“A good option for Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El Camino - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Camino
Cuisines: Mexican
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A good option for Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

First of all, TripAdvisor readers need to be aware that any reviews before 2013 are for the previous restaurant at this location, Andrew Blair's, which went out of business. Maybe those reviews are tied in here because of the physical address, but they should be removed.

My daughter and I tried El Camino last night for dinner. The food was actually pretty good. The chips were fresh and hot and perfectly salted. Salsa and fresh pico de gallo were served. I ordered the $11.99 Shrimp Quesadillas: four pieces of quesadilla with a side of sour cream and guacamole on the plate. They were supposed to come with my choice of refried or charro beans, but the waiter never brought them (despite asking which I preferred when taking my order).

My 9 year old got two beef tacos, advertised as "Tuesday is $1.00 Taco Night." The one dollar taco turned into a $1.75 taco, because she asked for it to come with sour cream and....get this....cheese. What Mexican joint charges extra for CHEESE on its tacos?? The waiter didn't advise that there would be an extra charge, but it's only $1.75 so who cares....

I got a house margarita, frozen with salt. It was actually quite tasty, but there wasn't much tequila in it. At least it wasn't all disgusting "mix" which so many restaurants serve. Their margarita doesn't compare with the ones served at Azteca on Woodlawn Road (which also has a Mexican staff....I don't think I saw one Mexican at this place last night!) El Camino is probably one of those places where, if you want a decent tequila buzz, you'll have to order one of the more expensive margaritas.

El Camino has a nice patio out front, which should serve them well in nice weather. The hostess smiled at us when we came in, but really didn't say another word as we walked to our table....not sure she's cut out for this type of work. Our waiter was very nice and friendly, but a bit inattentive. I had to laugh when we sat down and I said, "Your advertisement in Myers Park Life magazine read that you serve free queso dip between 4:00 and 7:00 pm, M-F." That threw him for a loop, so he went to ask someone else. We were sitting right near the servers' work station, and I clearly heard the other guy say, "Yeah....well, if they know about it and ask about it, that's fine, but don't give away otherwise." Unbelievable!

I'll go back for sure....it's good Mexican food at a decent price point, and you can't beat the location with all those other restaurants around. Montford Drive is quite the strip these days!

• Visited April 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Food was wonderful and excellent value for the money. Watched part of the NCAA game while I was there. I did not think they would have great TVs, but they did.

Visited April 2013
Harrisburg, North Carolina
“Just Not Good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

My husband and I had been wanting to try this restaurant after hearing it advertised on the radio. We knew it was on the pricer side but for good food we don't mind splurging. I am still upset about how much we spent for the quality of food we received. There are so many good restaurants in Charlotte but this is just not one of them. The Hummus appetizer was $11, thats a little much for 2 ice cream scoops of just ok hummus. The salads were ok, nothing special. For entrees my husband had the Bistro Steak which he said was tender but just ok, again. It came with fries, we were surprised with that for $24. I had the salmon, which was highly recommended by the server and I love salmon, but the whole dish including the asparagus just tasted so fishy. I know salmon is somewhat fishy but it was just overpowering. It said to have a crab and artichoke crust, that was a joke, it was just crab and a piece of artichoke on top. We heard a server bragging that all the chefs graduated at Johnson & Wales which is a very reputable school but the quality of food they serve does not represent the talent that should come out of that school. We were very disappointed and will not return.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food, and more of it prepared in house than so many other restaurants. Value priced. A little noisy on a Saturday...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

Good food, and more of it prepared in house than so many other restaurants. Value priced. A little noisy on a Saturday night. Would benefit from draught beer.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook