“Indian!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went here NYE 2013. My firat time here. The majority of the food was very good. My girlfriend who has been here a number of times before.. Her chicken was overdone,but when the manager was told they made a new entree for her. Service was very good. Overall very satisfied with our visit. We will be back.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

As some others had said food was outstanding service was so so. My friend and I are in town on business and went there for dinner. And we order a variety if things and all was great . The waiter was friendly and helpfully but after makeing order he never checked

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Usually after eating a great Indian meal my taste buds feel like they have awoken from an Ameri-bland stupor into a symphony of dancing and singing. The luncheon buffet I experienced today left my tongue, well - bored. There were all the usual suspects, chicken tikka, to rice pudding (my Jewish grandma made it tastier). In between were way too many starches, rice dishes, and uninspired vegetable dishes. No taste, not much variety or depth of spice - dumbed down for the lowest common denominator of diner.

I miss India soooo much now that I am here in Charlotte. Nothing particularly stands out. I just visited NY and a lunch buffet there for a very modest price (less than Charlotte) was so amazing, I hated to leave. It even had the most unusual desserts, and unique veggie dishes, and I am craving it now. It is never was the same each day.

This restaurant is just plain LAZY. It could be much better with little effort at all.

1  Thank n w
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I found Saffron while I was looking for a house in Charlotte. I have eaten at the restaurant, takeout to a hotel, takeout to my home now, and just recently brought takeout to Charleston! We feasted for two days! I love that it is family owned. The aroma...mom. Spinach naan, palak paneer, seekh kabob, pick your level of spice...even the rice is fabulous.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I used a Restaurant.com gift certificate to visit Saffron for the first time tonight for dinner. We are both of Indian origin and went completely vegetarian tonight.

The restaurant is a nice location, and has a nice ambiance. We were seated promptly and our meal was served quickly. There were only 3-4 tables occupied - not good for a Friday evening.

The food is hit or miss. My wife ordered a Kabuli naan (Indian bread made in the tandoori oven) to go with her food and I ordered the Saffron plain naan. Her naan had no nuts or raisins, although advertised to be stuffed with them. Had cherries and cheese instead, and she could not eat it. Mine, on the other hand, was excellent. Of the three dishes we ordered, the paneer makhani was excellent, the baigan bharta (eggplant dish) good, and the malai kofta below average. Each dish comes with rice, and ours was obviously left over rice reheated. I don't know why some Indian restaurants choose to do this - it's not as if the rice is expensive. I guess they figure the customers won't know the difference, but it's hard to hide the clumps of rice that the reheating process misses that is a dead giveaway. It's generally a good indication of the caliber of an Indian restaurant - the really good ones will only serve fresh rice.

My other pet peeve with restaurants is when they dump take out boxes and you have to scoop your leftover food yourself. This is particularly a messy job with Indian food with the gravies. I understand that some people are worried about hygiene and prefer to do this themselves, but the restaurant should at least ask and give one a choice. This is a fairly common practice so I am not singling out Saffron for this.

All in all, a forgettable meal. With all the choices for Indian food these days, we won't go back.