“Spacious Clean Room”

Ranked #104 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Lexington, South Carolina
“Spacious Clean Room”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very nice spacious room with all the amenities. Full kitchen with regular size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, etc.... price was reasonable and the staff was very accommodating. I was charged $35 for pet fee for 1 night which I thought was high compared to other Choice hotels who charge $10-$15/night. Nice grassy area to walk dog. Safe parking. I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on our property, we know how busy we all get and it is greatly appreciated that you took time to write a response on your visit to our property. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Middleburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at this place and we were very pleased with everything we experienced. Our room was spacious and clean. The general staff whom we met were most friendly and did everything we expected. We felt safe in the building and in the parking area at night. The breakfast foods available each morning were more than sufficient for our needs and the dining area was always immaculate. Some of the credit for this is due Rene Chavez, Asst. General Manager, who seemed to go out of his way to make our stay comfortable. We would definitely stay at this facility again if ever in the Charlotte area in the future. We were in Charlotte this time as a result of volunteering at the Operation Christmas Child processing center.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for giving us positive feed back and for being so kind to mention Rene. Rene does do an excellent job in taking care of our guest and we certainly appreciate your comments. We also appreciate the work you do for Operation Christmas Child and look forward to seeing you again next year.
Brookville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Excellent service by all the staff here! Stayed here for a month over the summer and enjoyed it immensely! Stayed a week in December with a group of 11 and again the service was excellent! Everyone was very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking your time to comment on your stay here at the MainStay Suites. We are always happy to hear that our guest are happy with our service, and we appreciate that you chose to come back to see us during the holiday season. We look forward to you coming back in the future, and we are excited to share with you that we are under renovations. It will even be better when you come back. Thank you again.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The good:
General staff seemed nice enough, especially the cleaning staff. Simple breakfast well presented. Good room service but only once a week or if requested which was fine with me. Easy check in/out. Great sound insulation from other rooms. Full size fridge with ice maker. Nice sunny outlook from the rear rooms. Comfy bed.

The bad:
The room did not have pets but pet smell was pervasive throughout the hotel. I warned the hotel before arriving that I was extremely allergic but when talking to a manager about my reaction during breakfast each morning he tried to tell me it was just the pollen outside. That was pretty insulting. I had to buy a big air filter for my room in order to cope. A week later and I am still recovering from allergic reaction to the animals in the hotel. A very average hotel with great management will get 5 stars from me. A good hotel with management who cannot accept criticism will not rate highly with me. What I needed to hear: "How can we fix this?" What I didn't need to hear "There is no problem."

But there is a problem. The smell in the corridors is overwhelming. Is it the smell of animal urine? On one day there was a bad smell of cat vomit in the hall ways. On most days the elevator smelled of smoke. The general clientele did not seem to care with one person taking his cereal away from the eating area, dropping it in the corridor, and not bothering to tell anyone. The bottom line is, do not go to this hotel if you are the least susceptible to animal allergies.

There is no air extraction in the bathroom. There was a small vent there that seemed to have a small breeze coming into the bathroom. This spreads the problem of the smelly hotel as smelly air seems to be drawn into the rooms via the bathroom vent. When the cleaning staff left the bathroom door open the whole room was smelly again. It’s pretty surprising to not have air extraction. Mould grows quickly here.

They closed the pool when I arrived. Apparently I had managed to arrive at the end of the season. This seemed nuts to me as the pool certificate was fine for another month and the outside temperature was stifling hot. I sent an email to management and their reply said they would get back to me but they did not. Wow… really?

The icon of their fitness gym uses the symbol of weights and yet there are no weights or weight machines. The smell in that tiny room was gut wrenching. Again, not air extraction, only an AC unit.

As mentioned in other reviews, there were “stains” on the towels and cig burns in the blankets.

Free wifi with strong signal and good coverage but be warned, it is SLOW ( 0.2 Mbps). Too slow for youtube streaming. You can upgrade to 2 Mbps for a cost. Normal ADSL in NZ goes at about 18 Mbps. I mentioned this to management and the reply was that there was no problem, no one ever complained, and that selecting the lowest quality would fix the issue.

The hotel uses the typical older AC unit and not a modern inverter so is either full on or off. The external units are on the ground floor so pick a room higher up, preferably on the rear side of the hotel to catch the sun.

A couple I met at the elevator were laughing to each other while playing black gangster rap/hiphop with loud sexual swearing on their phone. This was the only time I heard swearing in the Bible Belt of Charlotte. The elevator sounds like it’s dying but it only broke down once while I was there.

