The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #52 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I chose the Dunhill as our conference hotel for a small (20 to 25 people) event held in Charlotte by my employer in February 2009. From the time I created our room block with the hotel staff right on through to the last of our attendees checking out, I couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel's central location couldn't be any better. Our attendees were able to walk to everything. The Dunhill has real historic character, the rooms are very well-furnished, and the staff is fantastic. If you're organizing a conference or similar event in Charlotte, this is the place!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 January 2009

I stayed at the Dunhill Hotel in downtown Charlotte for two nights in November and highly recommend it to anyone traveling for business or pleasure. It's located right in the middle of Charlotte's unexpectedly bustling (well, unexpected by me) center--an easy walk to city hall, the business district, the convention center (and eventually, the NASCAR hall of fame), a couple of museums, and a number of restaurants and bars. It's a handsome old building, and the rooms are comfortable and tasteful. The staff is helpful and friendly. And it's a good value: I paid $139 a night (I think that's with AAA discount). Also, it's nice that they don't try to nickel and dime you like so many of the chains: $4 for a bottle of water? At the Dunhill the bottles of water are free. :-)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I reserved a room at the Dunhill for a weekend getaway for my birthday this past September.
For the high price I paid, I expected something big, elegant, and worth the money. I definitely didn't think I got it.

Great location right in the middle of downtown Charlotte, but the place is really really small.
The room was small, the bed very, very squeaky, and the walls really thin.

The bathroom was okay, but also very small and nothing special.

The website promised a pair of bathrobes to every single room in the hotel, but once we got there it turned out you had to pay $50 for each robe.

By nightfall, I was really regretting going to a hotel without a pool, especially for how much I paid for it.

Room service was okay, but the food was mediocre (and a little cold), took half an hour to come up, and cost me almost $70 just for breakfast.
I spent just a little more than that on my birthday dinner the night before at a really nice restaurant down the street.

Hotel promised drinks in every room, but was just a bottle of coke and a water in the tiny fridge under the TV. The maid was, however, really nice about bringing us more.

There was no problem with noise (except hearing TV from other rooms), and checking in and out was really simple and fast.

Turn down service was nice, especially the tasty pillow chocolates, but that wasn't enough to make me feel better, especially due to the lack of other amenities.

Overall I think this hotel is okay, but definitely not as great as it claims to be, and not worth more than $100. Everything looks nice, but it was really small and mediocre.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We stayed one night on a stopover as we decided to have a look around Charlotte, rather than just connect through. It is a business hotel, so I expect most people are on expense accounts. By our standard, it was expensive, but so are all the downtown hotels in Charlotte. By booking through the hotel web site we got a seniors discount. The taxes are comprehensive. They have a city tax, a state tax, a county tax and an "occupancy tax" (one of the bigger ones). The front desk were unable to explain what it was.

The room was huge with two massive beds. One bed was about the size of hotel rooms we stayed in in Japan. The beds had silly posts on the corners, which may have looked good, but were impractical - sticking up in front of the TV screen, and asking to be walked in to in the dark.

The hotel promised a newspaper. They did not deliver, but provided one when I asked. There is free coffee in the lobby if you do not have breakfast included.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2008

If you like the historic charm of a boutique hotel, stay at the Dunhill Hotel in uptown Charlotte within walking distance of many good restaurants (including the Monticello within the Dunhill), corporate headquarters, Mint Museum of Art and Crafts, Discovery Place & the Convention Center. We lived in the Charlotte area for nine years where I was involved with the Mint Museums and I always used the Dunhill for our out-of-town speakers. I was surprised to see that it was rated so low among Charlotte hotels, but if you want new, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My boyfriend and I are Charlotte locals yet we don't spend a lot of time in Uptown. I booked a room at the Dunhill thinking it would be the perfect way to celebrate his birthday. The room was small and on the 3rd floor, but with the rain pouring outside, it felt cozy. The in-room frige is a bonus as we brought our own cocktail makings. The bed is comfy if you like a "bouncy" bed. The staff is very accomodating and friendly. I forgot my toothbrush and the bellman ran one up to me within 5 minutes of calling to see if they had anything like that on hand. We ate dinner next door at Zink which was incredible! Breakfast was very disappointing at Monticello (the restaurant in the Dunhill). The food sounded good, but was lukewarm upon arrival from our odd & defensive server. We were basically too hungover to deal with that kind of attitude or to complain about it. We would definitely recommend this to anyone who appreciates historical buildings and isn't looking for a lot of space in the room or bathroom. Proud to live in a city with this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2008

This is an historic hotel in down town Charlotte. It is a beautiful building and the rooms are charming and well furnished. If you are looking for high tech, modern this one is not for you. But if you want to be right down town and you enjoy historic buidlings you will enjoy it. We particularly enjoyed breakfast on the outdoor patio each morning. The food was good and unlike many hotels, it was not over priced. My husband likes to sleep in a very cool room and the ac was not as strong as it might be in a more modern building. We were also unhappy to have no cold water from the faucet -- it was always quite warm. We complained but apparently it could not be fixed. I also enjoyed watching the Olympics in the evening in the bar. The staff made me feel very comfortable sitting with my glass of wine and the games. It would be a good choice for a woman travelling alone who likes a the extra service that a smaller hotel can provide. It is currently undergoing renovation and it did cause some distruptions. We spent 2 separate weeks this summer because I was working in the area and I will be staying there next time too.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business