“Beautiful facility, wonderful service”

Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Ranked #21 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We book at this Marriot for a two night stay for a family member's anniversary party two weeks ago. We have stayed in numerous Marriott's all over the East coast. We were very impressed with the Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark. Upon arriving we were very impressed with the facility. A very beautiful Marriot. We greeted at the door by a an extremely engaging doorman. We were immediately offered a beverage and snack by the check-in staff, The lobby and adjoining longue and restaurant are lovely (although we did not have the opportunity to try the restaurant so I cannot speak to the food). The check-in was seamless and the front desk staff extremely friendly. We were given a room on the 6th floor. A beautiful corner room.
But...... upon sliding our keycard into the lock, a problem became evident when a little dog that was in the adjacent room heard us and started yapping, and yapping, and yapping. Clearly nobody was in the room with the dog and it would start barking the second it heard any noise at all. Every time we moved in the room it started yapping incessantly. We quickly called down to the front desk and asked if the hotel was 'animal friendly'. The front desk attendant said it was not. We then told them about the yapping dog in the room next to us. She checked and (what a shock) the people that had checked into that room had said that they has a 'service dog' with them. We asked if it was allowed that people leave their 'service dog' in the room when they went out. The very nice girl said that it was not allowed and that they dog should have not been left alone and that she would have the manager look into it and get back to us.
To be completely honest, I thought that I might have been given a little lip service and the manager or someone else would call be later and tell me that their was nothing that they could do about it. Boy, was I wrong.
Approximately ten minutes later we heard knocking on the door of the rom with the yapping dog and the loud announcement "MANAGER". He knock and announced himself several times and then we heard the door being briefly opened and then closed and the manager walk away.
It was another ten minutes before our phone rang. It was the front desk. The young girl told us that the manager had been up to the room (which we knew) and that the dog should definitely not be allowed in the room but they did not have a contact number for the people in the room and they would have to wait until they returned to "take care of it" but it would be "handled".
I should mention at this juncture that during this entire time the dog hadn't stopped barking for five minutes. I told the front desk that I really didn't care what happened as long as the 'dog people' were moved.
An hour later we left for a party. I stopped at the front desk. I gave her my name and immediately another young woman, who I assume was a manager at some level, immediately came over to me and apologized. She told me that they had locked the people out of their room so that they would have to come to the front desk upon their return. I said that I assumed that they would be moving the to another room. She said no, the people would be asked to leave the hotel.
WOW. We were impressed. Talk about responsive and definitive service. They run a very tight ship at the Renaissance Marriot SouthPark.
We returned late that evening and, sure enough, no yapping dog. The next morning I asked the front desk what had happened and she very pleasantly told me that, upon their return, the customer was asked to leave the hotel and they did. Bet they didn't forget their 'service dog' that time.
We then went to have breakfast in the concierge longue. Everyone we came in contact with at this facility was extremely friendly by the employee manning the longue had them all beat. What a nice guy. And... the breakfast the delicious as well.

I would highly recommend the Marriot Renaissance SouthPark and if I am ever again in Charlotte I will definitely stay there again.

One last note: There are people out there that need service animals to get through their day. They provide badly needed emotional, and sometimes physical, support. Many of these people are military personnel that have served our Nation proudly. It is people like the ones that left their yapping lapdog dog in the room next to us that are going to ruin it for all of those that have an actual need. These people think they are being cute and smarted than everyone else by 'conning' the system so that they can take Flopsie, or Sweetie, into a hotel or an airplane. They may in fact be conning the system but, sooner or later, their abuse of the system will result in even actual, real-deal, service dogs being banned. That would be a tragedy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kevin0454
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We truly appreciate you taking the time to report the dog during your stay and for remaining so patient with us while we resolved the issue. Aside from this incident, it sounds like you had a great stay and we are thrilled to have been a part of it. Our friendly Ambassadors from check-in to the gentleman in the concierge lounge make it very easy for our property to work efficiently while also accommodating our guests’ needs and we appreciate you recognizing that. You are a very loyal Marriott customer and we look forward to another opportunity of hosting you at our property!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Bellman Alan set the tone for our stay with a very warm welcome when we pulled in. The staff was very friendly throughout our stay. We don't normally use bellman services, but decided to use Alan due to his very friendly nature. He remembered us by name throughout our 5-night stay and assisted with restaurant recommendations, area attractions, and other helpful information. Every business needs an "Alan" as a face of the business.

Our room was very nice and clean, with a small refrigerator that helped with two teenagers on the trip. The hotel has a laundry room with free detergent and fabric softener. There are many good restaurants within walking and driving distance, with a mall across the street with food court.

My wife and kids visited Carowinds amusement park while I was attending a training. They enjoyed the park, with several roller coasters for the teenagers and a water park. It is 8-10 miles away, at the NC/SC border off I-77.