Summary:
This could be a great hotel but it needs management that cares, the removal of pets, and the installation of a healthy air extraction and ventilation system. And opening the pool if someone wants to use it wouldn’t hurt either.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise. 207 and 205 are well placed on the rear with sunny outlook...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KiwiTrev
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
I would like to Thank You for your comments- You taking time to inform me of your stay is most appreciated. I will try to address a couple of items. We are a pet friendly hotel, but we do a deep cleaning on any room that a pet stays in. This does not mean that a person with allergies could not detect pet smells. I apologize that it was apparent to you and that your allegies acted up. I also apologize that you felt my AGM was unattentive. We are aware of our need to update our hotel and your comments are most appreciated. We are actually starting renovations, including new carpet in rooms and corridors-we are very excited about the new changes that will be made. As for the pool, our pool is open from April 30 through Oct 1- our hours are from 10-10 depending on weather and chemical balance. I am sorry that you were not able to use the pool. If you care to give us another try, please contact me personally and I will make sure that your stay is above expectations. Our renovations should be completed by March 1st. Thank you again!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 September 2013

the price was right. No roaches or funky smell on our hallway. We stayed for about 3 weeks. Its not a Marriott or Hyatt but it was clean, staff professional, safe area to park your car. All rooms are located inside the building, with card access to get into the building and rooms. This is an efficiency room. pots/pans cooking utensils, plates, cups, bowls, utensils, knives, fulls size refrigerator, two stove electric burner, microwave, no ovens, coffee maker can openers Continental Breakfast menu: Hot Waffles (you make yourself, cold cereals, oatmeal, fruits Apples or Bananas, yogurts, Danishes, Bagels, toast and all the condiments coffee 24 hrs and tea) No breakfast meats. No problem, next door is a breakfast place, across the street is a Jack In the box, Wendy's and Taco bell, With other convenient restaurants nearby
Laundry facility on the first floor. $1.75 per load for 30 minutes.
$1.50 for the dryer (60 mins). Convenient machine to buy detergent and fabric softener.
Free WiFi and also Ethernet connection lines for more security using VPN.
For the Beddings: I suggest you bring your own favorite Blanket and Pillows. Although they are
clean, In my opinion they are not sufficient blanket too thin. Although you can request more.
towels are decent, not very thick, but clean.
Small work out facility. Very Clean two equipment. Treadmill, Elliptical cold h20 fountain and
TV and mirrors.
If you book for more than 4 nights you get a better rate. Also I always bring my glade Air plugins when I travel, candles and Lysol spray. Never know when you may need it.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying along time, suggest to get the first floor, easy access to the laundry room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NDQCOUP
Wow....Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We greatly appreciate and welcome all comments, good and bad, this helps us keep a track on how we are doing and where we can improve. Thank you again, please come back and see us.
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My family and I stayed at the MainStay Suite in Charlotte, NC the weekend of Mother's Day until the weekend after and I have to commend a few of the staff members, which are Rene Chavez, Kiasha, Charlie, Julio and Micah, who went far and beyond to make my family and myself stay there a very comfortable one. They staff I have mentioned are friendly, accommodating, shows concern and make sure that everything is up to par in your rooms. There was nothing extra that I asked them for that they didn't make sure that it was done in an orderly fashion. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Charlotte, NC. I just want to say thanks to all that I mentioned above for helping me and my family and making sure that we were comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
I would like to Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Its nice to get good feedback and to know that our staff is doing a great job. Please come back and see us when traveling through Charlotte.
Iowa
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The reviews we read can't be real. The hallway stunk so bad we had to hold our nose when going to our room. The stained furniture is discussing. The towels are old and stained also. The bathroom is wallpapered if that gives you any idea when the last time they had a update. No exhaust fan for the bathroom. The air conditioner is a unit on the outside wall and then a fan in the wall between the living space and bedroom. It's stuck in the 1980's. I just hope we did bring anything away from there that is contagious. For the $99. a night we will be staying somewhere else the next time through.

Room Tip: Don't stay here I was afraid to walk on the dark carpeting after seeing how stained the furnitur...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cookiedear
I do appreciate your comments, I am not sure what took place during your stay because our guest are usually extreemely happy with their stay. However, I do realize that our decor is somewhat dated but our rooms are quites spacious and clean. Good news though, we are starting renovations this month that will include carpet and the bathroom wallpaper, along with other great things. We take pride in our hotel and normally we exceed our guest expectations. We would like for you to give us another try......I would like to offer you a night on us-please give me a call if you are coming back to Charlotte and mention the Trip Advisor comment and I will have you be my guest. Renovations should be completed by March 1st 2014. Thank you!