“OK Mex in a Corporate Park Setting”

Zapatas Cantina Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #1,119 of 2,448 Restaurants in Charlotte
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner
Neighbourhood: Ballantyne East
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Had an extended business stay in area and love quick basic food so I was here 3-4 times in the Fall. Good variety of tacos, fresh enough fish, good skirt steak. Bland refrieds and salsa, good service. Beware dinnertime if you want to avoid the preschool family crowd, otherwise typical metro-suburban crowd. Decent value for your money.

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Took a group of 7 adults and 2 children. We were seated rather quickly. We were waited on by 2 servers and ordered several alcoholic beverages, and meals. We never had to wait for anything. Very prompt and cordial workers.
The food was tasty, better than some Mexican restaurants I have eaten at. Large portions, could very easily share meals if you want. The price is on the higher end, especially for mixed drinks.

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

. Wait staff hanging around the desk in view of everyone talking. Dinner entree taste and quality was below average. Menu looked like they might be attempting to break out of the typical mainstream mexican restaurant rut but fell significantly short of that goal. Overall the venue had too many different notifications and signs taped up. Pork carnitas were overly fatty. I had heard they were ok but that was not my experience

Reviewed 20 August 2013

This was one of the best meals of our trip. Food was tasty, and the service was very welcoming. They really try to make sure that everyone feels welcome.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I believe this place does pretty solid business because it is next to a very successful restaurant that often has a wait, and often people give up waiting and go to Zapata's just because they're that hungry. (That has been me the past two times.)

Authentic? Hardly! If you want authentic, you need to go to Unica or somewhere like that. Charlotte has a lot of great Mexican places and you can do much better. My daughter's friend said the food was just like what they served in the school cafeteria! Oh my! I thought the salsa was good, but the meats were overcooked and dried out, the beans were like mush with no taste, the rice was, well, school cafeteria-worthy.

It's too bad - this place has an awesome location and nice patio, great for kids, but there are just too many other good choices around. I don't imagine that their repeat business is very good. There's nothing here that can't be fixed and no reason why this place could not receive the highest rating. I hope they try to attain this.