“This Holiday Inn was impressive!”

Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place
Ranked #4 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our church hosted a marriage retreat over Valentine's Day weekend. Have to admit we were unsure about the location because we hadn't stayed at a Holiday Inn in a long time and didn't remember it being very nice. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised and had a great experience.
At check-in, we were very impressed by the front desk and lobby area….from the friendly customer service to the chic décor and inviting atmosphere. We were told the lobby had been recently renovated. As we made our way to our room, it was evident that the renovations went throughout the hotel. Our room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and had a nice view.

Our evening dining experience was great. We had a private room for all of the couples. The servers were top notch and they treated us like royalty.

If you are looking for a hotel in the area, we would definitely recommend this one!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor. It was great!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was in the area for a meeting and this is the hotel where my group had a block of rooms. On its face, the price of the room was reasonable, but the service at the hotel was such that I would rather have paid more and gone somewhere that had better service and at least made me think it was somewhat clean. When I checked in, the lady at the front desk treated me like I was planning to run out without paying the bill. She kept talking about paying for the room in advance. I finally was able to understand (I think) that the room would not be billed until after the stay and my card was to cover incidentals. Not only was she confusing, she acted like she was doing me a favor letting me stay in her hotel. Not the kind of attitude I would want someone entering my business for the first time to experience.The rooms were nothing special, but there was a microwave, refrigerator, and flat screen tv. Although the room was supposed to accommodate four, there were only two bath cloths in the room. There were only two of us in the room, but I like to have an extra bath cloth and if the room is stated to allow four, why only put in two bath cloths, three hand towels, and three towels? So, the next day, I left a tip for the maid and a note asking for at least four bath cloths. When we returned to the room, there were zero bath cloths and some trash left on the counter from making coffee was still in the room. We actually were not sure the room had been cleaned. And my friend across the hall later told us she found trash in her room when she checked in and asked them to remove it. The next day when she returned to her room, someone had used her toilet and not flushed it and it did not appear her room had been completely cleaned either. We called and asked for bath cloths and they brought us more of everything, and still just two bath cloths. My friend complained to the management about the used toilet and in their defense, the manager over housekeeping (Michael I believe) did address her concerns, although it was quite apparent he probably has an employee who cannot or will not do the job she/he is being paid to do. Other than that manager, the only other staff members we encountered who seemed to understand customer service were the people in the restaurant. I don't know our waitress' name, but she was very attentive and pleasant. If only some of her pleasant attitude could rub off on some of the other staff with whom we had the misfortune to deal. This was the third straight time staying at a Holiday Inn and having a less than satisfactory stay. I think I am going to give up on them. They have consistently been a disappointment.

Room Tip: There are lots of hotels in the area that would probably be better maintained and better value for y...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dee D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Dee D,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We loved everything about this hotel except breakfast. The staff was very friendly, the room was updated and clean. We were there to get some rest and were so glad to find it was VERY quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We liked the wall thermostat for the heat also.
We booked thinking breakfast was included. When we arrived we learned that only a continental breakfast is included and only on weekdays. We were there on the weekend. They did give us half off of breakfast in the restaurant which we tried the first day. It was adequate, not great, but the most disappointing thing was the coffee was lukewarm. We had several refills hoping it would be hot but never was. The second morning we made coffee in our room and went down to see if we could get a sweet roll or something from vending. Nothing was available suitable for breakfast, but they did SELL us 2 muffins from the restaurant for $7!! You would think that if they could discount a full breakfast and provide a weekday continental breakfast that they could part with 2 muffins for less than $7!

Room Tip: Our room was so quiet and the whole floor seemed to be. I did not notice anything that I would ment...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HICUmgmt, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Tuckersnana,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Charlotte University. We are glad you found our staff friendly and the room clean. In regards to the breakfast, we apologize for letting you down. All feedback is acted upon and is used to improve our service.
We would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be in the future!

--Holiday Inn Charlotte University Management

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Lovely facility!! Super friendly staff! I'm a holiday inn employee and had stayed there using the employee rate and the front desk attendant STILL made me feel special :) Even allowed us to pick our room type! (King!! :D) Large, spacious rooms! And the televisions! EKK!! :) AMAZING! :D Our plan was to get up early but we ended up watching shows and wished we didn't have to leave! (ComFY Beds!!) It was funny, later on that night -3A.M- the fire alarms went off and everyone was evacuated! The staff was very cool and collective, directing us. I was grateful :) Encouraged to stay here!!
PS. The alarms went off over some silly person smoking, pfft.

Room Tip: Would recommend not staying on the highest floor, in case you ARE evacuated. That's a lot of sta...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Simply_Indefinitely,

Thank you for the amazing review about the Holiday Inn Charlotte University! We do our best to make every guest feel special when staying at our hotel. Glad we could accomodate you and hope you choose us in the future!

--Holiday Inn Charlotte University Management

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed 01.16- 01.19.14. The beds at this hotel were THE most comfortable beds. We were so thankful because they allowed for a great nights sleep. The hotel is modern, clean, and in a great location relative to UNCC. The staff was very kind, helpful, and professional.

I would say the restaurant is the only thing 'lacking' at this location. We ate breakfast there one morning. The buffet would compare to that of a free offering at the Holiday Inn Express, but here you were charged $12.95. We also ordered blueberry waffles off the menu, and I swear it was an Eggo-type heat/serve waffle for $8.95. Needless to say we didn't try again.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this location. I'm sure we will be staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The staff there is super friendly. Racheal and Kimberly are two of the freindliest and most help ladies in the hotel and they both make sure that their breakfast and dinner are always on point. I can't wait to go back and visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Kiehansen,

We are excited to hear you had an excellent stay with us! We will let Racheal and Kimberly know about your gracious comment. Looking forward to your next arrival!

-Holiday Inn Charlotte University Management

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I've been staying here on Business for a few weeks and the lounge staff is amazing. After working all day they are easily the highlight of my day. The staff consists mainly of two awesome ladies, Alanna and T, that make sure anything you need is taken care of. These two ladies are the reason I come back here to stay.
The overall Hotel is clean and a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
whitea, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear 68piper,
It is great to hear that our staff is one of the reasons you come back to our hotel. We hope that you continue to choose the Holiday Inn Charlotte University as your home away from home!
-Anthony White, GM