“This Murder Mystery was a Painful and Slow Death for its guests”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Murder Mystery Company in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: Looking to Solve the Case of the Perfect Party?Here's a clue! The Murder Mystery Company is the nation's most popular, interactive, mystery troupe. We're the ultimate solution for your holiday party, corporate event, fundraiser, dinner party, team building exercise, wedding, birthday and much more!
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Yesterday, my wife and I along with another couple went to the "Totally 80's Totally Murder" dinner show. What a major disappointment!
As we waited on line to be seated, it was one of the cast member's job to take funny pictures of the guests posed with weapons in from of a mug shot back drop. This idea was very cute but nothing was ever mentioned at the event how to get the pictures. I was under the impression that there might have been some type of video slide show but that wasn't the case. Apparently the pictures were for sale. I found this out on the ride home when my friend said that he came across them as he took a walk through the room.
The show and dinner worked hand in hand. After we were first seated at a table for 10 with other guests, the wait staff offered ice tea or lemon aide and then we were invited to go and make our own salad at the other end of the room. Upon returning to our table, a cast member came to the table and gave us the low down on how the event works and asked for one of us to become a character in the show. As it turned out, a 6th grade school teacher sitting at our table became an 8 year old suspect.
When the time was right, the show started and a death occurred. Then all of the suspects were invited on to the stage where each suspects (there was about 25) told something about their character. Then it was time for dinner and also the time for everyone in the room to start interviewing the suspects. The dinner comprised of waiting on line for flavorless canned potatoes floating in water, flat string beans, either 1 piece of chicken (cutlets that were precooked sitting in a serving tray) "or" 2 small slices of cold roast beef (cut paper thin by the caterer) and a dinner roll that crumbled when you went to cut it. Before the show continued, there was a second murder and then it was time to bring the suspects back on stage with more evidence.
Then it was time for the dessert line and more interviewing of suspects. Dessert compromised of store bought apple pies that were heated in the kitchen. Sadly there was no ice cream or whipped cream to go with the pie or any coffee or hot tea.
One more time with the suspects on stage and then a few more minutes to figure out the who the killer was and what the motive was. By this time we really couldn't care less who did it because it was dragged out too too long.
Just before the answer was revealed, it was time for awards. The topics were: best male actor, best female actor, best costume, best wrong suspect and motive and best correct answer. Finally there was light at the end of the tunnel when we were all told who and why the murders happened.
To be honest, some folks at the show seemed to have a good time, but I suspect that it has something to do with them making several trips to the cash bart. As for my wife, our friends and myself, we were very disappointed at the quality of the show. Unfortunately there were far to many suspects to keep the story moving. As for the food, shame on the caterer for calling what was served a dinner.

7  Thank Steven C

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I expected more professional theatrical performance but it was more like slightly organized chaos. I went to the 80's mystery dinner. The performance was done by random people in the group with only three organizers knowing what was going on. The food was good but you have to pay for a drink so I just had water. It was buffet style with nothing that resembled preferred seating. Do not waste money on the extras! The plot was hard to follow and it was poorly organized for the cost. The website is a bit deceptive (misrepresentation). I would not go back or recommend this event. I went on 10-27-13 On the website it says "Interactive dinnertime murder mystery that stars professional actors tests diners’ sleuthing skills throughout a multicourse meal" Very deceptive description.

4  Thank Karenlynn0123
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The theme was 30's. It was fun. It was held at the South Charlotte Banquet Center and very nice place. The food wasn't that great, but the show was. I got this from groupon, and I had been to a previous Murder Mystery Show. I can't wait to attend another

2  Thank CorinnaT95
Reviewed 17 April 2013

While I would have liked more of a "scripted play", I enjoyed the improv and audience interaction. I enjoyed the fact that we needed to introduce ourselves to the other tablemates; like making friends. I attended in Cramerton instead of Charlotte although I have been to the Freedom Drive location before (even for this SAME show!) Location, setup, the room & acoustics, and food was definitely much better in Cramerton. If food & service is bad, it tends to make an impression on the whole evening. A few of the audience "actors" did a better job than the "real" actors or with more animation. Maybe a musician performing while we were eating would help with the flow instead of stops & starts. We needed paper & pencils at the table to get the clues. More direction is really needed before the audience gets up to ask the questions because a lot of people really had "no clue"....I've been to 3 and would go again.

1  Thank 2furbabies
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Myself and a couple of ladies attended one of the dinner shows. The show was not very good at all. The food did not have a taste. Not very impressed. We purchased a groupon deal, but will not return.

7  Thank dc02109