“Average hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Mebane, North Carolina
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I went in having my expectations way too high. If you go in there thinking of a Quality Inn in suite form, you won't be as disappointed. I actually prefer Quality Inn, though. Our room had a terrible smell. It made us nauseous. The continental breakfast had no meat or protein at all. The waffles tasted horrible. The pool was dirty. The guy at the desk was condescending and unprofessional. The A/C unit in our room was super loud. The kitchen in our room was very old, and we had no way to wash the dishes. There was also no place to sit down and eat, so we had to use the couch for that. We really did not enjoy our time at this hotel. The beds were comfortable enough and the room was clean. That was its saving grace. The other good thing is that when we explained the problems we had, management did listen and thanked us for the feedback.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your comments, please let me apologize to you that you did not enjoy your stay. I will certainly look into your comments and see where we failed and how we can improve. We always appreciate the feedback, as we try to exceed our guest expectations. As for our breakfast, we are an extended stay hotel, and Choice standards are a deluxe continental breakfast, which unfortunately does not include meats but we do offer yogurt for protein.
Thank you again for giving us a try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Greensburg, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We found the suite to be comfortable and clean and the staff both at check in and check out were very friendly and accommodating. There was a problem with the ice-maker in the refrigerator, but an attendant quickly brought us some from the ice-machine. The only negative comment I would make, and this is true of many hotels, is there is not a gluten free cereal or pastry choice with the breakfast. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I appreciate your comments upon check out regarding the breakfast request and suggestions. We are actually replacing one of our cereals with a gluten free cereal as you suggested. We are also trying to make other considerations as well. We enjoyed speaking with you and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank you for choosing MainStay Suites.
Hinesville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I've stayed at quite a few hotels before, but this is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The bed was comfortable, the flat screen tv had plenty of channels, the pots and pans in the kitchenette were convienient, the refrigerator kept my apple and orange juice super cold, I enjoyed the shower settings between regular jets and massage, I loved the hair dryer, I stretched out on the couch in the little living room area and did my homework, I used the laundry room to wash my clothes, the little market in the hotel near the front desk where I purchased drinks, frozen foods, candy (YES THEY HAVE A MARKET FOR YOUR CONVIENIENCE), the breakfast each morning, and the hotel is close to the bus line . The only downside to my visit was the wifi worked at broadband speed. I'm used to 12 mps high speed internet at home but I didn't let that get me down, I just dealt with it. The only other thing is there is no daily housekeeping but only once a week. If you run out of towels, they'll be happy to give you some more at the front desk. I would like to thank Julio and the other staff members at the front desk for making my stay pleasant. I really enjoyed my stay and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was in room 115. I asked for a room on the bottom floor because I didn't feel like hauling my...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you so much for your recent comments about your visit to MainStay.. We always Welcome feedback from our guest about their stay and we certainly appreciate that you enjoyed your accomodations.. We look forward to your next visit.
Janet Shaver
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very nice spacious room with all the amenities. Full kitchen with regular size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, etc.... price was reasonable and the staff was very accommodating. I was charged $35 for pet fee for 1 night which I thought was high compared to other Choice hotels who charge $10-$15/night. Nice grassy area to walk dog. Safe parking. I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on our property, we know how busy we all get and it is greatly appreciated that you took time to write a response on your visit to our property. We look forward to your next visit.
Middleburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at this place and we were very pleased with everything we experienced. Our room was spacious and clean. The general staff whom we met were most friendly and did everything we expected. We felt safe in the building and in the parking area at night. The breakfast foods available each morning were more than sufficient for our needs and the dining area was always immaculate. Some of the credit for this is due Rene Chavez, Asst. General Manager, who seemed to go out of his way to make our stay comfortable. We would definitely stay at this facility again if ever in the Charlotte area in the future. We were in Charlotte this time as a result of volunteering at the Operation Christmas Child processing center.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for giving us positive feed back and for being so kind to mention Rene. Rene does do an excellent job in taking care of our guest and we certainly appreciate your comments. We also appreciate the work you do for Operation Christmas Child and look forward to seeing you again next year.
Brookville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Excellent service by all the staff here! Stayed here for a month over the summer and enjoyed it immensely! Stayed a week in December with a group of 11 and again the service was excellent! Everyone was very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking your time to comment on your stay here at the MainStay Suites. We are always happy to hear that our guest are happy with our service, and we appreciate that you chose to come back to see us during the holiday season. We look forward to you coming back in the future, and we are excited to share with you that we are under renovations. It will even be better when you come back. Thank you again.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

The good:
General staff seemed nice enough, especially the cleaning staff. Simple breakfast well presented. Good room service but only once a week or if requested which was fine with me. Easy check in/out. Great sound insulation from other rooms. Full size fridge with ice maker. Nice sunny outlook from the rear rooms. Comfy bed.

