“Bring Febreze and a Zagat”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #33 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Just back from a business trip to Charlotte where me and my party stayed at the Westin. The Lobby is grand, large and inviting.

The rooms are a little run down - 90's style. When I entered my room, after a red-eye from LA, there was the distinct smell of the last guest who stayed there - and it was coming from the bathroom if you know what I mean. I called the front desk and they sent Housekeeping. I had a business function so I had to run and let them deal. When I returned, that fake disinfectant smell permeated the room but it was really late and I had to crash. The next day the smell was gone but I realized that there is no way to get fresh air into the rooms- as the windows don't open so the smells of humans waif through the halls.

Just don't try and make reservations with the concierge! I had to arrange a business dinner and after, my clients wanted to go Go Carting at one of the indoor tracks. I called the concierge to find a good restaurant and mentioned a couple of places I've heard of. I also asked if she could check and see if we needed reservations at the Go Cart track. She called back a half an hour later and said that the two restaurants I mentioned could only take our party after 9PM. No worries, were there any other options? She said she didn't check but will shortly. I also asked her about the Go Cart track and she said she had called and that we didn't need reservations-it's a "walk-in" type of place. Being Saturday night I pressed her that she had in fact called and she confirmed. Another half hour, she calls and said the only restaurant she could find in Charlotte that could take a party of 7 was a cafe down the street. I sprung into action since it was already 5PM - called several upscale restaurants and in twenty minutes had reservations. I called the Go Cart track as well to confirm and they told me they were closed for a private function that night - glad I didn't drag my clients out there and look like a fool thanks to the concierge.

The Westin is in a good location in downtown Charlotte and everyone was very nice. We had our conference and all went as planned so if it weren't for the lack of fresh air and concierge service, I would give this hotel a good review. If you stay here I would recommend a can of Febreze and a Zagat guide.

Room Tip: Stay at the end of the hall
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologize your experience with us was less than enjoyable. Our concierge is available 24/7 to help with the types of things you requested, and I am very sorry they were unable to help you with what you needed during your trip. Our windows in our rooms also do not open for guest safety, but we definitely understand the frustration when one wants fresh air. We hope you will stay with us again soon and allow us to show you a true Westin experience.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here on our way to Virginia for a family event. We got in late and had to be up early. We had our dog with us and did a quick search for pet friendly hotels and found the Westin would welcome our dog and even offer him a heavenly bed. The hotel is beautiful, the service was great and being able to stay with our 4 legged friend was key on this trip. It is a great hotel in a prime location -- walking distance to restaurants, shops and the stadium.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Thank you for your magnificent review! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our pet services and amenities convenient. We hope to see you, your husband, and your four legged friend back again soon! Be well and happy holidays!

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Thank you so much for offering such fabulous service at your establishment. Chrystal at the front desk was so professional & accomodating. She was courteous & deserves to be recognized by management.

Katie Little

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Based on the reviews I saw on this site in October, I was very reluctant to stay here. However, the conference I was attending was held at this hotel. For convenience sake, I figured I could survive 2 nights. I noticed that the reviews started to improve in November and December and I can add to the positive. I found the staff to be friendly, the food in the restaurant and the reception and conference meals good and the room comfortable.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Charlotte, and that we improved upon previous reviews you have read. We hope to see you back again soon to have another wonderful Westin experience. Be well and happy holidays!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Attended a conference at the Westin this past week. I enjoyed the attentive staff and a room very well suited to on office away from home. A comfortable desk and chair, well lighted (not true in too many hotels), plenty of outlets for a the technology one carries these days. The room was comfortable in a personal level too. Great bed, nice shower. Clean and tidy. The conference facilities were comfortable. The hotel is also at a great location, access to downtown and the many things to see and do in Charlotte. The only complaint was the wi-fi cut out a few times during the week, and I would have to re log in. It was never when I w using it , but when it went in active so not a big deal. Over all a pleasant stay.

Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am delighted to hear you had such a fantastic stay, and enjoyed your room and the staff. We are thrilled that you were comfortable, and that you enjoyed our desk, chair, lighting and outlets. We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Nice hotel. Comfortable room (can't beat a Westin bed :-) Good food. Was there for a conference so lots of times in meeting rooms (kept a bit chilly). Room was good deal for the price.. avoid rooms on the other side of the elevator shaft though... bit noisy all night from that. Overall a good experience. 5-10 minute walk to tons of places to eat.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near ice room or elevator shaft.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your fantastic review! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your room and Heavenly Bed. I am sorry your stay was hindered from the elevator noise, but we will take that issue up with engineering to see if something can be done for future visits. We hope you will be back again soon, so we can exceed your expectations! Be well and happy holidays!

Reviewed 8 December 2012

sheena made my stay at the Westin great. She was was every helpful and informative. Thanks for all the help sheena. I will definitely stay here more often. She helped us find restaurants around the area. She helped was great. My stay at the hotel was great the servers at the restaurant at the hotel where every friendly and the desert was amazing.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your fantastic review! I am thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable experience at the Westin Charlotte. I will be sure to personally thank Sheena for providing you with such excellent service. We hope you will be back to visit again soon! Be well and happy holidays!