremely knowledgeable, extremely accomodating, always a smile. Residende Inn should be proud to have employed this young man.

The entire staff was great... always a smile, and always polite conversation.

The room was excellent too. Clean, comfortable and efficient.

Again, it is the staff that made this stay so great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
We were so pleased that you experienced such great service and hospitality while at our property. We will inform the team of your nice comments and thank them for going above and beyond!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have know stayed at close to a dozen hotels around Charlotte and this one is the least likely I will ever return to.

It had all the prerequisite residence inn features, large rooms, flat screen, mitchell toiletries and was in uptown. The breakfast was pretty good also which is why it even got 2 stars instead 1.Though fruit salad could use a bit more variety.

This was the most unhelpful staff except for once I have ever encountered. Late at night the front desk clerk stared at us as we pulled out room key to walk over to unlock front door and then never greeted us. I do not think we were ever greeted except while leaving the hotel to ask us how are stay was once. The area where they served breakfast doubled as the most depressing looking bar as bright lights and Denny's like furniture do not make an appealing site.

The room while large had many issues as both bathubs had cracks that were repaired with epoxy. Some of the channels on the TV had no signal in our room though were available in others.

My recommendation is the only time one should be close to this hotel is if they are using the same parking garage to go to a nearby event. How this place is ranked the 19th best in Charlotte is beyond me.

Room Tip: Any floors from 5 on down in even numbers will have view of parking garage.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bccorb
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you stated, we are ranked very high in the Charlotte market with both service and maintenance and upkeep among our highest ratings. We strive to provide friendly helpful service and preach it daily. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We are currently at 100% guest satisfaction in both arrival experience and overall service for the month of April but will continue to work on strengthening our execution in those areas.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I Stayed at this hotel from 03/19 to 03/24 and had a great time here. This hotel is convinetly located next to the BOA stadium. I was staying at the 7th floor and my room was pretty clean, quiet and comfortable. I checked in late on 03/19 & was at the bar. I requested Amy ( she is the best) to serve me dinner. Although the kictcken was closed...she spoke to the chef and ensured i had dinner. Rooms are spacious and well maintained. Two big LED's ( one in bed room) & 1 in adjoining room kept me entertained. Free Breakfast was good. I would definitely visit again

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from road...as there is construction happening across the road
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to your return!
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend away from the kids. The front desk staff was very pleasant upon arrival, our room on the 9th floor was extremely clean, quiet and comfortable. The free breakfast had a little bit of everything to offer, and plenty of tables to accommodate the guests. This hotel is right next to the new ballpark and the football stadium so it would be a perfect location to stay at if attending one of those events. The area around the hotel was lovely, we were able to walk to the area parks or sit on near by benches to watch the scenery. Our overall experience at this hotel was really great and we would definitely come back again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesJds09
We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Uptown Charlotte does have a lot to offer and it looks like your hotel stay wit us was very nice and you received the type of service we strive to deliver. We look forward to your return to our property and thank you for the nice review. Take care and safe travels.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2014

While we got off to a bit of a rocky start trying in vain to check-in late at night during a system shut down...there seemed to be no corporate back up plan or at least not one the night staff understood.

We returned the next day for our normal reservation. From that point on and for our entire 4 day visit, it was smooth sailing and a wonderful experience! We loved everything about this particular Residence Inn and will definitely return! Here is why...excellent involved professional but caring manager (Dave)...very clean rooms and common areas, nice small bar just off the lobby with light food and room service available until 11:00 PM (great bar staff), excellent breakfast (and breakfast staff), perfect location for walking and exploring Uptown or visiting friends, local hotel transport, easy reasonable parking, important to us...pet friendly. Important for non pet owners you could not tell that this is a pet friendly hotel. I have not enjoyed a hotel stay this much in a long time and usually stay at full Marriott or Courtyard hotels; we stayed here as Residence Inns generally allow well behaved pets. Thank you to the staff for being so nice to us and our pet. Our family and we hope our 15 year old Westie, Charlie, will see you again!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a dog please remember to bring pee pads and other things to help keep this...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CharlottehotelGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Uptown, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Again, I apologize for the rough start. When the property management system is disfunctional we cannot change or add any new information/reservations. I am so glad to hear that we did recover well and you and Charlie had a great stay. Come see us again.