“Fantastic Place to Stay in UpTown”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #43 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Fantastic Place to Stay in UpTown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

If you are staying in Charlotte for Business or Pleasure and being downtown, “UpTown” in Charlotte, is important to you then the Dunhill is the right place. We were attending a wedding at the Mint Museum on Tryon in “Uptown” and the Dunhill was very convenient. With almost everything located in the heart of the city we didn’t need to rent a car, only a $25.00 ride to the airport via cab which we felt was reasonable. The hotel had a few sodas in the fridge for us which is nice in the day of pay for every last little thing. The room rate we paid was a little higher because we wanted a room with a Jacuzzi but I felt the prices online at the usual travel sites were comparable to other nice hotels in UpTown. I didn’t feel the room was too small as many described but really how much time should you be spending in your room? Lack of the pool might bother families but for single couples or if you are minus the kids it is a fantastic place to stay. I highly recommend it.

-T

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinCharlotte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Dunhill. It is in a great downtown location. The Tryon Street is the main street thru beautiful downtown. The ultra clean Tryon Street has a very cool feel with beautiful trees and lots of great restaurants and a big city feel.

The hotel staff is a bit slow but very nice. The rooms are remodeled and brand new, but a touch on the modern and trendy side, considering it is a historic hotel.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

The Dunhill Hotel is the perfect change of pace from the large chain hotels where service, attention and comfort are often inconsistent or lacking. Being an historic hotel in the heart of uptown charlotte just adds to the benefits of the warmth and charm of this hotel. I stayed 18 nights over 4 weeks during March and the experience was not only a welcome change but convinced me that there isn't another place in Charlotte I would want to stay. The rooms are updated, comfortable and quiet. Hotel and restaurant staff were exceptionally attentive, courteous, and helpful. The restaurant consistently prepared very good entrees and I found myself eating in more than going out For those who are looking for a needed change of pace and want to have an exceptional experience, check out The Dunhill.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

Perfect location in the middle of everything. I booked this property for its location. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the historic charm and ambience. What a great hotel! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
MPZCharlotte, General Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2009
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your stay was. We truly appreciate your kind comments.

We are delighted that we have had the opportunity to provide the level of service we expect our guests to receive.

Our goals is to exceed our guests highest expectations. I will be sharing your comments staff at our next staff meeting.

Best Regards,

Michael Zubel
Providence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

I chose the Dunhill as our conference hotel for a small (20 to 25 people) event held in Charlotte by my employer in February 2009. From the time I created our room block with the hotel staff right on through to the last of our attendees checking out, I couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel's central location couldn't be any better. Our attendees were able to walk to everything. The Dunhill has real historic character, the rooms are very well-furnished, and the staff is fantastic. If you're organizing a conference or similar event in Charlotte, this is the place!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

I stayed at the Dunhill Hotel in downtown Charlotte for two nights in November and highly recommend it to anyone traveling for business or pleasure. It's located right in the middle of Charlotte's unexpectedly bustling (well, unexpected by me) center--an easy walk to city hall, the business district, the convention center (and eventually, the NASCAR hall of fame), a couple of museums, and a number of restaurants and bars. It's a handsome old building, and the rooms are comfortable and tasteful. The staff is helpful and friendly. And it's a good value: I paid $139 a night (I think that's with AAA discount). Also, it's nice that they don't try to nickel and dime you like so many of the chains: $4 for a bottle of water? At the Dunhill the bottles of water are free. :-)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no major problems
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greensboro, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2008

I reserved a room at the Dunhill for a weekend getaway for my birthday this past September.
For the high price I paid, I expected something big, elegant, and worth the money. I definitely didn't think I got it.

Great location right in the middle of downtown Charlotte, but the place is really really small.
The room was small, the bed very, very squeaky, and the walls really thin.

The bathroom was okay, but also very small and nothing special.

The website promised a pair of bathrobes to every single room in the hotel, but once we got there it turned out you had to pay $50 for each robe.

By nightfall, I was really regretting going to a hotel without a pool, especially for how much I paid for it.

Room service was okay, but the food was mediocre (and a little cold), took half an hour to come up, and cost me almost $70 just for breakfast.
I spent just a little more than that on my birthday dinner the night before at a really nice restaurant down the street.

Hotel promised drinks in every room, but was just a bottle of coke and a water in the tiny fridge under the TV. The maid was, however, really nice about bringing us more.

There was no problem with noise (except hearing TV from other rooms), and checking in and out was really simple and fast.

Turn down service was nice, especially the tasty pillow chocolates, but that wasn't enough to make me feel better, especially due to the lack of other amenities.

Overall I think this hotel is okay, but definitely not as great as it claims to be, and not worth more than $100. Everything looks nice, but it was really small and mediocre.

• Liked — Turndown service and the classic look.
  • Disliked — The size of the rooms, and the lack of amenities, including a pool.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)