“A Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #117 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Blowing Rock
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Stayed here and was pleasantly surprised. Looks like it has been overhauled and they did a great job. Help was friendly and the King room althouh a little small was very nice. Great value!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 18 February 2008

I think this hotel is recent conversion from another hotel (Morgan?), so it seems fresh and new. The hotel is about half 2 room suites and half rooms, and I was upgraded to a suite. I haven't seen a room, but if the suite isn't much more expensive, I would go with the suite. The suite had a sitting area, desk, refrigerator, microwave and flat screen TV. The bedroom had another flat screen TV and bath area. The staff I dealt with were all friendly and helpful. The hotel has a shuttle to/from the airport every 30 minutes, and it is an easy drive from the airport (about 10-15 minutes on mostly highway). Ample parking. About 5 miles from downtown Charlotte. There is a pool, exercise room, business center, etc., but I didn't use those facilities. When I visit Charlotte again, I will stay here. The hotel is close to the airport, highways, convenient location and probably much cheaper than downtown properties (I paid $88/night for 4 nights).

• Liked — Rooms, location.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank cadence8
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 26 January 2008

This is a perfect hotel for business travelers looking for a reasonable price with all the hospitality you expect in the south. Rooms are very clean. I was upgraded to a King suite with my Starwood platinum status and it was laid out perfectly for the business traveler. For dinner, I dropped by the restaurant and the chef was very personable, putting together a perfect feast after a long day of travel--with all the personal touches. I got my room for $112 per night with a AAA discount on the spg.com website.

• Liked — service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank johnee99
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2007

Very nice place to stay. Good places to eat around the property.
The most updated rooms I have ever stayed at.
Very Clean, Quite, and comfortable.
Excellent Value.

• Liked — Clean, Freindly Staff.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I have stayed at this property twice in the last six weeks with friends while staying in Charlotte for a couple of Panthers games. My wife works for Sheraton so I try to stay at one their properties while travelling.

The hotel itself is not bad. The lobby, which they were working on the first time we stayed, was finished when arrived this time and it has a flat screen TV with a sitting area and computer guests can use to access internet. Rooms also have flat screens and the rooms are very quiet. Heard very little noise either trip. Front desk is helpful and friendly. 4 stars for all of this.

Now the bad, and I do mean B-A-D! We had our vehicle broken into both trips. First time we parked in the back. My thought at the time was it can happen anywhere and booked the hotel for the second game without a second thought. Big mistake. This time when we got back from the game at around 5 pm we parked in the front parking lot just steps from the front door. We go out at 6:30 to hit the town and the lock has been popped out and someone had rummaged throught the glove compartment and stole a portable tv from the behind the front seat. It had barely gotten dark outside! We asked the front desk clerk about security and she said they don't come in until 11pm. Didn't help us either time as both times the thugs broke in before 11. She even stated things had been getting bad around there and that this wasn't uncommon.

Management needs to step up because they have a major security problem. Lights in the front parking lot didn't come on until about 7:30 about 2 hours after the sun went down. Even then the lighting was inaddequate. Security needs to be there before 11 since this seems to be a regular occurence. I have lousy luck but to get robbed twice in a six week span at the same place boggles the mind. Once is an accident but twice is pattern. I can only imagine how many break-ins occur here in a week or for that matter a night. I can assure you it won't happen to us a third time because we won't be back.

• Liked — Nice rooms, friendly staff, convenient to downtown.
  • Disliked — Having car broken into twice on separate trips.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
Tennessee
Reviewed 11 August 2007

The hotel itself is undergoing reconstruction but that still does not excuse alot of issues this hotel has. My room was very clean but had some maintenance issues. Some of the furniture was scraped up pretty bad, probably could have been solved with some varnish and my carpet could have used some spot cleaning.
The complimentary breakfast was pretty bad. Toast, two different types of muffins and some cranberry that had fermented.

For the price, it was definitely not worth $100 a night. Most of the staff was pretty friendly but I think this hotel needs a major overhaul.
As for the city,with a map, it is easy to find your way around Charlotte or better yet ask someone at the front desk.

The Concord Mall is definitely the place to go, but the food court is a bit pricey though.

• Liked — Business Center
  • Disliked — General feel of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
peachwhit3
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My first impression was that we were staying in a nice hotel. The lobby was attractive and the front desk was friendly. We were given a top floor room which was very quiet. They seemed to be repairing some water damage on the wall when getting out of the elevator. It was kind of ugly, but no big deal.
The beds were comfortable. My only complaint was that the shower was either too hot or too cold. The way the faucet adjusted did not allow for a "medium hot" shower. Kind of weird and irritating when you have young kids who don't want to get scalded. Another small gripe was that the alarm clock went off at 4:00 AM. I did'nt even know there was an alarm clock in the room until then. Also, they told me the shuttle to the airport would take 7 minutes. Apparently airport employees take presidence, because our trip took 25 minutes after dropping off someone. This could have been a problem if we had been running late. Other than that, we enjoyed our room and found it to be comfortable.

• Liked — close to the airport
  • Disliked — shower too hot or cold. Unable to adjust the temp.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family