“Good family fun”
Review of Carowinds

Carowinds
Ranked #11 of 183 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: A mecca of family fun, this 105-acre theme/water park features rides that thrill and live entertainment.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a group of 4 adults and 3 children, so sometimes it was hard to please everyone at once. They have a childrens area, and they make it very easy to tell which height you must be to ride each one with a sign at each the entrance to each ride. However, when it was the adults turn to ride the big roller coasters, the kids got antsy (with grandma) because of the hour long wait. It would have been better to split up for a couple of hours. Then, they have the water area. The lockers are pricey ($12) to store your dry clothes, phones, etc. But there are big rides for bigger kids, and a wade pool for younger kids. Theres also a wave pool. Younger kids have to wear life vests, but they provide them. Of course food and drinks were expensive, but they did give my mother free water in a cup at one of the hot dog shacks. I also recommend the "dinosaurs alive" exhibit. It was an extra $3 per person, but well worth it. The park also offers a 'speed pass' that allows you to go straight to the front of those long lines for certain roller coasters, but they are limited, and are also an extra $60 pp. We went on a weekday, so it wasn't needed. Plan to stay all day if you want to do everything, and bring snacks.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,776)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We live in Charlotte and finally made it to Carowinds this past week (July 2014). Their waterpark, Boomerang Bay, was a lot of fun. They didn't have a life jacket small enough for our infant even though they promoted it on their poster and it was a rule that our baby had to wear it if we were going to hold her in the wave pool. That was a bummer since we had two other kids with us that wanted to go in the wave pool. The water is really cold so be prepared to freeze your butt off if it's not sunny outside.

The coasters are awesome and there are plenty of options if you're looking for super scary or something to ride with a small child.

The food - OUTRAGEOUS expensive!!!!!!! I can't even stress enough how unreal their prices were. $9 for funnel cake, WHAT? $15 for fries, a drink that you cannot refill, and chicken fingers. It's a complete rip off and made our entire group really turned off with the experience as a whole. Disney or any other park I've visited wasn't near that expensive. Not cool man, not cool...

NO live entertainment that was worth a darn. This was so disappointing considering day tickets are close to $60 to get in the door. We paid $20 online to enter from 4-10pm. But to not have some sort of entertainment was a huge upset. We won't return because of this and the high prices for food, which is sad because the park itself is really fun (rides and waterpark).

1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My son and I like roller coasters and have visited some of the major places, Disney, Universal, etc. Carowinds is a smaller park that you can really enjoy in a day, with some excellent roller coasters. Intimidator is one of our favorites of all, a very smooth riding coaster; first drop over 200 feet, just a lap bar and no sides to shield you. The first drop is awesome. There are several other great coaster, afterburn and a few more. Also, two very cool wooden coasters, one of which can be ridden either backwards or forwards. This one is Thunder road. There is a flying coaster, a looping coaster, and a standing coaster also! Some great other rides and a really cool water park make it a great place to visit. Look for discounts and note that you have to pay for parking. Have fun!

1  Thank music_fanatic1
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was born one year before Carowinds first opened in the 70's and can only remember one or two summers since that I haven't made the trip to the NC/SC line to enjoy the coasters and attractions. Now, I get to take my kids and out of town guests each summer. As with any event location, it's only as good as it's employees. This summer I went on a day that was not crowded and the weather was in the low 80's. It was perfect! We planned to ride the coasters and spend some time on the new water slides. Rides like The Intimidator (riding in the front is worth the wait!) and AfterBurner are still two of my favorites anywhere in the US! I was impressed with them running two coasters on almost every ride, even though wait times were less than 5 minutes on most rides. However, I noticed that on almost every ride, the loading and unloading times were unnecessarily long. At first, I thought it must be a safety thing, but then I realized that the primary wait was coming from the side conversations that the workers were having about their activities the previous night and who was going on break next, etc. There were even a few times, when the supervisors showed up to have a conversation (not work related) that kept us sitting in a coaster waiting for the attendant to release the restraints. BUT overall, Carowinds should not be missed! There are great attractions for the whole family!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We are Season Pass holders for the 3rd year. This trip included my husband, me, our 2kids and my brother, his wife, & his 4 kids who traveled from a few states away for the trip. On this particular visit we had 4 adults, 12 yr old girl, 11 yr old girl, 10 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 2 yr old boy, & 6 month old girl. It poured the rain for the first half of the day but then cleared up. Everyone seemed to have fun & esp enjoyed the coasters. FYI-The recently added the Harmony Hall building & I would definitely suggest it as the best option for healthy food, cleanest restrooms, LOTS of seating & free entertainment!

Few suggestions--all the kid stuff is in one area only. Would be nice if some small kid rides were sprinkled throughout park just to keep the little ones occupied. Would also be nice if a Tram would run thru park to take people around (less parking). Also with they had a
2-day pass because it was A LOT to do all in 1day and we didn't even go to the waterpark! Overall fun experience though!

1  Thank Cayla R