“A Very Pleasant Experience”
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #46 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Canandaigua
“A Very Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed 14 December 2006

We arrived at the Dunhill nearly 6 hours prior to check-in time, but when we went to the desk to ask if it would be okay to park our car early, they found us a room right away. That made a great first impression! Our room was small but well-appointed and very comfortable. The first night we were there, mints and ice accompanied the turndown service, but they didn't arrive on the second night. Parking is very convenient and reasonably priced. There's an intimate little bar in the lobby; the drinks are pricy, but excellent. There's also a restaurant attached to the hotel. We had two breakfasts and a lunch there. On Sunday morning, the service was awful. It took an hour to get our breakfast. We didn't intend to eat there the next morning, but the management gave us a complimentary breakfast and this time the service was terrific. Our daughter and her husband also stayed in the hotel, and they complimented the room service. The Dunhill's location is perfect, and it's very easy to get to. While it doesn't offer such amenities as a pool or workout room, it's friendly and definitely not a cookie-cutter accommodation. We would definitely stay at the Dunhill on a future visit to Charlotte.

• Liked — The comfort of the room
  • Disliked — Inconsistent amenities; i.e., mints and ice one night, not the next
  • Tips/Secrets — Have the bloody mary!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank BritLit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
tennessee
Reviewed 18 November 2006

I like to stay in refurbished older hotels, so instead of booking at my convention hotel in Charlotte I found the Dunhill on Tripadvisor. As I didn't have to pay for parking, it was actually cheaper than the Hilton and much nicer. The Dunhill is just a great old downtown hotel with a first-class restaurant and a nice little piano bar. Not a thing to complain about during my weekend stay. Downtown Charlotte is really lively, so staying at a central location like the Dunhill is definitely worth the extra cost.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Parking is free!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Old Joe
Charlotte
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I checked into my room late (a smoking and only available). The room stunk of tobacco smoke, the carpets were filthy. I went into the bathroom to use the toilet and it appeared that to bathroom hadn't been cleaned since someone had recently urinated in the toilet (good indication). I flushed the toilet and all kinds of unmentionable things came out nearly overflowing on the floor. I then contatced the front desk and with no apology stated that they would send up a maintenance man. At thisa point, I said I wanted another room. The front desk person was uncooperative and said that this was the last available room. I stated that I did not wish to stay. The front desk person would not provide a receipt stating no charge. This is the worst hotel experience ever!

• Liked — Parking Attendant. The only person that was polite
  • Disliked — The room was disgusting
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Banker3
Chennai, India
Reviewed 11 June 2006

An old -style hotel in uptown Charlotte. Very convenient for BOA visitors. The gym access at the nearby Crown Athletic Center is well worth the expense. The rooms are a little small but charming. Service was good and the free W-Fi service was appreciated. Dining options in the hotel are somewhat limited. A very comfortable hotel and a lot better than the Westin.

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 17 March 2005

I have stayed at the Dunhill 4 or 5 times on business over the last 2 years and enjoy its convenient location. The staff is friendly, the bell service prompt and the rooms traditional and cozy...some larger, most small.

I would recommend going out in the Uptown Charlotte area for coffee and meals. Dozens of cafes and restaurants/lounges are within walking distance.

The little touches of this boutique hotel are nice: Bose alarm clocks, chocolate covered strawberries at night, plush robes and unique soaps and shampoos. The last time I stayed there they offered complimentary coffee in the lounge in the morning and a small selection of nuts/snacks in the early evening.

I would stay there each time I visited Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2004, travelled on business
32 Thank efie30
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2005

Instead of just writing a novel on my experience at this hotel, I would prefer to highlight the pro's and con's in hopes of helping someone make their decision on staying at this hotel or not.

ROOM:

No coffee maker. ~ $15 for pot of coffee via room service.

Decorations were very old-style, dark mahogany.

Bed was very hard. Thin, tearing bed-spread. Old bed, felt like grandma's bed.

TV was small and too far away from bed.

Bathroom had literally NO counterspace. They did a make-shift glass shelf that sits directly above the faucet handles. That is it. The shelf is inches wide and about a foot long. Just enough room for a simple man's toiletries, but certainly not enough room for a woman's toiletries.
The decor in the bathroom? I just kept asking myself "why bother?".

The entire room just didn't jive with me. I didn't get a cozy sense, but that's just me.

Can hear traffic outside of my room, I was on the 4th floor.

Free USA Today newspaper at your doorstep.

There is no "Guest Services" book in the room. I had to call and bug the front desk girl several times regarding items that I'm sure I could of found in a hotel services book. I found that odd.

SERVICE:

Front desk very helpful at all times. Restaurant staff was hit or miss. Bell man was very nice.

FOOD:

Ridiculously expensive restaurant inside the hotel but it is not associated with the hotel. I had a very mediocre salmon with two glasses of house wine and my bill was $60. The salmon alone was $30. Give me a break! It was also farm-raised. I would not recommend eating in the restaurant simply because it is overpriced and not worth your dollar (or even your company's dollar).

PARKING:

Forget about parking. Use either valet (kind of difficult to even find where the valet is, there isn't a sign and it's on the side of the building, not the main entrance) or park yourself, but then you'll have to walk with your luggage quite a few feet to the nearest elevator.

WORK OUT FACILITY:

There is none. Although they say you can go to the gym across the street somewhere and pay $15/day. No thanks.

SUMMARY:

Basically this hotel is all about location. It's in the heart of downtown Charlotte. If you need to be in that area, stay in the hotel. But don't expect anything fancy or new. It's an older building, older rooms, and in general I found it very hard to get around inside the hotel and out. Just not a convenience-driven hotel.

I would not stay here again. I would of rather stayed at the Westin, but that was too expensive for my company's taste. I only stayed at the Dunhill because it was close to my work.

I've stayed at many "cute, quaint, cozy" hotels that were older, out-dated a bit, but they had character and I felt very comfortable in my room. I just didn't get that sense with this hotel, although the free chocolate covered strawberries in my room every night was a treat!

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Annandale, VA
Reviewed 24 September 2004

My friend and I were in Charlotte for a conference on September 12-13, 2004. On the recommendation of TripAdvisor I booked us for one night at the Dunhill. I couldn't have been more pleased. The staff is extra friendly and helpful. When we got to our room we noticed that there was quite a bit of noise coming from a club adjacent to the hotel and we had to be up very early the next morning, so we asked to be moved to the other side of the building. They immediately moved us, in fact, they moved our bags for us while we went out for dinner. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the bathrooms are large and very pretty. The only recommendation we would have is that they need more towel racks to place used towels on. The complimentary chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the room were a nice treat.
Parking, conveniently adjacent to the hotel, is free with validation by the hotel. Their restaurant offers a great breakfast for $3.99 and the lunch was also very good, but stay away from the shrimp and crab seafood salad. I would highly recommend this hotel and would go back. I wish we could have stayed longer, Charlotte seems like a nice city.

25 Thank rhartm