“This hotel exceded our expectations!”

Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We had a really positive experience at this hotel! First, upon arrival, I was greeted by a very friendly desk clerk that informed me that I had received a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite. It was clean, comfortable and just overall exceeded our expectations. Further, it was a Thursday evening, and they saved us the price of eating dinner out, because they offered a complimentary "reception" where we were able to make hoagies, which were just the perfect thing before we went to Carowinds for the evening.

I should state at this time, that we were scheduled to stay here for two nights after a trip to FL on our return to PA (a nice stop-over place). We spent most of Friday at Carowinds, but I was catching a cold, and my boys were ready to play with friends at home, so instead of staying for the second night, we decided to just drive the remaining 6 hours home that evening so we could sleep in in the morning.

I felt bad leaving such a nice place early, because it really was so comfortable...but at 4:30, I checked out, and without even my asking, the lady at the desk only charged us for the first night. I have to say that they went above and beyond on our stay!

We will now actively search for StayBridge Suites when we travel!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 April 2009

First impressions are good and this hotel definately makes you feel good about what you are about ready to get into.
I had a room on the first floor and it was great, clean and spacious and comfy bed!! My colleague though had other problems. He had to switch rooms 3 times! He had experienced a broken toliet and a dirty room and unknown substance located in numerous areas on the last room! He said he was tired of changing rooms.
I on the other hand was fortunate and had no complaints. The property is beautiful and there is an outdoor pool, basketball court and mini store to buy stuff to use in your kitchenette. The lobby area has comfy couches and a big screen TV not too mention smaller TV's at some tables, a small business area and some DVD's to borrow.
The lobby area offers free beer and wine and soda and coffee at night. There is also food offered everynight at no charge. The night we were there they offered homemade soup and salad. The following night was going to be taco night! The breakfast is huge and complimentary. They offer everything under the sun and well worth stopping by for a quick bite to eat.
Overall my stay was good, my colleague has a different opinion though....

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2009

1. Checked in and looked at suite on 2nd floor. Unacceptable. Asked to be moved to 1st floor ( Have pet-convenience), Okay; no problem. Checked in, moved in, went to go potty. Toilet ROCKED! Called and asked to be moved. Was told that there were no other rooms on 1st floor ( found out that this was complete BS the next am ). Decided to stay, convenience was a factor. Had maintenance fix the toilet. Unpacked and tried to shower---BIG PROBLEM!! Only half of the water came out of the shower head, the rest 'whined' out of the spout...oh well, I can deal with this [--] on my head for a few days, but...I proceeded to cook a pizza that I had purchased earlier, and guess what? NO OVEN. There is a full sized dishwasher and a micro and two burner stove, but NO OVEN! So here I am, with my frozen pizza, I call the front desk and ask if I can have it cooked in the kitchen and I am told 'NO'. Okay...I can still deal with this, I think. I make a little something out of crackers and cheese and go to wash my dish; guess what? The kitchen sink nozzle completely splashes my PJ's with water because like the shower head, it's [--]!!! Where is the room inspector and the plumber on this Staybridge site? They have no problem telling me that they have to charge $100 pet fee ( regardless of the duration of stay ), but cannot seem to have a plumber take care of the basic necessities of the suites! Okay, so after the plumbing fiasco and my inability to sleep because of an extremely loud HVAC unit, I was woken to the pleasure of a very rude front desk person at 7:30AM. She wanted to know if I was in my room, and not the room that I had looked at yesterday.
EXCUSE ME???? I told this woman that I WAS certainly in the room that she was calling...( DUH ), and she proceeded to ask me if I intended to ' leave' ( I think she meant check out ). I could have screamed! The list goes on and on...if you are a fastidious and/or a meticulous person who enjoys traveling, do yourself a favor, pass on this Staybridge!!! If you have to stay here due to points / location, bring your Clorox wipes and be prepared to virtually 'camp out', without much support from the glassy eyed front desk personnel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ApresTour2
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I booked a room at the Staybridge Suites through Hotwire for 53.00 a night. After reading the reviews I was a little nervous about staying here but it was not so bad. The room was a small studio with a full kitchen and queens size bed, plenty of room for 2 people but no more.

I stayed only two nights to see some family and visit Carowinds. The hotel is close to the park and highway but you have to drive about 15 minutes for resteraunts and shopping. The hotel does provide free breakfast. The food was not very good and you have to get there early or food is gone. The staff is friendly and helpful especially the day manager she was very nice. There is a nice pool, BBQ grill, and basketball courts guest have access too. We took advantage of the dvd rentals our first night. After returning to the hotel late one night we were happy to see a security guard patrolling the parking lot.

As for service staff could do a better job cleanning the rooms. Upon check in I noticed the bed sheets were not changed so when I went down to request the sheets to be changed, I was told the housekeeper left for the day instead she gave us a different room across the hall. Also, the bed was uncomfortable and I found it difficult to see. Overall it was an ok stay for the price I paid. But if you stay longer than a couple of nights I would choose a different hotel due to their cleaning policy.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jdyanne
Reviewed 5 July 2008

We recently spent one night here on our way to Savannah. My first impression of the hotel was that it wasn't very clean. But we had plenty of room and we were just staying one night. We picked this one because it was right off the interstate.
Don't park in the back!! The desk clerk suggested we park there because of the location of our room. Big mistake! We were parked right under a light, but our truck was broken into. They smashed in the passenger side window and stole our GPS. We heard the next day that another guest saw them and scared them away. Apparently they did it before security had arrived.
The desk clerk did give us directions to Glass Doctor, but didn't seem very concerned. I asked her if their insurance covered it, and she said sometimes. But they have signs that say "Park at your own risk". We tried to call the police, and the same clerk said that sometimes they come out and sometimes they don't. Which made me think that it happens quite a bit.
This was a bad way to start our vacation. We spent several hours waiting to get our window fixed.
This was first time we have ever stayed at Staybridge, and it will probably be the last. It doesn't compare to Homewood Suites.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jacquina
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times. The staff is very friendly, rooms are clean and breakfast is nice.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2007

I recently completed a stay at Staybridge. It was awful. I killed a bed bug in my bed. My shower curtain rod had black mold on it. My heater/air conditioning unit was missing ALL the knobs. And minorly my remote control did not work. The cleanliness of this hotel is completely sub-standard!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tilebabe