“I felt at home”

Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen
Ranked #99 of 182 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I usually stay at Marriott with my family when we travel but we were having some work done to the house and we decided to stay loyal to the brand. The property is a little dated but the staff is great and welcoming. Breakfast was good and my kids slept like babies on the comfortable beds. We were angry that our home took longer than expected, but we felt at home. I especially took to one front desk agent, Marisa. She was great, great smile, great personality and she is made for the hospitality industry. My husband is hard to please but he was truly satisfied with her performance. We were traveling from uptown area one Sunday afternoon when we saw her car on the side of the road and her tire was split. She was in tears and had been waiting for quite awhile, we pulled over to help and my husband offered to switch her tire but neither of us had the tools, the state trooper pulled over as well and helped her contact someone, so we carried on. Usually, i would think nothing of it but i was waiting at the front desk later in our stay almost about a week later and i could hear an employee speaking with someone behind the desk somewhere loudly ! She was speaking about Marisa's car situation, basically calling her a liar and that she just didn't want to come to work. I was baffled ! She was so unprofessional and very rude. She is usually there on weekends and she brings her negative attitude every time. I wanted to speak with a manager but my husband suggested that I write it here with hopes that corporate reprimands her for her unprofessional behavior ! The cursing was loud enough for me to hear and it left a bad taste in my mouth about management to hire such a classless woman. I asked her name later that morning,"Nicky" she answered with attitude, probably upset that I interrupted her conversation with other employees. I hope she feels horrible for slandering this young woman's name when she was telling the truth. Again, thank you to Marisa ! Your future is bright and I wish you well. Ignore the ignorance.

Room Tip: Get an inside room, the I-485 noise can get annoying
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn and for taking the time to review your experience with us. I appreciate the kind words about our hotel and especially about Marissa. She is a great employee and we are lucky to have her. I thank you for stopping to make sure she was safe the day she had car trouble. We are handling the other situation internally but we do appreciate you bringing it to our attention. It is not the way we usually do business here at the Residence Inn and I apologize that you witnessed that. Thanks again for your comments

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We just spent three nights at this hotel as we were visiting our son and family for the Thanksgiving Holiday. We could not help but notice the shabbiness of the furniture - ancient! All scratched up as well. Then the bed -- it was beyond soft. Just awful. The least you can do is give people a clean room, clean linens, and a firm bed. As soon as I laid down, my pinched spinal nerves began to scream. I went out to the couch where I spent the rest of the night. Then I tried to sleep on the hideabed for the next two nights, which was just as bad. I have been in bed at home for three days, trying to get my spine back in shape. This furniture has been bad for a long time - and it seems that Marriott properties wait far too long to do their updating. Furniture must be comfortable. In addition, we had problems with the heat. The blower would always come on, blowing cold air out at a fierce speed and with so much noise. Cold air when you say heat? On the other side, the help were all very pleasant and accomodating. I agree, tho, the breakfast was lacking, inclouding soupy, watery oatmeal every day.In addition, nowhere did it say that our room keycards would lock us out of the end door at 11 PM. and 11 AM. the day we left. This caused problems Thanksgiving night, and a lot of walking, when I could no longer walk, due to my handicap.Ours was the end room right above the end door. We could not park in the front as all spaces were taken In fact, there was no checkout time even posted in the room! Please help this hotel immediately. We will not be back, that is for sure.

Room Tip: There was no outside noise due to the winter temperatures!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate all of the kind words about the staff. We do understand your concerns about the furniture of the conditions and the mattresses. Our hotel will be renovated in 2014 and these issues will be addressed. We hope that you come back and see what a great hotel we have again. Thanks.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The staff was very polite but the design of this facility was not very well thought out. Only one elevator and the outside pool was closed for the season. The room was adequate with a nice kitchen with full size appliances but the sofa bed was uncomfortable for anyone but an exhausted 16 year old. The king size bed was comfortable enough for us but the traffic noise from 485 would have been too much had we not had our ear plugs. Even ear plugs were not enough for the Republic trash truck banging the dumpster at 0545 on a Saturday morning. Hint: we had a 5th floor odd numbered room....go for the even side away from the dumpster. The breakfast offering was adequate....nothing special and they have their own coffee brand. I wasn't a fan... The athletes in our group enjoyed the fire pit, which was a nice touch. There are a number of restaurants and shopping in the area. (Ballantyne)

