“Not good for business travelers” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #42 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not good for business travelers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here due to some meetings I was attending across the street, and I wish I had stayed somewhere else. Here were the problems:

- Difficult to access electrical outlets. I had to move the nightstand just so that my iPhone could be plugged in at night
- Slow and spotty wifi service
- Extremely limited in-room dining menu
- In-room dining service problems - e.g. unanswered phones; food brought up without utensils; etc.

There were also overall problems with my room:

- The rods for the blinds on the windows were covered in some sort of sticky substance, so I had to wash my hands after opening and shutting them
- There was no place in the bathroom to store any toiletries except in the cabinet underneath the sink, and the sink had a leak, getting everything wet
- Very easy to hear noise from the hallways

On the positive side, the hotel is in a good location in Charlotte, is reasonably priced, and has a friendly staff. But I will not be staying here again myself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mali M, Front Office Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry about the problems you encountered during your stay. We truly appreciate this feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. In the coming months we will be undergoing renovations, and many of the issues you pointed out will be addressed. In addition, our housekeeping and restaurant managers have been made aware of these critiques so that we can serve our guests better moving forward. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back and show you our improvements.

Mali McElfresh
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family and I were in town for a conference and decided not to stay at the Westin, but rather a unique spot. The Dunhill truely was a unique spot. The staff was friendly and interior was clean. The daily breakfast included with your stay was good. The evening complimentary wine on Wed was a unique touch. My kids enjoyed the homemade cookies each afternoon as well. We enjoyed the complementay London Cab rides to the convention center. They even provided us with an umbrella to borrow. The bartending was EXCEPTIONAL. He is an asset to the Dunhill and is a must keep. We enjoyed our evening at the bar. The only minor compliant we had was that the air conditioning was not cool enough for our liking. We did tell staff and someone was sent to look at it, but felt it did not change. Add the Dunhill to your historic stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Burris325
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I fell in love with this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I really liked that the hotel was on the small size so you get to know some of the staff during your stay. The rooms were very comfortable as we're the beds. Also, the complimentary breakfast was tasty. This hotel is within walking distance of a lot of activities. We never even used our car once we arrived at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bookgirl308
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Dunhill and fell in love. The staff is friendly and service-conscious. The room was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable. The bar was cozy and friendly. The location is awesome. When we need to stay Uptown Charlotte, we'll stay at The Dunhill.

Room Tip: Our room fronted Tryon St. On the 4th floor we heard no street noise, but did enjoy the views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very good location Uptown, within a very easy walk to many dining options, arena, stadium, and museums. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Room was good size and well appointed. You don't need to be a historic hotel buff to enjoy this one, but the added charm makes it even more enjoyable. Hotel of choice in Charlotte.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Indian Trail, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I were going uptown for a food tour and decided to spend the night for our anniversary. I made reservations at the Dunhill Hotel because it looked different...not a chain hotel. We had spent our wedding night in the uptown area 17 years earlier and I thought it would feel like returning to "where it all started." The B&B we were at on our wedding night closed long ago. Unfortunately, the Dunhill did not live up to my expectations. While it is an older building, I could have lived with that but I felt rather deceived by the photos on-line. The room we had was an executive King and was very drab. It was not very clean, there was dust on the baseboards in the bathroom. While I am a self-described neat freak, I think anyone paying over $200 a night for a room would expect more of a commitment to cleanliness. We did dine at the hotel restaurant for dinner and breakfast and were very pleased with both meals. So, my advise, find a less expensive or comparably priced hotel that is cleaner and brighter and dine at The Asbury.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa D
Cortlandt Manor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friends and I stayed overnight in what was descrbed as a "suite" which included a complimentary breakfast. When we checked thegirl at thedesk was quite unpleasant and stated that we did not qualify for breakfast since we made the reservation through hotels.com. we proceded to the "suite" which was extremely small and crowded and when we asked for a pullout for the 3rd person a crate with a mattress strapped to it arrived! the room itself was dark and dismal and aside from the location it was a total disappointment. the room was approximately $300.00 for the night and we couldn't wait to leave. We did get a free breakfast from a young man at the desk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Susanne A
Mali M, Front Office Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback. We’re very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay. The only true suite we have at our property is our Penthouse. I will be messaging you shortly to learn which site you made the reservation on so that we can contact them to correct the discrepancy. Please contact me the next time you are traveling to Charlotte. We would love the opportunity to make a second first impression.

Mali McElfresh