“Nice but somewhat disappointed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte
Ranked #48 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, NC
“Nice but somewhat disappointed”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The room was clean and above average. The bed was absolutely one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on - divine.

Now, for the negative. I was expecting to have a nice selection of channels on the TV, not so. I was looking forward to catching up on some shows but did not get to watch them because of the limited amount of stations. Also, I was surprised you have to pay for local calls if you use the phone in your room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MemeDixie
KevinCharlotte, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Hi. Thanks so much for posting your review of our hotel. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I'm happy to hear it was mostly positive but did read your comments on our channel selection. I wanted to mention we will be upgrading our channel selection this year as well as adding HD content. Hopefully, we'll have in place before you return the next time you're in Charlotte! Take care, Kevin Plucker, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed for a week in June. The hotel is very clean and accomidating. The breakfast is wonderful and I found the managers reception very relaxing. I think what makes this hotel is the staff. The are very polite and helpful. The restaurant Omaha Steakhouse was wonderful as well. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. I was very happy to hear it was a positive experience. I hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Cordially,
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My family stayed in this hotel as we were traveling between destinations for the July 4th holiday. My husband is a Hilton Honors Diamond member and was thrilled that he received an upgrade to the presidential suite! It was fabulous for our family - - large den area and huge 8 seater table with wet bar area. The view of downtown was fabulous! The suite was shaped like a V with the bedrooms at the end of each side, so there was plenty of privacy when traveling with kids. The shower in the master bath was AMAZING with 5 shower heads to massage you!

The hotel was centrally located and easy to get to with a great number of restaurants within a short drive. There is also an Omaha Steak place in the hotel that had a decent menu with reasonably priced kids meals. The morning breakfast was good with a wide variety of foods.

The indoor pool was much bigger than most Embassy Suites pools and had a hot tub and outdoor private sundeck.

This is an older hotel, but it is well cleaned and maintained. I noticed it had a shuttle, but we did not have need for it. I appreciated that they posted signs by the elevators to remind people coming in late in the evening to keep the noise level down after 10 p.m. We were there at the same time as a youth group and a family reunion but slept great!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank luv2gogogo
Hello. Thanks so much for your nice comments on our hotel! I appreciate your feedback and have shared your review with the team. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you return.
Oakland, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This property served as a wonderful location for a recent J&W graduation for friends and family that came. It allowed for group breakfast/manager's reception as well as Omaha Steak for dinner without having to get in a car to drive anywhere! Beautiful lobby and rooms. Erica was extremely accomdating in making the group arrangements so welcoming. Very clean, buffet made to order breakfst was great as well. Corner suites very spacious for families.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Maxine9499
Hi. Thank you very much for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. I appreciate your comments and have passed them along to the appropriate team members. Thank you again and I hope to have you return on your next visit!
Cordially,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2011

It is a suite which is nice, but that is a given being it is Embassy Suites. I needed to print something in the business centre at 1:30am, the system would lock and I could not access my email to print, so for the business traveller it was a negative.
I wanted to do laundry - sorry we are out of detergent.
Was there internet - who knows there was nothing in the room, the hotel info book.
The info book said there was room srervice - no menu.
The location is far form great as there is nothing around.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Exepctations
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I won't lie, It's all about the food. The amazingly delicious BREAKFAST. Made to order omelettes, pancakes, hash brown, bacon, eggs, sausage, grits, oatmeal, cereal, juices, coffee, tea, fresh fruits and the biscuits and gravey, etc. etc, etc. Yum, Yum. A breakfast that gets your day started. Everything is fresh. The cooks are so very friendly and accomodating. I felt like I was at an all inclusive resort in the caribbean. The manager's reception is okay. (I stayed at the Drury Inn and I have to give them their props., their's is they have buffalo wings and great drinks.). The rooms are clean, spacious and the beds are very comfortable. They have a well equiped gym which I wish I had time to use. The pool looked very inviting, as well as the hot tub and I bought my bathing suit, but again no time. I was there for my daughter's college graduation (JCSU), which our picture made the Charlotte Observer newspaper. (Who'd thought). The hotel is close by and the airport only 6 miles away. I made sure all my family and friends booked here. As most of my family have stayed here before there was no problem and my friends were very satisfied with this hotel. We booked @ 7 rooms but no discounts was given as the Drury Inn does. (I wish Embassy would take that in consideration for a discount).I could have stayed at the Drury for $69 with a school discount, free internet, breakfast, free local calls and a better manager's reception, but like I said the Embassy Suites of Charlotte, South Tryon's Delicious breakfast gets my day started and that what was important to me. Before I forget, the hotel restaurant, "Omaha Steak" is wonderful. Everything is so fresh and delicious. A little expensive but worth it. We all had something different. I had the crab cakes and I mean it was real lump crab, no heavy fillers, no heavy breading, not greasy, just a lot of crab meat. Wonderful. Try it. You'll leave happy. My uncle's steak was cooked to perfection. My aunt's fish was great. My friends's pork loin was extremel tasty. The food takes a while, but well worth the wait. Caren was our hostess and she wasa very sweet NY transplant. "Hi Caren" She'll take good care of you. Besides no free internet and free local calls, You will not be disappointed. Take advantage of the Delicious breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
KevinCharlotte, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I greatly appreciate the positive comments and will share them with the team. I hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Take care,
Kevin Plucker - GM
East Coast
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I stayed here rather than Uptown Charlotte because I was planning to go to the Farmers Market and the Embassy Suites is very close to it. I would say that other than needing to be in this immediate neighborhood there is no pressing reason to stay here if you are traveling alone or as a couple. The value comes in when you realize that you can sleep three or four (or more) comfortably at a price of barely more than $100 (before taxes).

Service was very courteous, from the reception at check in to the breakfast room staff who very graciously announced to guests on line that if they did not wish to order an omelet they did not have to wait on line but could go to the buffet. That might seem like a small thing, but he did it in a very nice way, not shouting out a general announcement but addressing a couple of people at a time.

The toilet in my room overflowed before I went out to dinner and I was given a new room with no fuss or hesitation. That too speaks to good service, butt he toilet should not have overflowed--I noticed but here and the the Hilton in Uptown the next night that the toilets seem to be some sort of low-volume but not very efficient new model--not great even if they are green. Maybe not one of Hilton's better ideas.

I was given free Internet, I think to make up for the toilet flood. It might be free for Gold Level HHonors guests but otherwise it would have been about $10--a lot, given that it is free in Hampton Inns.

My basic reaction overall: Despite the very pleasant staff, I don't think I would stay here again. The suites are very poorly lit though the bathroom was nice and bright. There was no good reading light in either the bedroom or the living room. The decor was a little dingy, though I would not say the rooms were unclean--just somewhat dated decor and thus not very fresh feeling. The bathroom was clean and pretty basic, with a tub-size step-in shower containing only one very small shelf. That strikes me as poor design--it required me to put my shampoo and conditioner (full size containers brought from home since I drove and thus was not limited to small containers by flight rules) on the floor because there was only room for a bar of soap on the shelf. There was a grab bar, but someone who really needed a grab bar might have had trouble bending to get the bottles.

On the plus side, it is a very family-friendly place and there were also groups of friends (I think) staying there who were definitely getting great value. It just wasn't quite right for me.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo