“Lackluster Low End” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hillbilly's BBQ & Steaks
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Barbecue
“Lackluster Low End”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I love good BBQ and this is not it. Hushpuppies were OK, but not great. Chopped Pork and Chopped Brisket were dryed out and tasteless, like they were sitting around too long and chopped so fine, it was like babyfood. The BBQ sauce was OK, but lacked any real spark unless you only want sweet with no bite. The Babyback Ribs were better, with a decent smokey flavor and fall-off-the-bone quality, but no baked-in flavors like they cut corners on the rub and a bit on the dry side as well. The sweet baked potato was coated with sugar and greasy. It overpowered the natural sweetness of the sweet potato, like they were trying to cover it up.The fried pickles and fried Okra were both good.

The waitress got two out of four orders wrong and no it was not very busy - we were one of only two tables occupied for lunch. She just wasn't paying attention.

Picnic table is the best word to describe the decor. Cheap paper napkins and a single fork served - no knife. Not necessary though because the meat was largely mush. I would have preferred a lot more chunk to my chop.

It wasn't overpriced, but I didn't feel that it was a good value either. I was looking forward to really good NC BBQ and was disappointed instead. I would not recommend it. Only one out of four of us liked it and I think that's because he recommended it and couldn't bring himself to admit that it was a poor choice.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Bedford, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Lunch & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had the best baked potatoe that I have eaten in a long time. The BBQ sauce was great. Not spicey hot at all. Real sweet....just the way I like it. I had the pork and added the BBQ sauce to my tasting. Enjoyed the fried pickles. It was a great place to eat and prices were pretty good too.
Staff was great ! Very nice and kept glasses filled and very quick especially when it was a Sunday and after church and busy. I would suggest trying this place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
“Great BBQ and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Blown away by the service! Good eatin'! The manager was so nice--Our baseball team was there and he gave all the coaches free meals!

Visited March 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
“This is not Carolina style BBQ and it's not good BBQ period.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

I have eaten BBQ all over the US and I cook some very good pulled pork and ribs. I know what I'm talking about when I say this place is C rated at best. I had a combo plate, pulled pork and ribs both were dry and tough (my guess it was cooked the day before, heated and served). BAD way to do pork!! They had a variety of sauces on the table but non of them were true Carolina style!! Hello!! You're located in NC!! Anyway the sides were OK, I just couldn't get over the toughness of the meat to enjoy the rest of the meal. One more thing, they DO NOT serve any kind of alcohol, beer, wine, etc. Just a heads up. If you wanted a ice cold beer with your ribs, you had better go someplace else.

• Visited November 2011