“Lovely hotel with great customer service!!”

Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Ranked #19 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We spent two night at the hotel. We were greeted warmly by every member of the hotel staff. The customer service was excellent! Our room was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The lobby area is inviting and peaceful.the gym was well equipped and the pool was very nice. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We are excited to know that you are ready to spend another night with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our Ambassadors and guest rooms, I’ll be sure to share your review with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel was the location for a wedding we were attending. From the moment we arrived we were being taken care of. The bell hop not only unloaded our vehicle but proceeded to take everything to our room and placed all the bags inside the room. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The bartenders in the lounge were excellent as well. The hotel catered the wedding and there is not one bad thing I can say. Everyone from the bartenders to the servers were on point and the food was very good. As far as hotels and traveling go, this hotel is a definite must. Probably one of my best hotel experiences in a very long time!

Room Tip: Our room had an inside balcony that overlooked the restaurant / fountain area which was neat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate your recommendation of our hotel! Traveling on weekends for special occasions can sometimes be stressful so we are happy to know that you felt taken care. It sounds like the wedding you attended was a big hit and I’ll be sure to pass your comments onto our team about all the enjoyable encounters you had with our ambassadors. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

What started out as a good experience ended badly when I was awakened in the morning by the phone. It was the hotel notifying me that my car was broken into! Upon arriving at the scene in the parking deck attached to the hotel, I learned that 3 other vehicles had also been broken into. While I appreciated one of the manager's assistance with the police, vacuuming the shattered glass out of my car and covering the passenger door so I could drive my vehicle, I did not appreciate the reminders my wife and I received that the hotel wasn't responsible because there were signs posted (you know, the standard disclaimer signs you see in almost every parking deck). Nor did I appreciate their failure to offer anything as a token of their empathy for what happened...I'm sure corporate told them not to. Unfortunately, the hotel has limited outdoor parking, so the parking deck was the only parking option other than valet. After receiving an initial call by someone in Marriott's investigations department a couple days later and not receiving any further update after emailing him, I responded to the Marriott survey of my stay. I gave a poor review, but suggested that they could take a few simple steps to better deter that type of thing, such as install cameras and verbally warn guests. Within an hour or two I received a response from the hotel manager apologizing for the incident and again reminding me that signs were posted...as though it were my fault for choosing to park in the attached parking deck rather than use valet! By her tone and message, it seems clear that they absolve themselves of any responsibilities and will not be taking any further actions to safeguard their guests' vehicles. I let her know that and have not received any further response. So, be aware!!! Do NOT park in the parking deck!!! I will not be staying there when I return to Charlotte.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank DavidQ6390BL
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We are very sorry for the incident that occurred during your stay. As this type of occurrence is not a normal situation at our hotel, we expect our guests to feel comfortable parking at our hotel but have the signage due to the parking garage not being monitored 24/7. We understand how this affected your stay and opinion of our property but appreciate you working with our team and the police after the incident was reported.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had to drive to Charlotte and opted to stay here on a Monday night. The overall look and feel of the hotel exterior and interior is very nice and appealing. All the staff, from the doorman to the clerk at the check-in counter and others were very friendly, welcoming and hospitable. The doorman pointed me to a very nice local restaurant within walking distance and hit it out of the park with his recommendation. He even followed up with me when he next saw me to ask about the experience there. The hotel employees really embody the southern hospitality thing and it was appreciate by yours truly.

The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice sized desk for my laptop and cell, and a comfortable lounging chair to kick back in and read. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. The room had a small fridge, microwave and a single cup coffee maker. Like many hotels however, they really need to install more wall outlets. It's somewhat tacky for a high-end hotel to have guests reaching behind furniture to unplug the microwave so they can plug in the coffee maker. The room had a small balcony, enough for two people to sit out on. Mine was over the atrium, so it was nice for people watching. But, if there was a convention or large group at the hotel, it would add to the noise factor, I'm sure.

My only beefs:

1- charging for wireless access?! Really? Seriously? I think even Motel 6 offers free wi-fi, guys. This smells of nickel and diming. For the price you charge to stay, I think free wi-fi should be part of the package. The DAILY charge for basic wi-fi is $13 and if you want high-speed for streaming purposes, it's another $2 over that. Kinda tacky, folks. Left a small bad taste over what would have otherwise been a very good customer experience.
2- charging $17.99 for the movie that I pay DirecTV $5.99 for? Again, this just smells of gouging a customer to me.

Despite the two negative customer experience examples above, I would still stay here again if I needed to be in this proximity. I might not go out of my way to stay here, however.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank EdGooding

We thank you for choosing to spend your one night in Charlotte with us and that everything was to your liking. We are very proud of our attentive and friendly Ambassadors who are always there to hold a door open or suggest a delicious place to eat in the SouthPark area. We’re glad the guest room was large enough for you to relax and that you were able to enjoy the balcony over our atrium. We understand the frustrations with paying extra for in room movies and WiFi but upon your next arrival to our hotel, please be sure to join the Marriott Rewards Program which offers amenity perks such as free WiFi access. We are very appreciative of your positive review and sharing your suggestions which we will use to further improve as a property. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here to 'break up' our long international flight ordeal and were absolutely thrilled with the location, quiet atmosphere, friendly helpful staff, delicious breakfast, free shuttle, and lovely spacious suite. What a delightful stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We’re happy you found us so accommodating and enjoyable for your overnight stay in Charlotte. We know traveling can be stressful and tiring so it’s great to know you felt well rested upon your departure. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited this hotel in May 2014. This hotel lived up to its brand from location to accommodation. The curb appeal for this hotel is awesome. Driving up you already feel that you are going to have a great experience. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. They referred to me and my husband as Mr and Mrs. Given that it was my wedding Anniversary, was a welcomed jester. The lobby was very festive and welcoming. We entered to the sounds of jazz and laughter. It made us want to immediately drop our bags off and visit the restaurant/bar. The food in the restaurant was very good and I am a foodie. The drinks at the bar was even better. The room was very comfortable and spacious.

South Park Mall an upscale Mall is walking distance from the hotel. Also it is very close to many restaurants.

Great hotel for groups traveling to Charlotte with different budgets given that the Courtyard by Marriott and the Residence Inn are both walking distance from this hotel.

Highly recommended for Special occasions and leisure travel to Charlotte.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MCTTRAVEL57

Thank you for all your kind comments about our hotel décor, staff and tasty food and beverage. We are honored that you chose to stay with us during your anniversary; by the way, congratulations! We hope your time with us was truly special and that you find another reason to come back and enjoy our southern bistro for dinner again! Thank you again for taking time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Not sure why Trip Advisor has this as only a 3 1/2 star rating. This is a very classy hotel in a great location. I've stayed at various hotels downtown and would easily opt for this property over any of those. The staff are incredibly engaged and helpful. I do feel the rate is a bit high, over $300 for this stay. That will make it cost prohibitive for me next time. The free parking helps. Nonetheless, if it's in your budget, this is one of Charlotte's best.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

We are honored to be your top choice for a hotel in Charlotte, thank you! Our staff is filled with talented and attentive Ambassadors that make our guests’ stay all the more enjoyable; we’re glad you’ve chosen to continue to stay with us. We look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you again!