“Not at great as expected..”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cajun Yard Dog

Cajun Yard Dog
Ranked #95 of 2,351 Restaurants in Charlotte
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not at great as expected..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We read the reviews on trip advisor and so we wanted to check it out since it was a top ten restaurant in Charlotte. We were not impressed. We didn't mind the wait at all but it did take a bit so get there early. We went on a Saturday night and we seated fairly quickly by a very pleasant and friendly staff. The waitress explained that everything was fresh and cooked to order. We ordered the potato skin/chips appetizer but they were not in fresh and instead tasted like burnt potato chips. We also ordered the fried mushrooms which were huge! 5 on the plate and very clean fresh and tasty. We were expected small little bite sized shrooms but these were still great. I ordered the fried chicken which was good. Nice and juicy, and the skin was perfect. He ordered the pork chip special and was very disappointed since it was very undercooked in the center..pretty much raw! And for pork to be that way was a big issue with us. They were nice about it and brought us a whole new meal on the house but it was discouraging nonetheless. Instead he got the catfish which turned out to be really good. The sides were pretty good the mac was not as good as most reviews suggested but to each is own. The grits were much better than the Mac. All in all it was an ok dining experience.

“A hidden gem...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have been dining at Cajun Yard Dog for several years. We LOVE their food. The service is always friendly. I have tried almost everything on the menu and have only been disappointed once (didn't like the yard chips appetizer). I love that there is a daily fresh fish special (many times it's a fish that isn't offered everywhere). My favorite dish is the crawfish étouffée with the smothered cabbage or macaroni and cheese. I have NEVER tasted macaroni and cheese anywhere else that even compares to how wonderful it is at CYD. The atmosphere is a little lacking, but I'm not dining there for the atmosphere. It's a small restaurant so, if you go at lunch or dinner rush don't be surprised by the wait. Their food is what has keep us coming back for years!

• Visited February 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Average dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Okay I went to this place based on the reviews from here. First of all my dinning experience starts from when I enter the establishment. Like 90% of the restaurants here in this city you come in and meet the hostess and they take your name, ask how many are in your party, give you a buzzer, etc. here you have to sign your name on a plain sheet of paper, no letterhead or nothing, no lines just plain white paper (lol). Another big disappointment for me was the tableware, geez I've seen better forks, knives, and plates in the dollar store! My waitress was professional, the food came in large portions, but I'm gonna say here again it was just average. We had the beer battered mushrooms appetizer, they were huge, but hard with little flavor. I had the pick 3 for $20, fried catfish, fried oysters, and fried shrimp. It was decent. My fries were swimming in grease though, just wasn't tasty, collard greens were okay. Another thing, for their prices, I would have favored drinking from a real glass instead of a plastic cup. I can't recommend this place to my friends, it's over a 1000 other places worth dinning at. Stop cutting the simple corners, and then I may change my mind.

Visited March 2014
Asheville, North Carolina
“Charming little restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This restaurant was a hidden gem. It was in the back of the Arboretum and if you weren't paying close attention you would miss it. The wait was long but it was well worth it. Our meal was excellent! We'll make sure to eat there everytime we visit Charlotte.

Visited February 2014
Huntsville, Alabama
“Can't go wrong with their fried chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have been going to this Arboretum restaurant for years and absolutely love their fried chicken. We always order the white and pay the upcharge, and it's worth the wait. Sides are also delicious: collards, mashed potatoes, cucumber salad...and others. It's hard to decide which two to select.
Specials are written on the board, and their desserts are delicious!

Service is always prompt and friendly. Seating is limited, and there is often a line out the door. This is a hidden gem. It's located to the right of Michael's craft store, with a rather nondescript yellow sign overhead with the picture of a gator (= Cajun yard dog). The decor is a Mardi Gras theme, and there are quite a few Cajun items on the menu, including jambalaya. They do take-out orders, also.

• Visited April 2013