“Utter disappointment...”

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: First Ward
Cross street: Corner of College and 5th Sts.
Description: Blue Restaurant is a sophisticated restaurant that offers flavors from around the Mediterranean region. Our multicultural menu will take your taste buds on a whirlwind tour. prepare to experience a Moroccan Tagine, Whole Roasted Mediterranean Sea Bass or a Tenderloin a la Blue. as you travel around the menu, you will be delighted with familiar dishes and excited by others you have yet to explore.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From the appetizers to the dessert, this food experience was boring, blah, and tasteless in every category. Hummus was 2 small globs with no flavor and almost dry. The calamari was good, but for $11.00...overpriced. The house baked bread...also tasteless. The cream cheese spread was okay, but this is dinner...how about including butter? I did not complain to the server as this was a special evening, and I did not want to spoil it for my guests. I think they felt the same way. My tenderloin was nothing special and the risotto was lukewarm, mushy, and tasteless. And how is it that the amaretto cheesecake was over cooked and dry? How does this happen to a restaurant that was once soooo good? Coffee at McDonald's was much better and did not cost me $6.50!!! I will not go back and waste my hard earned money on this overpriced restaurant. I had this same experience at another restaurant in Charlotte called M5 or M3 at Southpark. I ordered a salad and was served a salad w/ 3 tomato slices with a couple of cheese slices in between and almost no dressing for $12.00!!!!!! But, it was in a huge bowl!!!! Let's be real people! This is ridiculous! This is why I hesitate to go out nowadays. Charlotte used to have fabulous restaurants like the Barley and Rye, the Epicurean, and the Boars head. This makes me sad!

1  Thank Carolyn M

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our choice for a pre-theater dinner was based on its recommendation in a Playbill. We were the first diners of the evening and were beginning to worry about our choice, when suddenly the place filled up and the space was filled with the sound of laughter, clinking glasses, and waiters flying by in a blur.
The menu changes, so I won't discuss the meals except to say that ever one of our seven courses was perfect, thanks to the recommendations of our waiter Fergus. He subtly guided our choices and helped with dead-on wine choices. We made it to our seats a couple of blocks away just as the lights dimmed.

We will definitely return.

2  Thank William T
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Several friends and I dined at Blue when we were in Charlotte recently, and we all felt like our meals were outstanding. The divers scallops were perfectly seared, and the poached pear and baby arugula salad was great. I had the duo of boar, and it lived up to its high billing. The sticky toffee pudding might have been the highlight of the evening. The service was great. It's pricey, but I felt it was well worth every penny.

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The food was delicious, the service fast and attentive, even though there were a couple of parties, reunions and meetings, we never felt that we were not the most important customers there. And they were very conscious of the fact that we were in a time crunch because of a play we were attending.

1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Great place. I came recommended by my hotel and loved it.

Complementary valley parking. Great corner location in downtown Charlotte
Beautiful lounge type decoration with domed light.

Bar area is spacious and different

Food was wonderful

Great scallop appetizer.
Small well thought of portions. Feels healthy

Short rib was awesome