We would definitely stay at the Renaissance again if returning to Charlotte. Thank you again, Alan, for starting our stay on a great note and continuing your friendliness throughout our stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate you recognizing Alan and his attentive positive attitude; he is a great asset to our team and I’ll be sure to share your review with him. We’re happy to know that you were able to embrace so much of the Charlotte area during your stay, from the local SouthPark restaurants down to visiting Carowinds for a fun day in the sun. We hope you have an opportunity to visit Charlotte again!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We spent two night at the hotel. We were greeted warmly by every member of the hotel staff. The customer service was excellent! Our room was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The lobby area is inviting and peaceful.the gym was well equipped and the pool was very nice. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We are excited to know that you are ready to spend another night with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our Ambassadors and guest rooms, I’ll be sure to share your review with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel was the location for a wedding we were attending. From the moment we arrived we were being taken care of. The bell hop not only unloaded our vehicle but proceeded to take everything to our room and placed all the bags inside the room. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The bartenders in the lounge were excellent as well. The hotel catered the wedding and there is not one bad thing I can say. Everyone from the bartenders to the servers were on point and the food was very good. As far as hotels and traveling go, this hotel is a definite must. Probably one of my best hotel experiences in a very long time!

Room Tip: Our room had an inside balcony that overlooked the restaurant / fountain area which was neat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate your recommendation of our hotel! Traveling on weekends for special occasions can sometimes be stressful so we are happy to know that you felt taken care. It sounds like the wedding you attended was a big hit and I’ll be sure to pass your comments onto our team about all the enjoyable encounters you had with our ambassadors. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

What started out as a good experience ended badly when I was awakened in the morning by the phone. It was the hotel notifying me that my car was broken into! Upon arriving at the scene in the parking deck attached to the hotel, I learned that 3 other vehicles had also been broken into. While I appreciated one of the manager's assistance with the police, vacuuming the shattered glass out of my car and covering the passenger door so I could drive my vehicle, I did not appreciate the reminders my wife and I received that the hotel wasn't responsible because there were signs posted (you know, the standard disclaimer signs you see in almost every parking deck). Nor did I appreciate their failure to offer anything as a token of their empathy for what happened...I'm sure corporate told them not to. Unfortunately, the hotel has limited outdoor parking, so the parking deck was the only parking option other than valet. After receiving an initial call by someone in Marriott's investigations department a couple days later and not receiving any further update after emailing him, I responded to the Marriott survey of my stay. I gave a poor review, but suggested that they could take a few simple steps to better deter that type of thing, such as install cameras and verbally warn guests. Within an hour or two I received a response from the hotel manager apologizing for the incident and again reminding me that signs were posted...as though it were my fault for choosing to park in the attached parking deck rather than use valet! By her tone and message, it seems clear that they absolve themselves of any responsibilities and will not be taking any further actions to safeguard their guests' vehicles. I let her know that and have not received any further response. So, be aware!!! Do NOT park in the parking deck!!! I will not be staying there when I return to Charlotte.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank DavidQ6390BL
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We are very sorry for the incident that occurred during your stay. As this type of occurrence is not a normal situation at our hotel, we expect our guests to feel comfortable parking at our hotel but have the signage due to the parking garage not being monitored 24/7. We understand how this affected your stay and opinion of our property but appreciate you working with our team and the police after the incident was reported.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had to drive to Charlotte and opted to stay here on a Monday night. The overall look and feel of the hotel exterior and interior is very nice and appealing. All the staff, from the doorman to the clerk at the check-in counter and others were very friendly, welcoming and hospitable. The doorman pointed me to a very nice local restaurant within walking distance and hit it out of the park with his recommendation. He even followed up with me when he next saw me to ask about the experience there. The hotel employees really embody the southern hospitality thing and it was appreciate by yours truly.

The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice sized desk for my laptop and cell, and a comfortable lounging chair to kick back in and read. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. The room had a small fridge, microwave and a single cup coffee maker. Like many hotels however, they really need to install more wall outlets. It's somewhat tacky for a high-end hotel to have guests reaching behind furniture to unplug the microwave so they can plug in the coffee maker. The room had a small balcony, enough for two people to sit out on. Mine was over the atrium, so it was nice for people watching. But, if there was a convention or large group at the hotel, it would add to the noise factor, I'm sure.

My only beefs:

1- charging for wireless access?! Really? Seriously? I think even Motel 6 offers free wi-fi, guys. This smells of nickel and diming. For the price you charge to stay, I think free wi-fi should be part of the package. The DAILY charge for basic wi-fi is $13 and if you want high-speed for streaming purposes, it's another $2 over that. Kinda tacky, folks. Left a small bad taste over what would have otherwise been a very good customer experience.
2- charging $17.99 for the movie that I pay DirecTV $5.99 for? Again, this just smells of gouging a customer to me.

Despite the two negative customer experience examples above, I would still stay here again if I needed to be in this proximity. I might not go out of my way to stay here, however.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank EdGooding

We thank you for choosing to spend your one night in Charlotte with us and that everything was to your liking. We are very proud of our attentive and friendly Ambassadors who are always there to hold a door open or suggest a delicious place to eat in the SouthPark area. We’re glad the guest room was large enough for you to relax and that you were able to enjoy the balcony over our atrium. We understand the frustrations with paying extra for in room movies and WiFi but upon your next arrival to our hotel, please be sure to join the Marriott Rewards Program which offers amenity perks such as free WiFi access. We are very appreciative of your positive review and sharing your suggestions which we will use to further improve as a property. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here to 'break up' our long international flight ordeal and were absolutely thrilled with the location, quiet atmosphere, friendly helpful staff, delicious breakfast, free shuttle, and lovely spacious suite. What a delightful stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMRHR, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We’re happy you found us so accommodating and enjoyable for your overnight stay in Charlotte. We know traveling can be stressful and tiring so it’s great to know you felt well rested upon your departure. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!