“Not a Clean Experiance”

Ranked #96 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Not a Clean Experiance”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My suite was not up to what I would think anyone would call clean or sanitary. The bathtub was not cleaned. The carpet had suspicious red stains leading to the bathroom. The second bed was not made. The furniture looked to have been scratch up by cats. When I tried to call the front desk to report the problems I found that the phone in the room did nor work.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Corey G
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I apologize that you did not have a good experience while you were with us. Upkeep on the hotel is an ongoing process and I apologize that you had a few of the things that we are currently working on show up in your room. We have refinished many of our tubs in the past month to get rid of the problem that you had. We have replaced many chairs that have had damage and hope that it won't happen again. All carpets are cleaned and shampooed on a regular basis. Unfortunately there are time that someone spills something on the carpet that dyes the fiber. We try to get these taken care of as soon as we can but sometimes it takes some time for replacement. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and you will come back and give us another chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Franklinville, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here a month or two ago and everything fit my needs. My room was clean, the bed comfortable. I love how there's a snack/light dinner available most nites in the lobby. Normally I'll go out for dinner when out of town, but one night I wasn't starving and it was taco night and was very good. Not a full meal, because it was tacos only but it was enough for me. Breakfast is always great and the selection is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We always love to hear feedback from our guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that if you are in the Charlotte Area again that you will come back and see us. Thanks Again.
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I have stayed several times at this hotel in the last 5 years since it is conveniently located near my daughter's home. I have watched this nice property decline over the years. We most frequently stay in a 1 bedroom suite, but this time, even though I made my reservation in advance, we were put in a studio room. I had requested the 5th floor and that is where were were...Room 510. The clerk at the desk told me we would be in a "studio room". She seemed a bit apologetic and I could understand why as soon as we entered the room! I have never seen a room at ANY hotel as tiny as this!! The carpet is worn, the furniture was cracked, old, and uncomfortable. I called the desk requesting another room. She told me that she would normally upgrade me, but they were totally booked. She did say she would take $20. off our bill. Wow! We took a deep breath and made the best of a bad situation. The bed was uncomfortable, the kitchen area was so small there was not enough room to put the little bit of silverware in a drawer, so it was sitting on top of the microwave, etc. We went down for the complimentary breakfast which used to be very nice. The lady in charge was very nice, but the available items were indeed sparse!! Usually, there is a bit of fruit...this time there was only pineapple chunks and a few whole apples...usually there is some sort of bacon or sausage...this time no meat at all...usually a nice selection of yogurt...this time there were maybe 6 containers total sitting there...all around a huge disappointment, especially since it used to be so nice. They serve breakfast from 6:30 until 9:30...we were there at about 7:30 AM. I actually felt really sorry for the nice lady working there...she was so very nice with a super smile, but I think she must have been embarrassed to not have more to offer guests.
There are no vending machines on the 5th floor...or any floor. There are signs directing you to them, but they are not there. You must trek down to the desk for drinks or snacks, but neither my husband nor I could find anyone working at the desk either time we went down.
This place is located in a rather upscale area and the outside looks OK, but, sadly, it has a long way to go to be once again be considered a place I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel...:-(
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mimi5641
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. We appreciate you being a loyal customer with us. I went back and looked at your reservation and you were booked for a one bedroom suite which is what room 510 is. 510 is however one of our handicap accessible rooms and that is why there are a few differences in the rooms like the silverware being placed on the counter and not in a drawer. Our hotel is due for an upcoming renovation and I apologize if a few things have shown their wear quicker then others. We have recently recovered the arms of the chairs in the rooms that desperately needed it. I am sorry that your stay was not up to our usual standards and I thank you for letting me know. Our goal is to provide all of our guests with clean comfortable rooms and exceptional service and your feedback will help us better achieve that. Once again thank you for staying with us and I apologize for any inconveniences that you may have had while with us. I hope that you come back and give us another chance to show you what a great hotel we have.
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed for the first time at the Residence Inn Piper Glen this month with my usual hotel in the area booked. Was overall a nice spot. Rooms were clean. Appliances were a bit dated but functional and served their purpose - nothing broken or unkempt. Beds weren't the best, hence my average rating on the rooms. Just seemed to be older and fairly firm - if that's what you like, then no problem. Staff was excellent - very warm and inviting. Amenities were also above what I would expect with the customary daily breakfast, but also a cocktail and dinner hour. Very nice outside patio and seating area with small firepit. All said, a good hotel with a lot of amenities in comparison to similarly priced hotels I've stayed at.