Room Tip: I would go for the even numbered rooms away from I-485. This needs to be balanced from other folks...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback from your recent stay. I appreciate the compliments about my staff. I apologize that your stay was not as good as it could have been and that you were woken up during the night. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time with us.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Booked here b/c of sports travel team - room smells musty, carpet worn and stained but worst of all is the bed which is a mush pit-my back aches and I've only been in bed for 30min. Dread how I will feel in the morning- I will check out and find a different hotel for the rest of our stay. Shocked Marriot does not update their hotels - this is awful. Front desk was very nice at check in and is making an effort to quiet the rowdy people by fire pit., but nothing makes up for this bed. Also my son is sleeping on sofa sleeper and it is the worst one I have ever seen - not flat, sinks in middle and you can feel metal coils- if carpet wasn't gross he would sleep in floor. Marriot should be ashamed to put their name on this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank catherine c

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. It is always good to hear feedback. I appreciate the kind words about my staff and will pass it on to them. We are currently working with our owners on renovations plans for next year. I hope that you give us another chance the next time your team is in town. Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had several rooms here for my son's wedding guests who came from all over the world. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet. I really enjoyed the pool, Jacuzzi and the fire pit at night!
The breakfast was awesome and a nice assortment was available. The front desk personnel were amazing and helped us with any and all requests! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. If you need your nails done, go to NiNi Nails across the street. If you need your hair done, go to the Aveeda salon in the mall down the street. Applebees is great for a cocktail to wind down after a busy day as well.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is a winner!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and thanks for choosing the Residence Inn - Charlotte Piper Glen for your sons wedding.

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Okay, I was In the area and gave this hotel a second chance. Front desk staff was friendly and courtesy. The room was better this time, but still needs some upgrading. The furnishing are worn. The worst part about this stay was our room faced the noisy pool. We were traveling with our toddler and the pool noise woke him up. Any parent knows how frustrating that is. I called the front desk to ask what time the pool closed bc the in room book stated 9 pm, it was 930. The front desk staff told me 10 pm. Promptly at 10 pm, he went out there and made the kids leave the pool- thank goodness!!!

Overall, I gave the hotel a second chance like the manager said in his response. There was some improvement, but still need to refurbish the rooms, and do not face the pool!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank scnurseMyrtleBeach
Craig A, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for giving us a second chance and for letting us know how it went. We are in the planning process of our renovation and hopefully that will begin soon. I apologize for the pool noise but i am glad to hear that my staff handled it promptly at 10pm. I hope you will come back and stay with us again. Thanks

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The dream: walking in the Scottish moors, with dawn just coloring the east. At the cusp of dark giving way to light, I spy a cairn, one in a line of cairns that march to the distant border of the moor. Beside the cairn, I see a thistle, both harsh and pretty, peeking from the shadows of the piled rock flakes. Looking more closely, I see that it has begun to wither, and suddenly, the silence is pierced by a GWEEE-HOOOOOOSH-GGGGG-CAH-LUNK!!!

Startled awake, I spring ready to attack the creature that has invaded our room, and find nothing but darkness, a pleasant flow of cool air, and a wife with eyes as big as saucers also shocked awake by the unearthly sound.

If the reader hasn't figured this out by now, well, it was the air conditioner. I don't quite know if it's a bad bearing, return valve, or some combination of both, but it is not pleasant. So some attention should be given to that unit.

Also, while the room and hallways appeared clean, there is a sense of shabbiness that seems to be setting in. I do not mind pet-friendly hotels, but extra care should really be given to eliminating the presence (fur, odor) of these family members to the maximum extent. We always know when we get a "dog room." Yes, it was that noticeable. As Agent Smith quipped, "It's the smell."

A colleague had recently discovered insect bites on his ankle after a night at a different Marriott facility, so that got me a little paranoid about bed bugs. Looking under the mattress, I saw no sign (fortunately) of the little critters, but I did discover that the bed's foundation is reinforced by a piece of OSB plywood, maybe 3' x 4' in size, slipped under the mattress. A clever and economical way to protect the bed's foundation, but it is probably the reason why some folks noticed a less than optimal sleep experience.

I gave this facility an "Average" because the condition is not irrecoverable. However, these observations indicate a declining trend. Marriott properties are supposed to have standards, and maintaining these standards requires time and attention. In any case, do not see myself returning to this particular hotel any time soon.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher floors are less degraded.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback of our hotel during your recent stay. I apologize that you were awakened from your sleep. The noise that you heard was from the elevator that is located near that room. I am sorry that we did not have another room available to put you in. If you are in the area again please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to make your reservation for us and I will make sure that your experience is a more pleasurable one. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.