“Not what I expected from this chain”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place
Ranked #86 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Not what I expected from this chain”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is clearly a Country Inn converted from a very different hotel. My bedroom had an enormous jacuzzi in the corner of the bedroom! Carpets in all areas are pretty dingy. This is a very basic hotel with a hodgepodge of furniture that look like it was bought at bankruptcy auctions. It was clean enough if you ignore the carpets. Very poor quality flat screen TV, picture sort of soft-focus/blurry. I ended up here because there was a death in the family and I needed to travel unexpectedly. It was about ten miles from the I77, but I couldn't find anything else at the last minute. At $109 for a King room, it was very expensive for what was provided.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank vlbvoyager
Shawnetta W, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Charlotte
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very pleasant stay this is my second time there and I will definitely be back again next year. Even though it's race weekend and busy breakfast accommodations are kept up very pleased with my stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hello Kimberly,
Thank you so much for taking the time out to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Thanks,
Shawnetta
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had to stay here because our flight was late and missed our connection. The airline put us up at this "hotel". The room smelled, the bathtub had black stains, there was a red stain on the carpet and the door was cracked as if someone had tried to break in.... My thoughts all night were "I hope I do not die here".

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Lynne P,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn and Suites standards.
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We try to stay at Country Inns & Suites when we travel for business. We have appreciated their normally excellent value - nice clean rooms, quality hot breakfast, and cookies at the front desk at night. This facility is not up to their normally high standards.
Hot breakfast was minimal to qualify for hot, and apple juice was watered down - even after I brought it to their intention. Would not stay their again. There is a Comfort Suites close by that we will try the next time we're in the area. Front desk personnel not especially available or helpful. Never saw any cookies.
JM

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GrayMay
countryinngm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. It is unfortunate when situations like this arise. We take every action to make sure that all guests are affected as little as possible. We hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Life can get very hectic, so we decided to take a break from it all and found this hotel which offers a King Suite with a Jacuzzi. The room was very nice, it was very clean and the staff was friendly. The Jacuzzi was a great feature, the water temp is up to you, there were three power levels to the jets and it was very relaxing!

The breakfast was pretty good, hot and cold choices, along with danishes, muffins, fruit etc. The grounds are well kept and the hotel is in a quiet area even though it's on a main thourghfair.

The only issue we had was the bed a little to firm for us to get comfortable, but, that just our preference. All in all it was a great stay and we will consider staying here again in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Recently stayed in this place as I was traveling for work and needed a place to stay for about 6 months. They were such unfriendly people. I am disabled and manager stated that he would have a first floor for me when I arrived and I was put on the third floor. Every time I would ask for towels they would give me 2 and tell me to come to the front desk to get them myself. My key did not work and I called down and they told me to come down and get another one if I wanted in my room. They billed my card twice on the same day for 2 weeks and said oh well we forgot to bill you 3 weeks ago, so we just went ahead and took 2 payments. They refused to give me a print out of my charges. Then they told me I had to leave because I was using a debit card and not a credit card and my credit was longer good there. They refused to clean my room also when I would ask. We had a fire alarm go off in middle of night with smoke pouring out of first floor and I was speaking to another guest who also said they were double billed as well. Very horrible place to stay. Be very cautious of giving your credit information. Also, I left and paid for the one extra night I stayed and just found out they billed me twice and said they refuse to return my money. I will be making complaint with BBB on this place. Good Luck if you wish to stay here and I hope you do not lose your money and have a much better experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Pam F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We do apologize for the billing concerns you had during your stay, that the key card did not work, the location of your room, and for the towels you had to ask for. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.