• Stayed April 2013
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your stay. Also, thank your for all of the great comments. I'm apologize that the bed was not to your liking, but i'm glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. The next time that you are in the area, we hope that you visit us again.
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

I attended a training session in Charlotte and the facilitators chose the Residence Inn as the hotel to stay in for the duration of the training. I was very pleased with the accommodations. Clean room, full kitchen, breakfast, and friendly staff - what more could you ask for in a hotel!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you were so pleased with your stay. Please come back and see us again the next time that you are in town.
myrtle beach
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I Always stay at Marriott, Primarily Residence Inn. I actually lived in one while my son was in the hospital. I try to give my honest opinion, and be fair with my expectations.

The outside of this property is beautiful, the location is great. It is in a very nice part of town, and feels very safe.

check-in was fine. The lady at the front desk was extremely helpful and courtesy. that's about the best thing I can say for the front desk. The rest of the stay, I never saw anyone at the desk. I actually waited for almost 10 minutes to pay for a soda from the market there. I am glad this hotel was in a safe location because anyone could walk in the hotel via the front door, which is scary. We came in one night via the front door at 1130 PM and no one was at the front desk. We were up front chatting for several minutes and never saw anyone behind the desk. Made me a little Leary about our safety. You do not have to use a key card to get in the front door, the doors just automatically open.

We always get a 2 bedroom suite and are rarely disappointed. However, this Marriott needs some updating. The carpets were dirty, we had no trash bags in ANY trash cans ( more on that in a minute) and the furniture was VERY worn. The chair looked like a wild animal had gotten a hold of it.

Okay, so here is how the hotel handled one of my complaints. When we noticed that we did not have any trash bags in the cans , I called the front desk. we were traveling with our 9 month old and you can imagine how important a trash can is. The front desk answered the phone ( 830 PM) , I informed them about the missing bags and the VERY RUDE GIRL stated " you can come get some down here". I informed her that we were in our PJ's with our baby asleep and that she would need to bring them to our room. ( we were on the first floor, not a far walk for her at all). She rudely said it will "be awhile". 15 minutes later she banged on our door, basically threw the trash bags at me and kept walking. I called out to her " Excuse me, what is your name...she snidely told me. This is not the customer service that I am used to receiving through Marriott, so I emailed Elite Customer Service.

I received a canned type response with the name of a manager that would be calling me. When I had heard nothing by afternoon, I stopped by the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. I was informed that there " was no manager available on weekends" really......

I again emailed Elite customer service and informed them that no one had contacted me. About 4 hrs later I got a VM from a very polite, well spoken lady who apologized for our experience. They gave us a partial room credit and some extra bonus points on our Marriott Rewards card. Although this was greatly appreciated it does not make up for the lack of Customer Service, Lack of safety, and badly needed updating/repairs in the room. I think that I have reasonable expectations and you can read my other reviews on Marriott's. I try to be fair and only state the facts. I hope this helps....

As a side note....The breakfast was just average. They were out of apple juice, yogurt parfaits and
several other standard key items that are available at other Residence INN's. While this could be an isolated situation...they certainly did not make any effort to replenish during our stay.

On a positive note the staff that attended to the breakfast area was courtesy and kind. They helped us make a waffle , as they could see we had our hands full. that was very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank scnurseMyrtleBeach
Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your stay at the Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen. Our goal is to provide all of our guest with a clean, comfortable room and exceptional customer service. I apologize that we did not accomplish our goal during your stay. Thank you for your compliments about the service you received from our staff at check in and during breakfast. I apologize that the other issues that you had were not handled to the best of our ability. I hope that you will come back and give us another chance to show you what a great hotel we really are. Once again thank you for staying with us and for you honest feedback and I apologize for the inconveniences that you had while you were here.
Miami
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Friendly and helpful while having breakfast with family. The breakfast host was very kind and attentive and so was the front desk staff. Very close to major areas like restaurants, mall, movie theatre and so much more.

• Stayed March 2013
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Our customers feedback is always important to us. Thank you also for the kind words about our staff. They really do a great job and I am very proud of them for that. Please come back and stay with us again if you are in the area. Thanks and have a great day!!