The bad:
The room did not have pets but pet smell was pervasive throughout the hotel. I warned the hotel before arriving that I was extremely allergic but when talking to a manager about my reaction during breakfast each morning he tried to tell me it was just the pollen outside. That was pretty insulting. I had to buy a big air filter for my room in order to cope. A week later and I am still recovering from allergic reaction to the animals in the hotel. A very average hotel with great management will get 5 stars from me. A good hotel with management who cannot accept criticism will not rate highly with me. What I needed to hear: "How can we fix this?" What I didn't need to hear "There is no problem."

But there is a problem. The smell in the corridors is overwhelming. Is it the smell of animal urine? On one day there was a bad smell of cat vomit in the hall ways. On most days the elevator smelled of smoke. The general clientele did not seem to care with one person taking his cereal away from the eating area, dropping it in the corridor, and not bothering to tell anyone. The bottom line is, do not go to this hotel if you are the least susceptible to animal allergies.

There is no air extraction in the bathroom. There was a small vent there that seemed to have a small breeze coming into the bathroom. This spreads the problem of the smelly hotel as smelly air seems to be drawn into the rooms via the bathroom vent. When the cleaning staff left the bathroom door open the whole room was smelly again. It’s pretty surprising to not have air extraction. Mould grows quickly here.

They closed the pool when I arrived. Apparently I had managed to arrive at the end of the season. This seemed nuts to me as the pool certificate was fine for another month and the outside temperature was stifling hot. I sent an email to management and their reply said they would get back to me but they did not. Wow… really?

The icon of their fitness gym uses the symbol of weights and yet there are no weights or weight machines. The smell in that tiny room was gut wrenching. Again, not air extraction, only an AC unit.

As mentioned in other reviews, there were “stains” on the towels and cig burns in the blankets.

Free wifi with strong signal and good coverage but be warned, it is SLOW ( 0.2 Mbps). Too slow for youtube streaming. You can upgrade to 2 Mbps for a cost. Normal ADSL in NZ goes at about 18 Mbps. I mentioned this to management and the reply was that there was no problem, no one ever complained, and that selecting the lowest quality would fix the issue.

The hotel uses the typical older AC unit and not a modern inverter so is either full on or off. The external units are on the ground floor so pick a room higher up, preferably on the rear side of the hotel to catch the sun.

A couple I met at the elevator were laughing to each other while playing black gangster rap/hiphop with loud sexual swearing on their phone. This was the only time I heard swearing in the Bible Belt of Charlotte. The elevator sounds like it’s dying but it only broke down once while I was there.

Summary:
This could be a great hotel but it needs management that cares, the removal of pets, and the installation of a healthy air extraction and ventilation system. And opening the pool if someone wants to use it wouldn’t hurt either.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise. 207 and 205 are well placed on the rear with sunny outlook...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KiwiTrev
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
I would like to Thank You for your comments- You taking time to inform me of your stay is most appreciated. I will try to address a couple of items. We are a pet friendly hotel, but we do a deep cleaning on any room that a pet stays in. This does not mean that a person with allergies could not detect pet smells. I apologize that it was apparent to you and that your allegies acted up. I also apologize that you felt my AGM was unattentive. We are aware of our need to update our hotel and your comments are most appreciated. We are actually starting renovations, including new carpet in rooms and corridors-we are very excited about the new changes that will be made. As for the pool, our pool is open from April 30 through Oct 1- our hours are from 10-10 depending on weather and chemical balance. I am sorry that you were not able to use the pool. If you care to give us another try, please contact me personally and I will make sure that your stay is above expectations. Our renovations should be completed by March 1st. Thank you again!