“Good "Sleep, Park, and Fly" at reasonable price”

Clarion Hotel Airport & Conference Center
Ranked #66 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Sugar Land, Texas
“Good "Sleep, Park, and Fly" at reasonable price”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked this room through the "sleep,park,and fly" program. We have stayed at other hotels near the Charlotte airport, and chose Clarion (3*) when our normal hotel (4*) was fully booked. We were not disappointed as the Clarion cost less and provided the service expected. The staff were friendly, room was clean, extended parking was secure, and shuttle service exceptional. Our shuttle driver, DeMarcus, was pleasant and a safe driver. While clean, the room could use a quieter air conditioner and better maintained bathroom fixtures. The surrounding neighborhood is not a location to take a pleasant stroll, although the hotel grounds were safe and secure. Wifi worked well in room. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GRNC496, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport & Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Gmdeeley,

We are so happy that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your stay. As someone who is familiar with other hotels in the area, it means a lot that you are able to attest to the value and quality of our customer service. Thank you so much for your kind comments and we look forward to having you again soon!

704-688-9944

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kansas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this hotel, because I had 12 hours to kill between flights in Charlotte. I was looking for quick, hassle-free access to and from the airport and a comfortable bed. That's it.

The bed was fine. The room was clean.

The ride to and from the airport was a disaster. When we arrived at the Charlotte Airport, I called about the shuttle. I was standing on the curb when I did so. It was a busy time at the airport -- shortly after 9 p.m. -- and I was standing in a sea of humans on the curb.

I could see the shuttle driver, but I couldn't get through the wall of people before he pulled away from the curb. I was literally waving and screaming as he shut the door, waited for the bus in front of him to move, and drove away with a half-empty van. He didn't even look around. It was as if he was trying not to notice customers who may have needed a ride.

I called the hotel and they said the next shuttle would be another 45 minutes. It was an hour and 15 minutes. By the time we reached the hotel, which is approximately 8 miles from the airport, it was 10:45 p.m. I hadn't eaten, and had I known the wait would be so long, I would have grabbed a bite in the airport. When we reached the hotel, virtually every restaurant was closed save for an IHOP Restaurant, with a very limited late-night menu.

I asked the night clerk what I needed to do to make sure we had a ride to the airport in the morning. He explained that the van ran every hour and half hour, but it gets busy around 6 a.m., so be down a little earlier than van time to secure a seat during the morning rush.

We schlepped ourselves to bed, calling to request a wake-up call. The wake-up call never came. Fortunately, I always sleep light before I need to catch a flight so we were up in plenty of time.

When we got downstairs, well before the 7 a.m. van was scheduled to pull out, the desk clerk asked if we had signed up for a van time. She flipped through the (apparent) sign-up sheet with a bit of attitude. Um. No. No one told us that we needed to sign up for a van and we specifically ASKED what we needed to do. The driver did end up taking us to the airport at 7 a.m. We were the only two on the shuttle.

To add insult to injury, the base price of the room I booked was $89. When I received the final bill, the base price was $10 higher. I didn't say anything. I had a plane to catch and losing $10 on the transaction didn't kill me. It did confirm that I will never darken the doors of a Clarion hotel again.

I had signed up for their loyalty program when I booked thinking I often have need for a convenient and clean hotel, but after that experience in Charlotte? I don't think so.

I needed that hotel to provide a minimum amount of services -- a convenient shuttle to and from the airport and a wake-up call -- they failed at both tasks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danedri
Danedri,

On behalf of the staff here at the Clarion, I am sorry that we were not able to demonstrate the high level of service that our team is capable of and should have provided for you. Our complimentary van service that we offer our guests is something that we pride ourselves on. We will be speaking with our van drivers to make sure that they are being more aware of potential guests and ensure that our front desk staff is making the the process for van usage clear. We apologize that this did not happen in this instance. In spite of the incidence with the van, we are so happy that your room exceeded expectation and that you were able to get some rest before your flight. I assure you that the next time you are a guest at the Clarion, we can assure you that we will be able to demonstrate the efficiency with which we normally operate.

