“Happy with our stay”
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #51 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 30 January 2007

We stayed for one night in Jan. on our way to St. Maarten. We love old buildings and wanted a place close to good restaurants. I looked at lots of restaurant reviews and picked Mert's Heart and Soul, around the corner, because my partner wanted ribs. They were beef ribs (not his favorite pork) but he was happy with them. I had the catfish. The hotel was very pleasant. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant the next day was costly, more than what we paid for dinner from what I recall. If you are willing to pay for "character" its worth it. The bed was very comfortable, and although the room was small we were very happy with it. The only thing we didn't like was when the hotel desk called for a cab to take us to the airport, they said someone with " a car" (a european guy driving something fairly nice) would charge the same price as a cab and then it was $30.00 compared with $20.00 for a regular cab. He would have kept the 10.00 change too if we hadn't asked for $5.00 back. Just one small detail we weren't pleased with. Everything else was great.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa G

Reviewed 5 January 2007

We popped in here the night before New Year's Eve around 11pm and asked for a room with a view of the city. When we got to our room there was no view of the city. We went back down to get our room changed and the front desk guy moved us to the Penthouse Suite. What a nice way to end the year, with two large balconies overlooking both sides of the city, a huge jacuzzi tub with rainfall shower in the bathroom and a very comfortable bed with plush linens. We went back down and graciously thanked him then enjoyed the rest of our evening and late check-out the next morning. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a little slice of heaven in Charlotte.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank greenidlady
Reviewed 14 December 2006

We arrived at the Dunhill nearly 6 hours prior to check-in time, but when we went to the desk to ask if it would be okay to park our car early, they found us a room right away. That made a great first impression! Our room was small but well-appointed and very comfortable. The first night we were there, mints and ice accompanied the turndown service, but they didn't arrive on the second night. Parking is very convenient and reasonably priced. There's an intimate little bar in the lobby; the drinks are pricy, but excellent. There's also a restaurant attached to the hotel. We had two breakfasts and a lunch there. On Sunday morning, the service was awful. It took an hour to get our breakfast. We didn't intend to eat there the next morning, but the management gave us a complimentary breakfast and this time the service was terrific. Our daughter and her husband also stayed in the hotel, and they complimented the room service. The Dunhill's location is perfect, and it's very easy to get to. While it doesn't offer such amenities as a pool or workout room, it's friendly and definitely not a cookie-cutter accommodation. We would definitely stay at the Dunhill on a future visit to Charlotte.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank BritLit
Reviewed 18 November 2006

I like to stay in refurbished older hotels, so instead of booking at my convention hotel in Charlotte I found the Dunhill on Tripadvisor. As I didn't have to pay for parking, it was actually cheaper than the Hilton and much nicer. The Dunhill is just a great old downtown hotel with a first-class restaurant and a nice little piano bar. Not a thing to complain about during my weekend stay. Downtown Charlotte is really lively, so staying at a central location like the Dunhill is definitely worth the extra cost.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank Old Joe
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I checked into my room late (a smoking and only available). The room stunk of tobacco smoke, the carpets were filthy. I went into the bathroom to use the toilet and it appeared that to bathroom hadn't been cleaned since someone had recently urinated in the toilet (good indication). I flushed the toilet and all kinds of unmentionable things came out nearly overflowing on the floor. I then contatced the front desk and with no apology stated that they would send up a maintenance man. At thisa point, I said I wanted another room. The front desk person was uncooperative and said that this was the last available room. I stated that I did not wish to stay. The front desk person would not provide a receipt stating no charge. This is the worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank Banker3
Reviewed 11 June 2006

An old -style hotel in uptown Charlotte. Very convenient for BOA visitors. The gym access at the nearby Crown Athletic Center is well worth the expense. The rooms are a little small but charming. Service was good and the free W-Fi service was appreciated. Dining options in the hotel are somewhat limited. A very comfortable hotel and a lot better than the Westin.

Reviewed 17 March 2005

I have stayed at the Dunhill 4 or 5 times on business over the last 2 years and enjoy its convenient location. The staff is friendly, the bell service prompt and the rooms traditional and cozy...some larger, most small.

I would recommend going out in the Uptown Charlotte area for coffee and meals. Dozens of cafes and restaurants/lounges are within walking distance.

The little touches of this boutique hotel are nice: Bose alarm clocks, chocolate covered strawberries at night, plush robes and unique soaps and shampoos. The last time I stayed there they offered complimentary coffee in the lounge in the morning and a small selection of nuts/snacks in the early evening.

I would stay there each time I visited Charlotte.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled on business