“happy birthday to me”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Charlotte, North Carolina
“happy birthday to me”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My boyfriend took me to Barrington's for my birthday, and it was a wonderful choice. As has been said time and time again, the space is small and intimate and the servers are practiced, knowledgeable, and efficient. There was one less-than-perfect thing that I must mention before I get to the good stuff: The bread is just not good. It might as well come from a bag with a twist-tie. They do provide olive oil and roasted garlic, so that's nice. However, first impressions can be hard to overcome, and this wasn't a good one. I ordered a cosmopolitan and it was much stronger than I expected, though I guess I could just look at that as getting our money's worth. We shared the Maine lobster appetizer and liked it very much--there was a lot going on and it all worked. I had the chicken as my entree and it was supremely moist and flavorful. I was afraid the garlic pan sauce would be too garlicky, but it was perfect. The potatoes were delicious too--for the first time ever, I didn't need to add salt! My boyfriend ordered the scallops and let me have a bite. They were delicious--so buttery and rich, but not overly so. We had to have dessert because I'm a dessert freak, and we picked the roasted banana cheesecake. I don't usually like cheesecake, but we had seen this dish come out to the diner beside us, and it looked great. Coconut whipped cream, macadamia nut crust, caramel sauce--how could it be bad? It was amazing, the best dessert I've had in a long time. I couldn't have made a better birthday cake for myself if I tried. This is a great spot--highly recommended for any special occasion!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank grace m

Columbia, South Carolina
“Wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I drove to Charlotte from Columbia last month just to dine here. I was not disappointed. I had the foie gras and the venison both of which were delicious. My server suggested wine for each course and I was equally impressed. The dining room was small, intimate, and beautifully furnished. I will definitely be returning the next time I am in Charlotte. The only thing that prevented a 5* review was the fact that I stood in the foyer for five minutes before I was greeted. High recommend.

• Visited February 2014
NC
“Best of Charlotte”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This restaurant is my favorite restaurant in Charlotte and has been for several years. Small and intimate, the food is innovative and delicious and the service is efficient, friendly and fun. The combination of all make for a very enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Travel4FunNC
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Perfect night out”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Being from France we tend to be difficult about food: Barrington did not fail us.
We enjoyed every dish we tried. It was our 16th anniversary and we did not regret it.
The place was full and tables are a bit close but we could talk without raising the voice which helped our romantic evening. We' ll be back.
Note: Restaurant is calling you back to tell you if your reservation is accepted.

• Visited June 2013
Charlotte, NC
“Wonderful dining experience, Charlotte favorite”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Barringtons is our favorite Charlotte restaurant, hands down. We have visited over ten times and have always left smiling - the food, atmosphere and service (I'd really call it hospitality) are exceptional. Bruce and his team have built an incredible restaurant success at Barringtons.

The restaurant is very small - can't be more than 12 tables. I really like the intimacy. The lighting is always just right. The small bar area is great to have a drink before sitting for dinner. Wait service is very good - not stuffy, but a certain casual confidence from the staff. They are always well versed on the menu and glad to provide an honest recommendation.

The thoughtful menu is seasonal, with wonderfully executed dishes. I really like that the menu is not too large. You can tell that the kitchen staff wants to execute the dishes perfectly rather than water down the menu with with too many selections. My wife is partial to the fish, always a winner. I prefer the lamb, spectacular. In our many visits, we have consistently been thrilled with the quality of the meals.

Given the quality of the meal and experience at Barringtons, I think the prices are reasonable. Bruce has also done a tremendous job with his other restaurant in Charlotte - Good Food on Montford. We also look forward to trying their new Italian place - Stagiani's.

Bravo, Barringtons!!! We will be back soon...

• Visited October 2013