“Pleased with this hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood
Ranked #100 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Pleased with this hotel”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for a single night business trip. Hotel is in a good location for local business access. Evening dining options are within close (5-10 minutes) and downtown Charlotte is 15-20 minutes, traffic permitting.

Hotel was clean, well appointed and quiet (well, a few jets from Charlotte airport did fly over...). Staff was courteous and check in/out was quick. Evening beverage and morning breakfast were a nice touch. I did not have any issues during the stay.

It certainly is nothing fancy, but it certainly met my expectations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hillsboro, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very clean.The hallways were spotless and Smelled Clean! All staff were very friendly and helpful. Easy access to SR 77. The breakfast was very good well done and the girls working kept up with the crowd.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at the HIE Arrowhead for one night on a business trip.

They let us check in an hour early and even double checked to make sure our rooms were made up. I was given a king room on the fourth floor.

On the plus side, there was a mini-fridge, microwave, and large flat screen TV. There were plenty of outlets near the desk area and a very comfy work chair. This may seem like a small item, but there was also a separate closet with door and not just a rod with hangers in the open. The bathroom had the lovely Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer and even shower gel which were very nice. The room was also clean.

On the negative side, my toilet did not flush. When I removed the lid I noticed that the chain was not connected to the plug and that someone had clearly tried to "rig" it to flush previously using twist ties. I called the front desk and was told maintenance would be up. After waiting an hour, I called down and was told that he had gotten busy but that he would be up shortly. To the front desk's credit, they did call to check to see if he had been up. Unfortunately, he fixed the chain problem, but then the plug did not work and the tank would not fill with water. Another trip from maintenance. This time he replaced the entire piece and it was fixed.

I understand that stuff happens and that the true measure of a hotel is how they respond to the problem. However, an item as basic as a toilet should be checked before a guest checks in. Surely housekeeping had to have noticed that when you pushed the handle it did not flush.

I used the fitness center. The sign on the door said it opened at 5:00 a.m., while the in-room Guest Guide said it was open 24/7. Not sure which one was true. There were 2 treadmills and a bike along with a mismatched set of free weights. To their credit, the bike worked well and I enjoyed my workout. Towels were available, and there were 2 drinking fountains in the room. There were no cups or sanitizing wipes, though.

Breakfast was good for this class of hotel. The English muffins were fresh, and there was a fridge with yogurt, milk, hardboiled eggs, butter and cream cheese. There were also scrambled eggs which were pretty good and breakfast meats which I didn't try. There was also a pancake maker.

We asked the fronk desk for suggestions for dining options. There is a magazine in the room that has a restaurant guide. We took the front desk suggestion and ate at Cafe South,, which is less than a 1/2 mile from the hotel. Do not go to Cafe South unless you enjoy a Cracker Barrell type experience (which, don't get me wrong, has its time and place). My catfish was bone dry and the pickle chips were barely covered in batter and did not come with a dipping sauce. The beer was cold, though.

This hotel was certainly sufficient for a one-night business trip, but I would not recommend staying here for extended trips. There was only one elevator which was not sufficient for a 4 story hotel. There were long waits (several minutes).

I would have given this hotel a higher rating had it been priced appropriately (in my opinion, closer to $100). But my room was $169 before tax, which was just completely overpriced for what I got and for what I could have gotten at higher end hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I traveled many a night to Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express and I'm finding that the express version has become way over priced. The days of under $100.00 for their express brand are way behind us. Granted the rooms are clean, the lobbies fresh, the breakfast bar acceptable, time for me to rethink my travel stays as their prices rise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2014

While in Charlotte, NC to lead a 4-day engineering seminar, I visited the HIE on Arrowood Road. This Holiday Inn Express provided both my guest room and seminar facilities. My visit was just outstanding; absolutely no issues or support problems. The General Manager, Toni Sawhney, took time each day to make sure I had everything I needed to conduct by business and was comfortable as her guest. Additional hotel staff who went above and beyond: Dana, Duston, Elizabeth, Howard, Jackie, Jamil, Jimmy, Liz, Shamica and Raj. 'Best wishes for your continued success.

Former Naval Person

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The word that comes to mind here is "sufficient," as this hotel did meet the needs of our stay for two nights. BUT, there are definitely some things that could be improved for a better experience.
We were pleasantly surprised to find an ample supply of towels in the pool area, which has a pretty decor and several nice pieces of wicker furniture for lounging. A rectangular area, the pool itself is fairly simple and small with a max capacity of 26. Since there was only one other guest taking advantage of the pool during our stay, that was nothing to concern us. The kids just enjoyed having an indoor splash area for a few hours and we got to relax. There is a discrepancy in advertising, though, as the internet site description indicates that the pool is open longer. The sign on the door says 5 a.m. til 11 p.m., but then another sign inside the area states that the pool is only open from 10 a.m. til 10 p.m. Not sure which is correct, but we were out between 10 and 11 p.m.
Our room was located right next to the maintenance/riser rooms, which meant that we could hear noise throughout the night. I'm usually not too light of a sleeper, but for some reason, the hum woke me up pretty frequently. Didn't complain to the front desk or anything, but I'd definitely put in a request for a room further down the hallway next time. (*We were also concerned because the fire alarm appeared to have been yanked from the ceiling and we did not see another fire alarm in the room.)
The room itself was average. Had a nice variety of soft/firm pillows on the king bed; furniture was typical, etc. Did have a nice flat screen t.v. and leather executive chair at the desk. Liked the complimentary Bath & Body Works shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in the bathroom, too.
As for the breakfast. It appears that the key to a good breakfast is to get it early in the week. On Monday morning, our breakfast seemed much more fresh. On Tuesday morning, the sausage was burnt, the biscuits were hard, and the gravy had an under-the-lamps, re-heated taste and texture. Also, the pancake machine was broke down both days. Otherwise, we liked the variety of options: Yoplait and Chobani Greek yogurts, sausage, eggs, four types of juice, sweet rolls, biscuits, gravy, English muffins, blueberry muffins, bagels, bananas, apples...Not bad, but not of "excellent" quality, either.
One thing that concerned me was the parking. We were not able to see our vehicle from our hotel room. If I'm not familiar with an area, I like to park where I can see my vehicle. Usually I like to park in the back, but there are only 5-6 spots behind the building, and they are near the pool. There is a large field where there could be parking, but it is all grass.
Really liked the big comfy couch and chairs and modern blue/brown color scheme of the lobby area. I normally wouldn't take much note of a lobby, but we had to spend a substantial amount of time there while waiting for someone, so I thought I'd point out that it was a pleasant aspect.
No major problems, but did get some helpful assistance from the front desk when needed, too.

Room Tip: Request room not near maintenance storage/riser rooms--further down the hall, the better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Destination_Fun
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Today, 3 bananas all rotten, and no fresh ones, no apples and the apples from.last night were rotten. Rooms need redecorating, posing b peeling away, fitness room equipment filthy, as no wipes, to clean sweat. this hotel is going down hill, but they had money to spend repairing the the ground front of the building. Employees helpful and pleasant, but it appears to me management don't really care about their guests and do what they have to do to get by

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear steve b,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your experience at breakfast prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were pleased to see your kind comments for the staff being helpful. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D