“Strong BBQ offering”

Ranked #38 of 2,354 Restaurants in Charlotte
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Strong BBQ offering”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

When we travel, especially in the South, our family likes to do the research and hit at least one good BBQ. Most often, we gravitate towards something that looks more like a stand than a restaurant. Sauceman's is a funky little place, and the food does not disappoint.

My son and I split a rack, which was very good. Your shirt will get stained. A little too much sauce on the rack, but the sauce, a traditional red, has just the right balance of twang and heat. The meat pulled easily from the bone, and it had a thick, woody crust. This is absolutely the choice if you dig the crust.

My daughter got a coarse chopped sandwich, eastern style white. The vinegar was not overwhelming and the key, of course, was the wood/smoke flavor.

Sides were killer, with probably some of the best collards I have ever had. Beans were solid, nothing fancy, nice and flavorful. The slaws, a red and a white, were both delicious. Hush puppies were spot on.

I engaged Octavius, the GM, and he was very kind and involved. He brought out a special white pepper sauce he claims had Alabama lineage. Very tasty. All around, a great experience and one I would highly recommend, at least if you enjoy being elbows deep in the process.

McDonough, Georgia
“Not all the hype.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Went there because of all the good reviews that were on this site. Maybe the chef was having a bad day when I went. Ordered the half rack of ribs with the white slaw and onion rings and
hush puppies. Portions were very good for the money. The best part was the onion rings very good flavor and the batter was flaky. Ribs had no flavor and were tough, slaw was okay a little runny for my taste. Hush puppies were sweet as well as dense.

The environment of the business was great loved the waitresses. Not a lot of parking places. So be warned.

“Best BBQ in Charlotte”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We recently moved to the area and went looking for a good BBQ spot. So we took our family of 8 and ordered the tailgate special, fried corn, fried green tomatoes, red slaw and a meat sampler. Plenty of food for the bunch of us and it was all delicious! Staff was super friendly and even took a picture with us. Will definitely be going back again!

Latham, New York
“first NC bbq...not disappointed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our first trip to Charlotte and our first NC bbq; this was our first stop based on reviews, and we were not disappointed. I had the pork, it was tender and delicious. And I think this was the first time I've ever had real hushpuppies, they have real flavor and texture - they were fantastic. White coleslaw was fresh and tasty. We were lucky, got there just before the lunch rush and got a table easily but the place sure filled up fast. Would definitely go back.

• Visited March 2014
Aas
“A Very Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stopped in to grab a quick lunch and was rewarded with some of the best BBQ I have ever had. They do BBQ and they do it very very well, any one of their menu items is a winner. Additionally their White Coleslaw has a very unique freshness to it that I have never experienced elsewhere, it is definitely something you should try. The only thing keeping it from being 5 stars is the cheese they use, it has a distinct "overly processed flavor" that I just can't get over.

• Visited March 2014

Been to Sauceman's? Share your experiences!