“Great bar, terrible food”
Review of P.J. O'Reilly's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
P.J. O'Reilly's
Cuisines: Irish
Indian Land, South Carolina
“Great bar, terrible food”
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Food has gone from great to terrible! Great bar for sports games and nice irish pub atmosphere. The food was amazing at one time. Not sure what happened because the menu didn't change, but the staff did..... Sad to see this happen. Huge St. Patrick's day party

Visited December 2012

York, NE
“Great place”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Visiting from Nebraska and heading to airport and saw this and stopped for lunch. Great food and great service for the 5 of us.

• Visited September 2013
“Our favorite date night spot!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Thus pub is our favorite place for our date night! We have four children and we don't get to have too many conversations without an interruption, we value our "dates". The atmosphere is comfortable and inviting. We love Abby and we make it a point to request her. We have been here for a few years now and have never received bad service by anyone, however, we prefer Abby because she's the best server that they have in our opinion! Our first visit was for St. Patricks day and we were served by Julie and so impressed with her service that we kept coming back! The food is always fresh and delicious. We have tried everything in the menu, some more than once and we've never been disappointed. We never feel rushed and we can enjoy our big night out without spending a lot of money. We drive 30 minutes to get there and it's worth every mile! If you're in the area you should definitely drop by and have a bite to eat!

• Visited May 2013
Charlotte, NC
“Mediocre food with poor customer service”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My husband and I enjoy going to different ethnic restaurants and were excited to try PJ O'Reilly's in the Ballantyne section of Charlotte. The restaurant itself is very dark, but the decor is nice. Our server took about 15 minutes to come over to our table, so the hostess took pity on us and took our drink order. We watched her walk over to the soda machine, only to have our server meet up with her there and begin giving her a hard time about us being her (the server's) table. The hostess gave us an "I'm sorry" look and let the server bring our drinks over. Our server never introduced herself to us and began to walk away. I shouted out to her that we were ready to order and she came back. Why not ask us if we're ready to order? What ever happened to, "Hello, my name is X. Want to hear about our specials? What can I get you to drink? Are you ready to order?".

The restaurant wasn't crowded (we ate around 4:30) and our food came out pretty quickly. Unfortunately, our server was pre-occupied chatting with another server. I asked the hostess if she could get our server for us and tell her that we'd like our food while it was hot. She was very nice and told the server that our meal was ready, and she (the server) shot us a mean look and picked up our food. She brought it over to the table and then quickly left to pick up the chat with another server again. She left before I realized that I didn't have tartar sauce and she wouldn't even look our way (forget even coming back to check on us!) so that I could catch her attention. I got up from the table and walked over to where they were chatting & laughing and told her what I needed. She told me to go sit back down and she would bring it over. I waited, and waited... By this time, my fish was pretty cold and she just stayed there chatting with the other servers. I got up again and started walking up to the food window and she intercepted me. I told her that I wanted the tartar sauce now and she followed me to the table, not letting me touch my own sauce.

My disbelief only grew when I asked to speak with the manager. He told me that she had been a server there for years and was one of the best! HELLO?!? Seriously?? He totally invalidated my concerns and backed up this crazy woman! Needless to say, I will NEVER eat there again because of the atrocious service! Do yourself a favor and eat at any other Ballantyne area restaurant so that you can fully enjoy your night out. Craving Irish food? There are other Irish pubs in Blakeney and in uptown...

• Visited April 2013
“Good Irish for South Charlotte”
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

We've been missing a good Irish pub on this side of town since O'Shea's closed. PJO fits that void very well. Good food, nice atmosphere, good beer on tap. Loved the buffalo chip appetizer.

Negatives-very sports pub-ish, could use some Irish tunes. Live music would be nice. Shepard's pie not as good as O'Shea's or Ri Ra's. Harp on tap was very pale and didn't taste quite right. A bit high priced.