“It's shabby on the outside, but good for a Greek fix in Charlotte.”
Review of Mad Greek Cafe

Mad Greek Cafe
Ranked #169 of 2,438 Restaurants in Charlotte
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Madison Park
Description: Charlotte's Family Ran Greek Restaurant Charlotte's Best Gyro Charlotte's Only Authentic Greek Cafe
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I love Greek food and eat it anywhere I go. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices in Charlotte for good Greek. The Mad Greek's food is really good. The cheeseburger pita was good, but not particularly memorable. However, the moussaka was fantastic. The gyro was flavorful and left me eagerly licking lamb juice and tzatziki off fingers. And, the grape leaves should not be missed. All that said, before going prepare yourself to dine a less than desirable building. The outside is dingy...the inside is dingy...and the whole place just doesn't seem like they could serve the great food that they do. It is, however, good. Look past the building and enjoy! Prices are very reasonable (lunches for less than $10 a person and dinner for less than $15). Service is friendly and fast. We waited less than ten minutes from ordering to being served.

1  Thank GravityFails1

Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I dined at The Mad Greek restaurant again last night and it was superb! I had freshly caught red snapper cooked over charcoal, and served nestled on a bed of fresh garden greens seasoned with lemon and olive oil. The greens were cooked to tender perfection and the fish was grilled absolutely perfectly - tender, flaky, with buttery smoothness. My husband had the wonderful beef/lamb gyro dinner with the best tzatziki sauce I've ever tasted. A large fresh pan of Pastitsio had just come out of the oven, and was the best I've ever tasted (I sampled a bite). My husband's dinner with all the trimmings was under $10 and my fish was only a couple dollars more. The service was impeccable - friendly and prompt. We will be returning often to The Mad Greek during the months we are in Charlotte.

1  Thank Charlottegirl2
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Visiting in Charlotte this weekend and ventured out to find dinner. We drove down three long roads, and landed at the Mad Greek Cafe. Lucky us! Do not judge this place by it's outside cover. The food was fresh and delicious. The chef came out and told us the things he made today, and each one was perfect. He sent out a sample of a vegetable that was so good, even my children ate it! We were so full, and decided to take dessert back to our hotel. Service was EXCELLENT, very personable, and each recommendation was right on target. If you come to Charlotte and do not make time to eat at the Mad Greek Cafe, you are missing out on the best meal you will have had in a long time.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

The portions were huge and the price reasonable. Can say one bad thing about the service. The decor might leave something to be desired, but I go to places for the food, not the atmosphere.

1  Thank Deargceann
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Having lived in a city with the largest Greek population in North America (Toronto), my wife and I feel that The Mad Greek Cafe is Charlotte's BEST Greek restaurant. Period! We live very close by, and South Boulevard is FULL of non-descript Greek places (Skyland, Greystone, Light Rail, etc.). However, all pale in comparison to owner Chris's tasty and authentic Greek food. Take his Gyros, for example. He toasts his Pita's with butter and then serves them to you hot. Oh so tasty!

We took my VERY fussy Mother-in-Law here and she said that her Pork Souvalaki was THE BEST she's ever had! And THAT is a compliment, because she is surrounded by Greek food in her Montreal neighborhood.

Yes, this is NOT a "romantic" place. It does look a little worn down from both the inside and outside. But, it's the FOOD that is the star here! Ask Chris what his daily special is, and order it. He usually makes a whole-roasted Greek Chicken with potatoes, and that is EXCELLENT!

If you want excellent Greek food at a very affordable price, check this place out!

1  Thank pcwineguy64