“Not Renaissance quality”

Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed here for two nights. The room was very strange as the windows did not face outside. Evidently, the hotel has been added onto and our windows faced a wall and sort of had a peek down onto the breakfast buffet. The walls are very thin and security somewhat lax. Two nights running the drunken twenty-something girls across the hall pounded on the door, waking us up at 3 am. We called security after 25 minutes of this the second night but the girl hitting the door with her shoe and yelling walked off, returning after security walked away. It was really unpleasant, but no more so than discovering that the maid only half made up the room and left us without toilet paper. We asked the front desk to send some up, but four hours later went to get it ourselves as it had not been delivered. The front desk said they had been busy. The hotel itself looks nice enough, but we would not stay here again and feel the hotel does not live up to Marriott or Renaissance standards. Add that to the fact that internet costs $13/day when it is free at the Hilton and there is absolutely no reason to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Muleyman

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We only spent one night here, but it was very pleasant. Check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk staff was so helpful, laughing and chatting. She came from behind the desk to give me directions and offer alternatives for getting to the mall which is directly across the street.
We'd had a long day, so we wound up staying in and ordering room service. It was quick and so good. I enjoyed the homemade potato chips.
The room was nice, but smaller than other Renaissance hotels I've stayed at. Overall, it was a good experience though.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Hadn't stayed in a Renaissance proeperty in some time, but this hotel far exceeded expectations. Stylish well appointed jr suites, very clean, strong wi-fi signal (for a fee of,course), extremely courteous staff that greeted every time they saw you. Good ambience in the restaurant and throughout the hote. Oh, and perfect location, near several restaurants and directly across from a huge mall...

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Nice stay overall. Was there for one night on business. Clean, quiet and fairly straight forward when it comes to the rooms.

The food on the other hand I would pass on. We had dinner in the open attrium lobby area which was freezing cold. The whole place has tile floors and retains the cold quite well which is probably nice in the summer but it was not a pleasant dining experience. We all had hot tea to try to battle our chill.
The service in the dining room was terrible and then our food came out and was severely overcooked. Wish we would have gone down the street to the steakhouse instead.

Gave the kitchen another shot in the morning when I was in a rush and had food delivered to my room so I could eat as I got ready in the morning. They got the order wrong, then forgot to bring the cereal to accompany the milk delivered, then didn't include cream or sugar for my coffee. Poor delivery guy had to make 3 trips back to my room before the order was corrected and complete. 30 minutes that I didn't have time to deal with out of my morning, which made me late for my business appointment.

Oh, and lastly - the wine and almonds offered at check-in look beautiful and chic; however, I found an eyelash in my wine and the nuts were stale. Pass on these too!

If I stay here again, it will be for the points only. I'll eat elswhere for sure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I liked this hotel a lot. Comes off as a 5 Star hotel. Complimentary Cocktails in the evening both nights if my stay. Beautiful firepits in courtyard a very nice touch. Bed was extremely comfortable, bathroom offered great Aveda products. Hotel is in very move area with TONS of restaurant options and a fabulous mall. My only issue were housekeepers were below standard, average, 3 out of 5 stars. Seems they clean with a very light hand. Hairs on floor, towels and in bathtub in bathroom, dust on surfaces in room, I feel management should raise standard with their housekeepers and have a QC process because this place would be perfect once this is addressed. Gym was awesome by the way. I would return because I absolutely loved everything else and I did leave my comments with the staff regarding cleanliness. I do hope they resolve this issue.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank atlhotelcritic
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My experience at the Renaissance was Terrible!!!!!!! I had a reservation set for a Saturday thur Monday. When I drove from South Carolina to finally het settled in my room I was told at check oh did any one contact you about our power outage? I said no! He continued to say we will have a power outage for the next two days. I came here for a surprise birthday weekend for my boyfriend and this was the start of a terrible stay! He told me I will give you free breakfast because of the outage but I already had breakfast figured into my bill, so he said they would transfer me over to the Mariott their sister hotel. I was so pissed but didnt have any other choice. We got to the Marriott to check in they told me my breakfast will not be in with the price any more because I receive military discount. So we went to the room walked in and the first thing that hit me was a molded scent. The room was nothing like I paid for at the Renaissance. It was soo much smaller... Sheets were molded and the cable kept losing signal during the playoffs... I will be writing a review for the Mariott also! When I did check out I was charged an extra $47.00 which they couldnt explain why it was charged to my account and then I check my bank statement and Rennaissance charged me $137.00 when I didnt even stay there. After going through about 3 people I finally got the manager and he didnt make it any better!! he said he would check on it to see if I could get my money back because I was charged for a no show fee. Which i was like how could you charge me that when you sent me to another hotel.. I then asked will I at least be comp a one night stay since I had to go through all of this mess that ruined my weekend he said no I dont see why I should!!! I will never stay at a Rennaisance or Marriott hotel again.. For almost $300 for 2 nights and i had to smell mold and ask for a microwave and refrigarator to be bought to the room and the cable kept losing the signal.. Never again and I would advise anyone else from staying at these hotels if you want to enjoy your hotel stay. Find somewhere esle..Horrible Customer Service!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!