“Could be improved”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Was here recently for business. Checked in late, and was given a room in the top floor. Noticed that the heater wasn't really putting out any heat, so set it to 80. After 30 mins. it was still cold, and called the front desk....took some time to answer, since it was late. The front desk said they'll send the technician up, and I took a shower in the meantime. An hour later, still no show...so called the front desk again. They said that the engineer came up, but did not knock (as I had the do not disturb sign), the front desk had called, but since I didn't answer.....(hey, I was in the shower...and didn't hear rings), he left. They also did not leave any voicemail, which I found odd. Since it was past midnight, they could not fix anything and could only offer an additional blanket....that was quick - 5 min.
Next morning, the air from the ventilation system was still cold, and when I enquired from the front desk (about 9 am), they immediately sent a technician up to my room. He fixed the problem - turns out it was a stuck valve on the cold water, in 15 min. After he left, the air was 'warmer', but with a setting at 80F, it was lukewarm at best.
The HVAC system needs to be updated for sure.
Beds were A-OK, and they provided free hot breakfast. However, the breakfast ends at 9am, which was too early, since I got in late the night before, and didn't wake till 8.30am.
The fitness room was adequate, though a couple of weight machines would have been nicer.

Room Tip: Higher floors are good. The atrium provides a very cozy ambience.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
KevinCharlotte, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Hi Jon C,
Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel on tripadvisor. I appreciated and shared your comments with our team. I was disappointed we weren't able to provide a quick solution to your heating issue. We have electric heat delivered to all rooms and it is not typical for a suite to not provide desired warmth. I apologize and hope you will give our hotel another opportunity in the future. All the best, Kevin - GM

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was not a happy stay.
1. We had a corner room overlooking a parking lot and the ac condensers were outside our window. We could not leave the one functioning window open at night.
2. No room safe. Front desk safe too small to fit laptops. Had to carry our laptops around with us all day. Thanks.
3. Room smelled funny - like someone's deodorant.
4. Did not replenish teas.
5. Coffeemaker had a funny taste.
6. Room was dark and opening shades was of limited help.
7. Embassy Suite's love of themes is getting old. Water feature in atrium smelled mildew-y.
8. It's close to nothing except a older stripmall.

However, the bed was comfortable.
Will not recommend this site to corporate colleagues.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mmbhm

Dear mmbhm,
Thank you for providing comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear you had a less than enjoyable experience. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the staff as you obviously had a number of issues. As this is not our typical guest experience, I've shared these comments with the team. We will use as motivation to ensure we improve and not repeat these mistakes in the future. Again, I apolgize for falling short of delivering an exceptional experience.
Cordially,
Kevin - GM

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel over booked and we ended up in a corner room that I assume was a handicap room, no tub in site and the corner configuration was terrible to set up the pull out couch. If there would have been a fire we would have had to crawl over the bed/couch to get out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Booked two rooms for three nights. Thursday - Sunday. We are four ladies over 50 years old. We loved this hotel. There was a Jr. Regional Soccer Tourny and the New England Pat were playing the Panthers. The hotel was sold out. Not sure what people are talking about when they say the hotel was crowded and nit pick about really minor things. Really?? It's a hotel that does business and they still offer a managers reception even on weekends. Where else do you you get an included cooked to order breakfast with very nice happy people serving you as fast as possible. The eating area is pleasant with plants and waterfalls. It reminds me of a smaller version of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, but easier to get around. We loved the hotel and the location.

Room Tip: rooms are quieter on the higher floor and away from elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My family is in a business that demands good customer service. We understand the dedication it takes. That is the only reason I am taking the time to do this review. We arrived in Charlotte(one of my favorite cities) for a bi-annual trip to the Queen City for my wife. We normally stay at in the South Park area but chose to stay at Embassy this trip. When we arrived I could tell the property was a one of the original Embassy designs. We stay mostly at Hilton properties. Embassy is one we frequent. I walked in very late to a warm and inviting welcome. Check in was fast and I even commented to my wife when I returned to the car for my family. We went to our room tired but found the room in some need of attention (the occupants the night before smoked in a non-smoking room). I returned to the front desk and met Jared. With out hesitation he moved us immediately to another room. The room was perfect.
The nights sleep was good. Bedding was very comfortable. The next morning house keeping came to the room and I refused service because everything was fine. Moments later I heard someone at the door. I was a little frustrated because it was house keeping again.....the head of house keeping.
She handed me a greeting card explaining what the hotel was doing for my family because we moved four doors down the night before. What they did for us was completely over the top. I called the desk and spoke to Jared (who orchestrated the entire compensation). I explained there was no need or reason for any compensation. He insisted. I still cannot believe the extent the staff went to just to compensate our four door move. We had not even unpacked in the first room...the luggage was still on the cart.
I will not go into detail what the hotel did because there are some people who would try and force the same compensation in the future. I will say I have never seen such dedication to hotel guest before.
This property has had some updates. The rooms are nice. I have stayed at Embassy Suites with better food....this was sub par by Embassy standards. However minor the inconvenience I will return. Thank You again Jared and the whole staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Ive stayed at Embassy many times, including this one before. Its always been great, but this time it was not nearly the same. Bathroom couldve been cleaner. The shampoo had already been used. It was a Saturday night and was so packed full that the happy hour and breakfast was so annoying that it changed something exciting into a nightmare. It also seemed a bit offending that you have to pay for wifi when youre already paying so much for the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The rooms, most of the staff, and the complimentary items were all excellent. But if you want over crowded, loud and obnoxious childen, thieving oppourtunist, with a couple of worker who don't want to do their jobs; Then this is the place for you. Stolen or loss diamond tennis braclet, no one cares. Children holding the elevator on higher floors while they play. No one cares. People hanging out in gang-like fashion staring you down. No one cares. My worst stay in a 3 star hotel or better ever.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple