“Charming”

Ranked #43 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
South Brunswick, New Jersey
“Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

While we usually stay at the chain hotels to rack up the points, we decided this time to veer off course and try a smaller, boutique hotel and we were not disappointed with Dunhill. We were greeted with the great southern charm by the first the parking attendent then the desk clerk. As we arrived a little late on a Sunday, and we were hungry, the desk clerk helped us to find a place to eat and made the reservation for us. So sweet, so attentive. Arriving in our room, I was a little disappointed at the size of the room (a bit small) and the lighting (a bit dark) but he bathroom was well appointed and roomy and the beds were comfy. I was also concerned about the lack of a security latch on the door and think that there should be a blinder on the peep hole. Our stay included breakfast in the very quaint restaurant that is part of the hotel. The staff in the restaurant were lovely and the food was delicious. The allowed me to linger with my coffee and newspaper for quite some time with no pressure to leave. They even continued to fill my coffee cup. Should I visit Charlotte again, this will be my place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1122Cheryl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Dunhill was not my first choice for our quick weekend stay in Charlotte, in fact, it was not on my list at all. We were looking for a big name chain hotel, as I've had issues with smaller hotels and bed and breakfasts in the past. The Dunhill had availability, the location was perfect and the price was right, so I booked a double queen room. We were extremely pleasantly surprised multiple times during our stay at the Dunhill. Each and every staff member we came in contact with was beyond helpful and polite. Parking was easy and convenient. The room was a perfect size, clean, the bedding was so soft. The bar in the lobby was great, Pete was our bartender, he was friendly and mixed the perfect drink. We enjoyed the restaurant as well, breakfast was very tasty and fast.

When we return to Charlotte, we will be staying at the Dunhill for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Megan B
Greensboro, NC USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel is a little gem. The guest rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. The lobby and public areas are very welcoming and attractive. However, the staff is what really makes this hotel standout. Everyone was friendly, courteous and extremely good at going the extra mile to make you feel comfortable and welcome. They also offer free transportation to and from the Amtrak station.

The restaurant is also excellent. We ended up having an early dinner there the first night and our rate included breakfast the next morning. Both meals were outstanding.

We go to Charlotte several times a year for cultural events and the Dunhill Hotel will now be our preferred hotel for all of our trips!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SMicha14
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went to Charlotte to see the show Celtic Nights at Spirit Square. The show was at 8:00p.m. and we arrived at 11:00a.m., obviously too early to check in at the hotel. We were able to have the concierge store our bags and the valet parked our vehicle. All of this accomplished in about 3 minutes, by the friendliest and most pleasant staff as anyone could ask for.

My wife wanted us to go do some shopping and to have lunch at Ri-Ra's Irish pub, so off we went. We met our son at the Pub around 2:00pm, had a great lunch and visited for a while. Got back to the Dunhill around 5:00pm. We were handed our room key and when I asked for our bags, we were told that they were already in our room.

We went to our room and it was virtually perfect! Light, CLEAN with a great bathroom that was larger than our master bath at home. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and even with the street noise, I was able to enjoy a nap before the show without any problems whatsoever.

I forgot to mention that this hotel is located directly between RiRa's and the theater and you can almost spit from the hotel and hit each. An absolutely perfect location!

After the show we enjoyed a couple of libations at the cozy, lobby bar where the drinks were excellent and the bartender (wish I could remember his name) was again - as professional and friendly as you could hope for.

The complimentary full American breakfast was served in the light, pleasant dining room by attentive, but not overbearing, servers and was delicious! Later in the day our son, daughter and son-in-law met us for brunch and they were just as impressed with the meals and the service as we were and this is saying something because they have "done their time" as servers and bartenders and manger in the Charlotte restaurant trade. It takes quite a bit to impress them. As an aside - the prices were so reasonable as to be almost ludicrous. (As was the room rate!)

All in all - if you are visiting Charlotte and want true value and service in an ideal location in the uptown, give the Dunhill as try. You'll be glad you did!

All in all,

Room Tip: If you want a room on the "street side", you'll be better off on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Yankee07
Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here on my first trip to Charlotte a few years back. I was in town for a interview. Stayed two nights. I enjoyed staying here. The price was reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. Plus, you get a bit more here. The hotel is historic and has lots of character. The service at the front desk was great. They were very helpful considering I had never been to Charlotte. The room itself was elegant and comfortable. It was clean. No issues to speak of. I now live in the Charlotte area and walk past this hotel everyday. I would stay here if I was visiting. It is right in the middle of Uptown Charlotte. Steps away from restaurants, museums, wine shops, etc. This is a great option if you are looking for something different than your run of the mill chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dan B
Southeast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

First, this is an old hotel, totally renovated, nice and staff is great. It would have been better if I had not found a 3" cockroach in the bathroom. I thought he was going to beat me up, as he looked me straight in the eye, but I stomped and flushed him...I know this can be an issue in older locations, downtown locations, etc., and I saw not evidence of any of his "little friends" but it was disconcerting.

Our room was very small but nicely appointed. The price was high, with paid parking, all things considered.

Room Tip: The rooms across from the elevators are TINY. Ask to be moved.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SouthernSweetT
Sag Harbor, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

ended up in charlotte very last minute, found the dunhill thru trip advisor... great location..close to museums, galleries, great restaurants..didn't have a lot of time to fully explore area, but plenty nearby to keep busy.. while room was a bit small, the hotel was clean, quiet..service was excellent.. great breakfast included in price.. probably the best oatmeal ever!! good value...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family