We hope to see you soon!

Columbia, SC
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This upgraded property made for a very good stay with a couple of exceptions. There was no brochure in the room with the hotels guidelines and the free breakfast was definitely NOT free.

The bed was one of the most comfortable ones ever!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mr. Leken,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback regarding your stay at the Clarion Hotel. We always like to hear what we are doing right for our guests and what we can improve on. We apologize for any miscommunication that may have occurred. We do offer breakfast in our atrium that you order from a menu. We should have communicated that clearly when you made your reservation. In spite of this, we are happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and hope that you come back to enjoy our "most comfortable beds ever" again very soon.

Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was worried when I read some of the reviews, but I can honestly say that this stay was a great experience. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. We used the shuttle service to and from the airport, once we called from the airport to pick us up, they arrived within 10 minutes! Our car was very safe, the rooms were very clean and extremely comfortable. Yes this hotel has been remodeled and you can tell, but it honestly is nice. If you were doing the sleep/park/fly I would do it everytime.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheSunburntTraveler
Dear Mr. Sunburnt Traveller,

We were pleased that you found our wonderful establishment a nice reprieve from the harsh sun. (Get it?) All joking aside, we love being able to exceed the expectations of our guests and provide them with comfort, convenience, and value. Park, Sleep, Fly is an amazing service that we provide our guests and we are proud of the difference it makes for our guests planning to leave for vacations, long or short. We hope that you consider staying with us again in the near future and again, appreciate all of your positive comments! We will be sharing it with our staff here on site.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We spent the night here before flying out to Vegas. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They (Thanks Brad) helped me print out my airline tickets and we parked our car here while gone for 9 days. The room and bed were comfortable and had all we needed. The shuttle to the airport was timely and very courteous (Thanks Demarcus). When we flew back in and called for a shuttle, they were there in just a few minutes. Our car was right where we left it. I would stay here again. It was cheaper to spend the night and park here than to park at the airport. I would recommend it to anyone travelling that doesn't live near by. I do wish they had a continental breakfast. I would not recommend the breakfast at the cafe in the Ramada next door. It was all processed food, cheap quality & expensive for what you got.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Janet,

Thank you for your awesome feedback! We love to hear when our efforts as a staff pay off and when our guests have an amazing experience.Our Park, Sleep, Fly program is a special feature that we are able to offer to guests and we are extremely proud of that fact. DeMarcus and Brad are invaluable assets to our team. We hope that you enjoyed your vacation in Vegas and that we have the privilege of having you back again soon.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We live in Greenville, SC and were flying to Alaska tomorrow so we stayed at the Clarion Airport the night before. The hotel is ideal for people who don't live near by and don't want to get up very early and drive to the Charlotte airport. They just refurbished the hotel and it very nice. The staff seem very helpful. Whatever your reason for staying here it's a lovely hotel and very convenient to restaurants and about 15 minute shuttle ride to the airport.

Room Tip: all rooms have been redone so wherever your room is it's fine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard,

On behalf of the staff here at the Clarion, we are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a comfortable place to sleep before your trip and that you were able to utilize our complimentary van service. We hope that we will see you again before your next trip!

Thank you for choosing the Clarion.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here prior to departure at CLT. While the hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport, the shuttle service was convenient. Lots of airline employees stay at this combination Clarion/Ramada property so the shuttle gets full--be sure to book the night before. The front desk was helpful, and allowed us to park two cars in the long-term lot just for a one-night stay and get the shuttle back to the car even though we didn't book the hotel for our date of return. The hotel wasn't easy to find because it is marked with only a Ramada sign on the road. Booked through Park, Sleep, Fly and couldn't be more pleased with the rate and the service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We love receiving positive feedback from our guests. We truly enjoy providing each of our guests with amazing service. In terms of our signage, we are currently renovating the front of our building in order to make it more visible for all of our arriving guests. We hope that we can expect you back soon so that you can see the new changes we made.