“Loved the place! It's like a 5* hotel - a royal B&B!”

Duke Mansion Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 9 Charlotte B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I have travelled to Charlotte for a conference and as everything was already sold out we ended up booking The Duke Mansion - best choice ever! The place is fantastic! Rooms are spacious, nicely decorated, beds are huge and comfortable. A la carte breakfast is available and sometimes a buffet is served. The garden is splendid and the whole neighbourhood is so nice for a morning jogging! I would definitely come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room facing the garden and not the entrance and even better ask for a room that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Duke Mansion Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I am so glad that the Westin was sold out.....and we will select the Duke Mansion again for our next trip to Charlotte! The Meyers Park area was a fun part to explore too. The service was fantastic and the room exceeded our expectations. Beds were comfortable and the rooms were large - especially with the added porch...complete with a porch swing! Really helped kick off a relaxing vacation. The grounds were well kept --as were the rooms/bathroom was clean! I loved the fact that every breakfast morning was served in a different room of the house. Super job and big thanks for helping us kick off a great vacation in North Carolina!

Room Tip: The Van Every Room was perfect....quiet, great AC, large patio and room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deb K
Reviewed 11 June 2012

From the iron gates as you enter to the imacculate grounds to stroll, this B&B is a delightful place to hang your hat while visiting Charlotte. The residential estate of the Duke family built in 1915 is 32,000 square feet of pure elegance. Of the 20 rooms available, our third floor room was spacious and inviting. The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment compared to other B&B's we have stayed in, but hardly worth not returning to this fantastic gem. Be sure to check out the children's play area outside. An old tree was fashioned into a Beatrix Potter vignette by a talented artist. Also, ask to see the turntable in the basement that Mr. Duke had built so he did not have to back his Rolls Royce out of the driveway. Lots of history wrapped in this must-stay place. We will return.

Room Tip: Some of the second floor rooms are larger. Some are made for families with small children. An eleva...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bimmer1
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The location is perfect for walking to Starbucks, great restaurants and a movie. The setting of the hotel is beautiful, peaceful and safe. Rooms are large with very comfortable beds and all the amenities expected in a top facility. I have stayed in many hotels downtown and at Phillips Place, but I'll keep coming back to the Mansion again and again. This should not be called a bed and breakfast as it is so much more!

Room Tip: Choose the 2nd floor if you want quick access to delicious coffee and tea at any hour.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2012

An absolutely delightful B&B. This is not your ordinary small B&B with just a few rooms. This is a huge mansion with about 20 rooms. We had a King porch, which had french doors leading out to the screened-in porch. We spent quite a bit of time out there, overlooking the backyard and garden. It was very quiet and peaceful, which is what we were looking for for the weekend.

The service was wonderful. The clerks at the desk will bring you anything you need. A small surprise was that they have bottled water and sodas, complimentary, so that was a wonderful change. We didn't feel like we were nickel & dimed to death with anything we wanted.

The grounds were beautiful and the room was perfect. It was huge and we had plenty of room.

If you have a GPS, you can easily find some restaurants in the area. We went to a fabulous Japanese Steakhouse which was only 15 min away. We also stopped by the South Park Mall on the way back to our room and grabbed some cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory.

The only thing that stopped me from giving this a perfect 5 was the breakfast. Now, I will say that my husband and I travel a lot and stay in hotels, B&B's and we cruise. The breakfast was absolutely horrible. The other reviews on here state the breakfast was good (or better). We did not think that at all. I couldn't not eat anything. The eggs were the horrible powdered eggs that your typical hotel serves. The fruit was dry (thinking it may have been a little old & sitting out for a long time). Also, I am sorry and no offense at all to anyone who likes grits (my hubby loves grits), but when I pay good $$ for a top-notch B&B, I expect something a little more than cheesy grits for my breakfast choice. I will add that this was different than any other B&B we have stayed at before. At most B&B's we stayed in, we were able to order what we wanted for breakfast. That was not the case here. It was set up as a buffet and those were are only choices. I also didn't like that they had servers wearing uniforms. Our whole purpose of going to a B&B is to have a more intimate experience with the owners and other guests. We did not get that at this B&B.

Overall, we would absolutely stay here again. We will just go elsewhere for the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennmaybe
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Boutique hotel from a Southern estate that was transformed in 1976? Southern charm oozes everywhere....right by the botanical gardens so you can go running in Charlotte's most lovely and upscale areas....they even have their own gardens.

Well set up for the business traveler - and very close to the downtown banks and financial district. Way better than staying at another Hilton for work....it feels like a grand hotel - don't let the B&B title fool ya. (but of course, breakfast is free and they give that homey vibe.)

So glad I stayed here.

Room Tip: views of the garden!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The hotel was so charming! A little hard to find as Charlotte's streets are interesting to navigate. When you drive up you just know you are in for something special ... and this was a special treat as I travel 4 days a week on business and rarely stay in B&B's ... this stay may have changed my mind! The room was small, but quainte. There are a few places to eat/drink within walking distance and if you take the backroads it is so pretty - beautiful houses, etc. The people are so friendly. It was a bit chilly for my trip and it wasn't clear what were and were not common areas so I ate on the patio ... maybe better signage?
Breakfast in the parlor was better than average. First, it's free and while I didnt get her name the server had a chipper sense of humor for 7:30 in the morning .... a rareity if you ask me! I happen to have made friends with a few fellas that were there who new about period pieces and it helped me understand the beauty of the place I was staying. I wish there were more information about it's history (not just in the guest book).
All in all - great stay!
Only downfall - their conditioner sucks and dried out my hair ... but it's my own darn fault for not packing my own!

Room Tip: Pay the $20 extra for a porch room if they're available
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business