“Fun yet expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carowinds

Carowinds
Ranked #10 of 176 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: A mecca of family fun, this 105-acre theme/water park features rides that thrill and live entertainment.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun yet expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Carowinds is quite the place if you are a thrill-seeker that wants to ride the intimidator. The Intimidator is the best ride there and you can't deny it! One of my complaints about Carowinds is the nighthawk line. It is quite silly how long that line is. And don't mention the expensive snacks and souvenirs. Yikes. $3.50 for a drink. Gees.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank abm0727

• Turkish first
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Great Amusement Park❤️”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have been to Carowinds numerous times and nothing bad has ever happened so all you people writing bad reviews I have never had something bad happen. Maybe you are just being paranoid but this is an amazing park. My favorite ride is the Afterburn because it is a hanging rollercoaster and that is my favorite type because it makes me feel like I'm flying. Also the water park is amazing and it has many slides and they added two new slides this year! Carowinds is one of my favorite amusement parks ever and I have been to several. Take time out of your trip to go to Carowinds. I have gone three times with my friends and we always have a great time. One time my friend and I went on the Afterburn 11 times in one day! Even though Carowinds is no Universal Studios, it's still a really great park. Give it a chance and you won't regret it!

Visited May 2014
Erwin, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Over priced, loud, dirty, rip-off!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Multiple band aids in pool, goose feces ALL around the lazy river, prices have increased on EVERYTHING and not correctly reflected on website, construction has parking and part of park shut down. I regret buying season passes- $500 down the drain! Wish I had of just gone to Dollywood or beach!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank nutheadmom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Great fun, bad attitudes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I went to Carowinds yesterday and honestly, we had a blast. However, there were so many things that made us shake our heads. First, some advice for the prospective visitor:
1) Go on a weekday. We went on Monday and the longest we waited in line was 15 minutes and that was the first ride when you enter the park at about 11am. All other rides, we literally only had to wait for the car to get back from the last ride.
2) Buy the all day dining pass if you plan on being there all day. It was $30 for the pass. When we entered the park, we realized that ALL lunch/dinner options were at least $15 so 2 trips made it worth it. Plus, you get to eat every 90 minutes and not worry about dropping a bill on your meals.
3) Come prepared for ANYTHING. The merchandise in the park is far too expensive for you to have to buy something if you forget it. We forgot flip-flops and had to spend almost $30 on 2 very cheaply made (styrofoam) pairs.

Now, the good:
The rides are awesome. My wife and I had a total blast. The wave pool is clean (as clean as expected for a public pool) and the park is maintained very well. The park is HUGE so there's a lot of walking but the rides are all relatively close together.

But the bad:
Where do I begin... Well, I guess the first thing would be the staff. All around, there was a piss-poor attitude all day long. Every single associate we came across had a "who flung poo" look on their face and acted as if we had crushed their dreams by requiring any sort of assistance. After paying over $50 per person to visit a park, I would expect some decent customer service.
In addition to the park staff, the lifeguards were awful. Well, one in particular. My wife and I were cuddled up to each other in the pool (as newlyweds do), both feet touching the bottom, hands around waist, and we were "blown" at by this lifeguard who told us to "separate ourselves" from one another. Now, I could MAYBE have understood if we were the only ones and they had something against PDA or they thought we might accidentally drown each other (?) by doing this.... but there were probably at least 6 other couples in the water doing the exact same thing (some teenagers, some adults) that were never spoken to. On top of that, we witnessed people fake drowning each other and horsing around in the pool who were not spoken to. We don't normally pull the discrimination card... but it was quite obvious what was going on here.
The last thing about the staff... we stopped for a last bite to eat before leaving, at around 6pm at "Wings" and we caught, red handed, the girl behind the counter making faces at us. Really? We're gay, not blind.
Now, the food. It's terrible. I know I said to buy the dining pass... but that's just to save you money. If you go on a day where you were able to park close to the park entrance, leave, eat, and come back. You can get better food at McDonald's. Also, the dining pass only covers certain places. On our day, half of them were closed. But it seems they all have the same kinds of food anyway. Oh and don't even try to hit up a food joint after 5 because most of them are already closing. Why? Beats the hell out of me. The park is open till 8 but 75% of the places to get food in the park locked their doors at 5pm.

All in all, will we come back? Yes, we will. But we will be much more educated on how to go about Carowinds as a whole the next time we do. And we certainly won't expect a smile from anyone.

Visited June 2014
7 Thank SimplyBekah
Raleigh, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“If customer service matters to you....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is not the place to be. I believe there are cattle that are treated better than we were. Stood in line for 45 minutes to get my kids a meal only to get to the window and have the employee say that it was time for her break and I needed to get to the back of the next line. I turned around and looked at the line next to be and realized that it would easily be another 45 minute wait. I looked at her and asked if she had lost her damm mind. Before I knew it there were security guards next to me telling me I had cursed and threatened an employee. A 5'4 single woman with three little girls under 12 and we were a threat. Before it was all over I was told they would be calling the Charlotte Police Department to come remove us if I would not leave immediately. My girls were all terrified and crying. Overgrown boys playing at security is never a good thing. I never used profanity but I guess one word was all it took. Never mind what set off the chain of events.

I had spent $50.00 dollars a ticket to get in because there was a concert that night. Carowinds - $200.00, my family - $0.

Visited September 2013
10 Thank MyRiverSong

Been to Carowinds? Share your experiences!