“Upscale feel and decor - food good but pricey”
Review of Baku

Baku
Reserve with OpenTable
Baku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 2,465 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice atmosphere. Food was overall good but expensive for what it was. Unlikely to go back as a result.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

If u r hungry, be prepared 2 spend $$$$. Food is excellent, portions r really small & I am not big eater. Same goes 4 drinks. My glass of wine looked like 4.5oz & my husband's beer was 12oz. Service was turn off. Service is always huge part of overall experience 4 me. Server was rushing 4 us 2 order, he didn't recommend, he told us what 2 order! There was a point, when he put us in2 box by saying "most people", I had 2 remind myself I am here 2 enjoy myself & nobody will not ruin it 4 me:) In this case food made up 4 service. If u r foodie, u don't care how much u spend, u must go. Roasted oysters were out of this world! Tuna tartar - small, but really good. Beef tenderloin - excellent, sushi roll - average.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This tapas style Japanese restaurant is one of a kind in Charlotte. The menu is enormous and has the best sake list anywhere this side of Tokyo. Our server, Michael Vergilli, understood our preferences and suggested some wonderful things that would have never crossed our mind.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

What you notice walking into Baku are its décor and the bustling pace. The kitchen on the right is hopping and you can see food being cooked over an open flame. The walls are covered in bold reds and blacks, and the lounge upstairs is adorned with what I can only describe as a manga mural of sorts. Definitely stands out! There are a variety of seating options offered, from bar stools, to small tables, to seating for large groups, to lounge areas, making for an interesting mix. I found the downstairs loud, so followed the hostess upstairs for a quieter seat.
The menu is well presented and well organized. I tried a couple of different dishes for variety, including the edamame, robata scallops, and the tuna tartare with quail's egg. All were delicious and beautifully presented. There was clearly care taken to chose fine ingredients and cook them perfectly. The bar carried a good selection of beers, wines, and cocktails, plus an entire section devoted to sake of all kinds.
The downside here? It's expensive, and the food, while excellent, comes in small portions. I am a moderate eater but this left me feeling barely full for $60+ dollars (including a beer) - ouch. Service was good and the environment slick and modern. I wish I could recommend it more highly, but cost holds me back.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I dined here together with 16 colleagues and we had the chef's menu. Every part of the menu was well prepared and absolutely delicious. The dishes ranged from small bites to bigger dishes, all served on platers for sharing, and the desert was spectacular. The only reason I'm not giving it an excellent rating was the somewhat slow service of drinks that left several of us with empty glasses during the evening and one of my colleagues never got the second round of hot sake he ordered.

Would I come back? Absolutely!