“5th Visit”

Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This was my 5th time visiting this hotel. I chose the hotel because based on the hotel properties in Charlotte this is one of the nicest and comes at a fair price.

The decor could be thought of as tacky by some but they are going for an upscale but hip look with the color patten in the lobby areas.

I was only disappointed in the room. I paid for an upgrade (club level) but it was a smaller room than I've ever had with a fair (at best view) and no club lounge (that I know of) was open.

It is a good hotel and I will stay again.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to club level
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Ok, Maybe I am a brat after staying at the Ritz Carlton, but the rooms were ok, nothing too exciting and we were even upgraded to a "Corner King" . Unfortunately it was on the 2nd floor and our view was of the roof below. The room size was just ok, the decor was ok. The location is nice - in Southpark. A walk or short drive to many attractions. The bar on 12/29/12 was near empty and the drinks were just ok... they did not know how to make many drinks and don't have very many on their menu. The appetizers we got were... again, just ok. Would not stay there for appetizers again, and I would probably just pony up the extra $$$ and go uptown to the Ritz. But the front desk people were nice and the Valet was personal.

Oh yeah.... the elevator was FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! We told them and they just did not seem to care at the front desk. Upon further conversation the valet came in and said that they must not have turned on the heat. I told them it was that cold last night AND this morning.... and again, no one did a thing.

So... it was "ok", but NOTHING great. I might check out the regular Marriott in SouthPark before I would go back to this location. *sad*

...It has potential....

Good breakfast place: (Not far, but do drive) The Original Pancake House (great Crepes) and The Terrace Cafe (walkable) is known for it's breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT overlooking a roof. I would guess you would need to upgrade to a "Corner K...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed here on a girl's weekend and had a fantastic time! The staff was the friendliest we've experienced anywhere! We were welcomed with delicious peanut butter cookies and given excellent advice on where to eat. They gave us several options within walking distance which covered lots of different cuisines. The hotel is conveniently located a block over from South Park Mall and is easy to find. We chose a room with double beds and were pleased with the room. The beds were extremelhy comfortable and the rooms were quiet so we could sleep. The hotel offers a bar if you're so inclined and also has a nice courtyard.

Room Tip: If you want a room with double beds and it's a weekend book as early as possible because this is...
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Great location at walking distance from the South Park Mall and good restaurants.
Always clean, attentive staff, small but useful fitness room. F&B is not perfect, but good.
This hotel remains as my favorite in Charlotte.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel a couple weeks ago and I was with my 3 year old child. We checked in and I asked for an upgraded room. I know the hotel was not busy because I overheard one of the front desk associates talking about it. The front desk Manager told me that they did not have any upgrades available. I tried explain to her the situation that my kid likes to run around and not just sit down and watch TV, All she said was "sorry”. While I was walking towards the elevator I looked back and noticed that they were talking about me. Housekeeping was very loud and had no concerns about the guest. I was not impress with the service of this hotel.

6  Thank Mulekinha
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Have stayed in quite a few places in the South Park area and finally found my second home. The Renaissance is simply wonderful. At check in we were even greeted with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. I'm not sure if it was a special day or if they do that every time though.

The rooms are a nice size and tastefully decorated. The breakfast was included in our rate but I would also pay for it. Great selection on the buffet including fresh berries. We didn't order eggs or waffles but what came out of the kitchen for other guests just looked wonderful.

Free parking and you can walk to the Mall or to restaurants in the area. From now on when I’m in the South Park Area this will be my place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This was an excellent hotel - staff was super friendly and when out of their way to help us out. Room was very nice - got a good price shopping last minutes. No parking charge! Would definitely recommend this - just shop for the right price.