The Dunhill Hotel
  • Room Service
Omni Charlotte Hotel(Charlotte)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshistoric hotelfarm to tablelondon taxiturn down servicedowntown charlottediscovery placekeurig coffee makerlobby barchain hotelswithin walking distancestreet noisesouthern charmtryon stgreat downtown locationqueen bedcorner roommini fridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 November 2009

last of the great old downtown type hotels in charlotte n.c. art deco atmosphere in a renovated "grand old lady". we visit charlotte at least 4 times a year and wouldn't consider staying at any other hotel uptown since we discovered the dunhill last year. close to everything in the downtown/uptown charlotte area, the arenas and restaurants are within blocks of the hotel. large parking garage (pricey, but not out of line with the other "in town" hotels) as part of the hotel complex. we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I often travel to Charlotte for work and bring my husband and 9 year old. I love this hotel. The rooms are lovely. The staff are exceptional. It has old world charm and lots of it. The breakfast is very good and well priced. The location is excellent for museums, business and other needs. I would never stay anywhere else

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2009

every thing was great, until my wife and I checked in. the first thing they told us upon arrival is they had no hot water. we let that slide because we came for the show not the room. other patrons were not so pleased. we checked in with a credit card as you have to do. no problem. no receipt. perfect. went to show. great time, great show. got back about midnight for some sleep. woke up at three a.m. to leave and there was our receipt, slid under the door. hmmm. turns out you get an extra charge to park in their parking garage after paying for your room that they forget to let you know about. i think we all pay enough for every thing we do in life not to be charged for the privilege of parking at the same hotel that we already payed for. and the least they could do is let you know or absorb that cost. we may have been out of or element, but don't take advantage of the honest, hard working people that are willing to stay at your establishment.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kcustoms
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I was a pleasure. The staff were polite and helpful, the rooms are clean, well appointed with a nice historic style, so no cookie cutter rooms here. We found the location to be convenient for driving as well as walking to our destinations. We would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed at the Dunhill because its Uptown location was very convenient for us. We have stayed at other "Historic Hotels of America" and we like older buildings, but I expected a little more charm than the Dunhill offered.

Room furnishings were very brown and generically antique in style, drab rather than quaint I would say. I also think that if a place isn't really charming then it should be really comfortable, and the Dunhill fell a little short in that regard too. For example, the bathroom was unusually small; the plumbing worked just fine--but such thoughtful touches as a shelf for toiletries were totally lacking. Similarly, the room was comfortable and the bed nice and firm, but the not-quite-loveseat-size chair did not face the big flat-screen TV and was very close to it, leaving the desk chair the best place to sit when watching TV unless you like to watch in bed in the evening, which I do not. Reading lights by bed were good but the one near the big char was not--again, not my personal preference but at least there was some good light in the room.

Parking is quite convenient in the next-door parking deck, and probably worth the $12 self-park fee, but it was a little annoying to see that special event rates are $5 and that the Dunhill spaces seem to get used by whoever shows up first. They were taken when we arrived (I think there were relatively few people actually staying at the hotel) and we had to park much higher up in unreserved spaces--not a real problem, just a little confusing. The check-in clerk was not particularly efficient but he was very polite and friendly. We were unexpectedly given vouchers for breakfast in the Monticello Room and the food and serve were very good.

Overall I would recommend (though without great enthusiasm) the Dunhill for people with hotel tastes and budgets similar to mine. Its location is convenient, its promotional pricing is good, and it is at least worth thinking about when considering a stay in Charlotte, but it didn't quite live up to expectations. I don't mean I was expecting luxury, but it just fell a little flat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple