“Great food and atmosphere”
Review of Zebra Restaurant & Wine Bar - CLOSED

Zebra Restaurant & Wine Bar
Price range: US$22 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: South Park Mall across Sharon Road.
Description: Under New Ownership & newly renovated, ZEBRA offers a French American Contemporary Fine & Casual Dining. Full a la carte menu, Prix Fixe menu, Tasting Menu, Bar menu, Outdoor Dining on renovated patio, Live Music, Drink & Bar Menu Specials, on Fridays Brunch 11 am - 2 pm Sundays.. Reservations Recommended
York, South Carolina
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the food. It was our first time dining at Zebra and it was recommended by friends of ours. The only thing I would suggest to people is that you need to give yourselves extra time in this restaurant because it is very European in the dining sense. If you're on a time constraint, wait another night. Definitely worth checking out

N.Carolina
“Always a wonderful experience in fine dining”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Zebra is one of the finest restaurants in Charlotte. It never disappoints. The food is excellent, creatively prepared and so artistically served.....and very generous portions. The "basket" filled with scallops, shrimp, lobster and filet is amazing....Nothing can compare! But, be sure to save room for the wonderful souffles for desert. The chocolate sauce is the topper. Every course including the extras they serve is perfection. And, the meal is made most special when your server is Joe...he is the most professional waiter we have ever had. Joe makes a delicious meal and true fine dining experience. Selection of wines is great. Not to be missed.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Overall Dissapointed”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Took my wife here to celebrate our anniversary this past Saturday. When I made the reservation I noted that was the occasion. Once entering the restaurant we stood around a while before being greeted even though members of the staff passed by. We were finally greeted by a nice gentlemen who ended up being our server. When he checked the reservation he obviously missed the note regarding our anniversary. He was however an outstanding server and took excellent care of us. On to dinner....

After being seated at a very small table with guests very close on either side. We realized it wasn't going to be quite as cozy and romantic as hoped. We then placed our drink orders. I ordered a Basil Hayden's bourbon neat, and my wife ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc. The waiter returned with my bourbon on the rocks. I didn't mention it and he was on his way. Then what I am assuming is supposed to be their sommelier approached the table and informed us they were out of sauvignon blanc. He had two bottles in hand and offered substitutions. My wife tried the first and didn't care for it. The other was chardonay which my wife loathes. She asked for pinot griggio and he said he had that. Walking away he states if she doesn't like the pinot he will open a bottle of sauvignon blanc for her. What!?

Bread and butter: Bread was pretty basic nothing special at all. However their house made, seasoned butter with chives folded in made it quite enjoyable

Appetizer: We had the featured scallop dish with pork belly. The scallops were as good as they come, cooked perfectly. The pork belly was not memorable

Salads: I had the Caesar. At a restaurant of this claimed caliber I expected much better. The greens were pale and yellow. The salad was completely over-dressed and the dressing could have been store bought for all I know. No anchovies either. My wife had the beet salad which i believe she enjoyed

Entrees: I went for the most expensive option, their "Signature Dish". I wish I hadn't. It consists of a small filet of beef, scallops, shrimp, and a small piece of lobster sitting in a decorative basket on a small dollop of mashed potatoes and some undercooked carrots. I requested the fillet medium rare and received it closer to medium well. The lobster was terribly overcooked, tough and chewy, the shrimp surprisingly were very undercooked, fishy, and inedible. The scallops once again were delicious. My wife had the butter poached lobster of which I tasted a small piece and it was definitely better than what I was served, but still not amazing.

Dessert: The desserts looked amazing, but since we had an anniversary cake at home that was delivered that morning we passed. After informing our server of this, he was surprised it was our anniversary and scurried off and brought us two glasses of champagne and a small dessert. Very nice of him!

I had a voucher from Amazon Local for $40 to spend at Zebra which I got for $10. Good deal. I presented this to the server and he handled it no problem. The weird thing was he put 20% gratuity on and closed the check with no option to tip. I would have actually gave him more (we actually stuck $5 cash in since that was all I had on me). There was no stipulation on the Amazon deal that I saw for automatic 20%, but even if there was don't short change yourself and not allow for additional tipping....

I seriously doubt we will be back. Zebra did not deliver on the "fine dining" experience I hoped for

1 Thank Double_D00
South Carolina
“best dining experience ever”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The food is always outstanding and the service wonderful. the menus offers a good range of choices. I dine here regularly and have never been disappointed. there is always a new soufflé to end the meal. favorite dish......hard to choose everything from the cheese plate , sweetbreads. a variety of fresh fish and seafood all excellent. lunch is great as well. the staff is very attentive and personable. we love Jonathan but Justin , Ramsey and Jessica are fabulous too. The chef/owner is truly dedicated to providing a superb experience. zebra also offers wine pairing dinners which shouldn't be missed.

• Visited March 2014
Tilburg, The Netherlands
“Fine dining in Charlotte”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I really enjoyed my meal in Zebra Restaurant. The service was very good and the food delicious. As entree I had the foie gras (outstanding) and the dover sole was very well prepared. This combined with the nice wine selection makes this a restaurant you should visit while in Charlotte.

• Visited February 2014