“Just a visitor”
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #54 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I did not stay at this central urban hotel, but visited friends at two locations in the building, ate at the restaurant, and visited the bar. What a lovely, relatively small hotel: elegant, old-world style decor and furnishings reminiscent of an 19th century English hotel. Everything bespoke "class." The staff almost rushed to meet us at each turn, the waitstaff at "Asbury," the adjoining dining room, was superior--friendly, at hand, and eager to please.
The food at the "Asbury" was excellent, if pricey. We sat outside and ordered, a la carte, the buckwheat pancakes, eggs and grits for breakfast. Very good, though it is strange that two pancakes ordered together cost $10 and separately $4 per! We ordered one each of the plate-sized discs, the two of which would have been sufficient for three people. The passing parade of exercisers. tourists, children, and an array of characters was a delight on a pleasant Charlotte, NC Sunday morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LeeofTV

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here with my sisters-in-law for a girl weekend in Charlotte. We had a great experience and would recommend it to anyone. This hotel is located right in downtown Charlotte and within walking distance of lots of restaurants, parks, and points of interest. It is also very close to the main bus depot which made it easy to get to from the airport.

The hotel is in a beautiful old building and the inside is nicely furnished and feels elegant. We were staying in one of the smaller bedrooms, but it was still plenty of space for 3 women. We enjoyed getting chocolate on our pillows and really appreciated that 2 breakfast passes came with the room each day. There were a lot of breakfast options (eggs, pancakes, sausage gravy, cereal, oatmeal, etc) and the food was delicious. The portion sizes were large as well - definitely above average for a breakfast included at a hotel!

The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. Various front desk clerks helped us with getting ice, getting lost luggage from the airport, advising about local transportation, and even recommending good places to shop. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Charlotte!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank J D
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very nice, clean hotel with exceptionally nice people. Couple of gotcha charges, one the $18 Valet fee if you park in their garage. The valet's largely absent so, the front desk had to find them so, there was a bit of wait parking and retrieving my car. Beyond that it was a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here due to some meetings I was attending across the street, and I wish I had stayed somewhere else. Here were the problems:

- Difficult to access electrical outlets. I had to move the nightstand just so that my iPhone could be plugged in at night
- Slow and spotty wifi service
- Extremely limited in-room dining menu
- In-room dining service problems - e.g. unanswered phones; food brought up without utensils; etc.

There were also overall problems with my room:

- The rods for the blinds on the windows were covered in some sort of sticky substance, so I had to wash my hands after opening and shutting them
- There was no place in the bathroom to store any toiletries except in the cabinet underneath the sink, and the sink had a leak, getting everything wet
- Very easy to hear noise from the hallways

On the positive side, the hotel is in a good location in Charlotte, is reasonably priced, and has a friendly staff. But I will not be staying here again myself.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mali M, Front Office Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry about the problems you encountered during your stay. We truly appreciate this feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. In the coming months we will be undergoing renovations, and many of the issues you pointed out will be addressed. In addition, our housekeeping and restaurant managers have been made aware of these critiques so that we can serve our guests better moving forward. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back and show you our improvements.

Mali McElfresh
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family and I were in town for a conference and decided not to stay at the Westin, but rather a unique spot. The Dunhill truely was a unique spot. The staff was friendly and interior was clean. The daily breakfast included with your stay was good. The evening complimentary wine on Wed was a unique touch. My kids enjoyed the homemade cookies each afternoon as well. We enjoyed the complementay London Cab rides to the convention center. They even provided us with an umbrella to borrow. The bartending was EXCEPTIONAL. He is an asset to the Dunhill and is a must keep. We enjoyed our evening at the bar. The only minor compliant we had was that the air conditioning was not cool enough for our liking. We did tell staff and someone was sent to look at it, but felt it did not change. Add the Dunhill to your historic stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Burris325
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I fell in love with this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I really liked that the hotel was on the small size so you get to know some of the staff during your stay. The rooms were very comfortable as we're the beds. Also, the complimentary breakfast was tasty. This hotel is within walking distance of a lot of activities. We never even used our car once we arrived at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bookgirl308
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Dunhill and fell in love. The staff is friendly and service-conscious. The room was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable. The bar was cozy and friendly. The location is awesome. When we need to stay Uptown Charlotte, we'll stay at The Dunhill.

Room Tip: Our room fronted Tryon St. On the 4th floor we heard no street noise, but did enjoy the views.