“Hotel is old & musty with bad mushy beds”

Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen
Ranked #96 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Hotel is old & musty with bad mushy beds”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Booked here b/c of sports travel team - room smells musty, carpet worn and stained but worst of all is the bed which is a mush pit-my back aches and I've only been in bed for 30min. Dread how I will feel in the morning- I will check out and find a different hotel for the rest of our stay. Shocked Marriot does not update their hotels - this is awful. Front desk was very nice at check in and is making an effort to quiet the rowdy people by fire pit., but nothing makes up for this bed. Also my son is sleeping on sofa sleeper and it is the worst one I have ever seen - not flat, sinks in middle and you can feel metal coils- if carpet wasn't gross he would sleep in floor. Marriot should be ashamed to put their name on this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank catherine c
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. It is always good to hear feedback. I appreciate the kind words about my staff and will pass it on to them. We are currently working with our owners on renovations plans for next year. I hope that you give us another chance the next time your team is in town. Thanks for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
nc
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had several rooms here for my son's wedding guests who came from all over the world. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet. I really enjoyed the pool, Jacuzzi and the fire pit at night!
The breakfast was awesome and a nice assortment was available. The front desk personnel were amazing and helped us with any and all requests! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. If you need your nails done, go to NiNi Nails across the street. If you need your hair done, go to the Aveeda salon in the mall down the street. Applebees is great for a cocktail to wind down after a busy day as well.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is a winner!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much for the great feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and thanks for choosing the Residence Inn - Charlotte Piper Glen for your sons wedding.
myrtle beach
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Okay, I was In the area and gave this hotel a second chance. Front desk staff was friendly and courtesy. The room was better this time, but still needs some upgrading. The furnishing are worn. The worst part about this stay was our room faced the noisy pool. We were traveling with our toddler and the pool noise woke him up. Any parent knows how frustrating that is. I called the front desk to ask what time the pool closed bc the in room book stated 9 pm, it was 930. The front desk staff told me 10 pm. Promptly at 10 pm, he went out there and made the kids leave the pool- thank goodness!!!

Overall, I gave the hotel a second chance like the manager said in his response. There was some improvement, but still need to refurbish the rooms, and do not face the pool!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank scnurseMyrtleBeach
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for giving us a second chance and for letting us know how it went. We are in the planning process of our renovation and hopefully that will begin soon. I apologize for the pool noise but i am glad to hear that my staff handled it promptly at 10pm. I hope you will come back and stay with us again. Thanks
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The dream: walking in the Scottish moors, with dawn just coloring the east. At the cusp of dark giving way to light, I spy a cairn, one in a line of cairns that march to the distant border of the moor. Beside the cairn, I see a thistle, both harsh and pretty, peeking from the shadows of the piled rock flakes. Looking more closely, I see that it has begun to wither, and suddenly, the silence is pierced by a GWEEE-HOOOOOOSH-GGGGG-CAH-LUNK!!!

Startled awake, I spring ready to attack the creature that has invaded our room, and find nothing but darkness, a pleasant flow of cool air, and a wife with eyes as big as saucers also shocked awake by the unearthly sound.

If the reader hasn't figured this out by now, well, it was the air conditioner. I don't quite know if it's a bad bearing, return valve, or some combination of both, but it is not pleasant. So some attention should be given to that unit.

Also, while the room and hallways appeared clean, there is a sense of shabbiness that seems to be setting in. I do not mind pet-friendly hotels, but extra care should really be given to eliminating the presence (fur, odor) of these family members to the maximum extent. We always know when we get a "dog room." Yes, it was that noticeable. As Agent Smith quipped, "It's the smell."

A colleague had recently discovered insect bites on his ankle after a night at a different Marriott facility, so that got me a little paranoid about bed bugs. Looking under the mattress, I saw no sign (fortunately) of the little critters, but I did discover that the bed's foundation is reinforced by a piece of OSB plywood, maybe 3' x 4' in size, slipped under the mattress. A clever and economical way to protect the bed's foundation, but it is probably the reason why some folks noticed a less than optimal sleep experience.

I gave this facility an "Average" because the condition is not irrecoverable. However, these observations indicate a declining trend. Marriott properties are supposed to have standards, and maintaining these standards requires time and attention. In any case, do not see myself returning to this particular hotel any time soon.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher floors are less degraded.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback of our hotel during your recent stay. I apologize that you were awakened from your sleep. The noise that you heard was from the elevator that is located near that room. I am sorry that we did not have another room available to put you in. If you are in the area again please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to make your reservation for us and I will make sure that your experience is a more pleasurable one. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We've stayed at this hotel for years when visiting family and I am happy to say that this residence inn has kept up with their maintenance and upkeep. The bed however is on need of a new mattress. Skip the breakfast not worth dodging the screaming kids for very little selection.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback for your recent stay at the Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to make the hotel a better place everyday and we are glad that you have noticed our work. We are currently looking at options to replace our mattresses to help our guests enjoy our rooms even more. Once again thanks for your feedback and for staying with us.
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My suite was not up to what I would think anyone would call clean or sanitary. The bathtub was not cleaned. The carpet had suspicious red stains leading to the bathroom. The second bed was not made. The furniture looked to have been scratch up by cats. When I tried to call the front desk to report the problems I found that the phone in the room did nor work.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Corey G
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I apologize that you did not have a good experience while you were with us. Upkeep on the hotel is an ongoing process and I apologize that you had a few of the things that we are currently working on show up in your room. We have refinished many of our tubs in the past month to get rid of the problem that you had. We have replaced many chairs that have had damage and hope that it won't happen again. All carpets are cleaned and shampooed on a regular basis. Unfortunately there are time that someone spills something on the carpet that dyes the fiber. We try to get these taken care of as soon as we can but sometimes it takes some time for replacement. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and you will come back and give us another chance.
Franklinville, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here a month or two ago and everything fit my needs. My room was clean, the bed comfortable. I love how there's a snack/light dinner available most nites in the lobby. Normally I'll go out for dinner when out of town, but one night I wasn't starving and it was taco night and was very good. Not a full meal, because it was tacos only but it was enough for me. Breakfast is always great and the selection is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We always love to hear feedback from our guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that if you are in the Charlotte Area again that you will come back and see us. Thanks Again.