“Hotel was a Lifesaver”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte
Ranked #46 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stuck in Charlotte after my flight was cancelled, after circling Raleigh and Richmond for two hours. Hotel was very accommodating to many on my flight and did it with a smile. Room was decent and they offered a free shuttle from the hotel to the airport. This hotel was a lifesaver and I would stay there again. Kudos to the staff.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed recently at the Embassy Suites Charlotte. Suite was very comfortable and clean. Service was great! Fantastic free breakfast included and Manager's nightly cocktail hour was also very good. The shuttle service took us to dinner at McCoy's BBQ and also to a miniature golf course.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here as a meeting place to visit with friends. The downsides: The hotel was booked and unfortunately, we were not able to get adjoining rooms with our friends. The room we ended up in was right in front of the elevator - noisy, but we couldn't hear it back in the bedroom. None of the lamps worked in the living room area. The room was not as clean as I would have liked - a bit dusty and dirty in the corners. There was a strong mildew smell in the bedroom, and I suspected there was mold or mildew growing in or under the wardrobe. The front desk seemed to not know much about the area - could not give directions to local parks, and did not provide useful restaurant recommendations. The positives: The hotel lobby area was beautiful. There were two large tv's - one in the living area, one in the bedroom. There was plenty of space for our family of 5 - I LOVED being able to put the kids to bed and shut the door to the bedroom. Our friends even said the pull-out sofa bed was reasonably comfortable. The breakfast was really good and a lot more than I usually expect from a hotel breakfast. The pool was large and well maintained. We experienced a middle-of-the-night fire alarm at this hotel, which I don't imagine is very common. Having never been in something like that at a hotel, I thought the evacuation went quite smoothly and we were let back in as soon as the all-clear was given. The desk staff was accommodating when we found we were locked out of our room and needed another room key.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

The managers reception is a joke. Quality & your choice on what is served was very, very poor. It seems to be a trend to go super cheap from several years ago. Also the two drink limit is really going cheap. Why punish all because a few people abused the amount of drinks for them and family & friends when they stay there for a party. Property also needs some updating. The Homewood Suites close by is a much better property for the money.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
KevinCharlotte, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Hi colonialrep,

Thank you for providing comments on your recent stay. I've shared your comments regarding our complimentary beverage reception with the appropriate staff. We have a rotation of quality snacks and offerings that should always be available in ample supply. I also wanted to explain the two drink maximum....The State of NC has set these parameters for complimentary receptions and we now must comply. While non-alcoholic beverages are not limited, those containing alcohol are limited to two per person, per day. Please accept my apologies and I hope that you will give us another chance when returning to Charlotte.

All the best - Kevin - GM

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We attended the Charlotte Uptown Jazz Fest and stayed at this Embassy Suites. The only negative I would have is that there are no restaurants in walking distance and the hotel on the premises is pricey. The ES shuttle bus picked me up at the airport and the driver (Kenneth) was very nice and informative. I asked him for recommendations for good Soul Food and he told me about Nana’s Soul Food which is down the street but about 2 miles from the hotel. It was one of the best meals I had while in Charlotte and ended up eating here twice, thanks Kenneth for the recommendation!

We had tickets but were not able to attend the Manager’s Reception on Friday because the water was shut off for a few hours due to the water company working on the pipes outside. The breakfast was good as usual and it was so refreshing to be greeted by smiling and friendly employees like Ms. Wanda at the breakfast station. I will definitely stay here again when I visit Charlotte.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

To be fair, I should start by mentioning that I own a small hotel and restaurant too. The nature of my profession most likely is a heavy influence on my opinions.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Charlotte after taking our teenaged boys to the US National Whitewater Center. There were hotels that were closer, but we like ES and the price was reasonable.

The hotel itself is a normal ES with the atrium and amenities. At check-in we were given two rooms that were connecting. I didn't ask for them, but appreciated the effort of the reservation staff and their attention to detail as my online reservation had mentioned we had children with us.

The rooms themselves were the standard suites. Good linens, the mattresses a little hard for me. The husband prefers them that way. The living room furniture is starting to show some age. Nothing visually unseemly, just apparent long term use.

We ate dinner in the Omaha Steakhouse. The hostess greeted us and then disappeared for literally 15 minutes while we stood there waiting. Peaking around the corner, we could see many empty clean tables and the staff was not overly busy. We probably would have walked out but we had been traveling and active for 11 hours by this point and we were too tired to go anywhere else. She returned just as we were about to go upstairs and order pizza. Our server did a good job. She was friendly and attentive. My appetizer of the quesadilla was very good, my husband's calamari was adequate. For my entree, I ordered the pasta primavera and asked for added grilled chicken. The chicken was very good, but the pasta was bland with overcooked vegetables. My husband had the filet mignon which was unseasoned and basic. Overall, the food could have been better. I didn't feel they warranted the prices that we paid. I will pay serious money for good food, but I felt a little robbed paying $100 for an uninspired meal. We were not annoyed enough to complain, so in fairness, they did not have an opportunity to rectify a problem. The service was good and the food came out in good time.

Breakfast in the morning was okay. The ladies at the omelet station were warm and friendly. They served everyone very quickly and the omelets were tasty and a good sized. I would have liked a bagel and some more fruit options that I have had at other ES.

Our boys enjoyed the pool. We would stay here again.

Hi kimebear,

Thank you very much for providing comments on your recent stay with us. I was happy to see you and your family enjoyed themselves. I did take note of your comments regarding our restaurant and have shared them with the appropriate staff members. Thank you for choosing our hotel and I hope to see your return.

Best Regards - Kevin - GM

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The only good point from this hotel was the breakfast. The room smelled as if someone has been smoking in it and the air conditioning did not work properly. It was HOT in the room during the night and early morning hours.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Hi Ashley S,

Thanks very much for providing comments on your recent visit. I was disappointed to see you had an issue with the odor and air conditioning in your suite. I shared your comments with the team as we daily inspect each room. Please accept my apologies and I hope to have you return soon. Kevin - GM