“It was Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Atlanta, Georgia
“It was Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

It was a ok place went for wedding and it had a great set up for it, rooms are nice and clean and the location is great for walking downtown. Issues are not very responsive front desk and a bit expensive but I guess it's understandable for the location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

The Marriott City Center gives you a great welcome upon check in and the Front Desk Personnel are most helpful. They are super knowledgeable about Charlotte, truly seem to love the city and their jobs. It was a great welcome. The hotel was very clean, well-appointed and sized rooms. A modern take on comfort.

Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I was only at the hotel for two nights, but I could not ask for anything better. I went down with three friends for a football game and we decided to stay at the Marriott because that was where Big Blue Travel used, and I can see why now. It was within walking distance to the football stadium. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the city was very enjoyable. I would definitely stay there again, and would consider staying at other Marriott Hotels due to my great experience!

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed here for a business trip. I have no complaints about the staff, they were nice and welcoming. The room was clean and odorless, I understand that some of the rooms were renovated recently. I didn't have much of a view, but I guess that is what I paid for. The bathroom was clean, nice size and fully stocked every day. The hotel lacks any kind of complementary breakfast but there are plenty of places around the hotel to eat at. The WiFi was not free and was a bit expensive for daily use, in my opinion. That would be my biggest complaint, because at most nice hotels the WiFi is usually free. Parking is also with a fee, just like most hotels I have stayed at. Overall our stay was good, no real complaints except the expensive WiFi fee.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed one night here. Location is great in Downtown Charlotte. Plenty of fine restaurants within walking distance and the bar/club district is only a block away. The Hotel itself is a little dated. Things have been updated - so the rooms are small but nice. I found the staff very polite and helpful. All in all a good stay. Priceline rate was $101 plus taxes per night.

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Hi, my wife and I spent 21-23SEP12 at the "uptown" city center Marriott (corner of Tryon and Trade). The first trick was to find parking - we were there as part of a Marriage Retreat - and like other couples from out-of-town, finding the parking garage was very tricky. Parking is below the hotel and is only accessed from the front - where the Valet are located, but don't worry, wheel in there and get below through their hidden ramp! You can take an elevator back to lobby for check-in of course.

Our first impression, door man was fantastic pointing the way to the hidden parking ramp. However, upon reaching the front desk, a young, tall man was a bit sharp w/ his tongue w/ us. I blew it off, but everyone we met after (hotel staff- from Champions server, to maid on 9th floor, all the way to Charlie from F., SC) were fantastic!

The room was small and a bit dated, but the king bed and linens were fantastic. The AC was very quiet and did the job! Also, our shower drained!! No standing in water. The shower head is not removable, but is very oversized. The room was musty at the very first, but quickly disappeared when we started the AC. Our view was limited to 5th floor rooftop (smoking area) and the adjacent hi-rise apartments.

We really like the Champions Sports Bar, the business center (purchased & printed our
Haunted Carriage Ride tix from there), the gift shop w/ Starbucks cafe and the quality of food. We did both, room service and Champions for meals.

Hooters is across the street, a Wine bar around the corner and the Horse Drawn Carriages right out front! Convenience is the word!

There are remnants of the Democratic Convention and souvenirs left over in the Marriott Gift Shop, personally, I didn't like seeing Obama's face all over the counter and counter top area. That was a bit much, but I can see it w/ most the staff there though.
All in all, it was a good value. Drinks are pricey, buy alcohol beforehand and bring it in! Very nice Marriott - two thumbs up!

Room Tip: we were in room 914, overlooked the parking decks, 5th floor rooftop for smokers and other hi-rise b...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a convention. Everyone that we dealt with was helpful and polite.

Our room was nice and appeared to have been renovated recently. The beds were very comfortable. The room shared a wall with housekeeping so we had the sound of washing machines running a good bit of the time. The view was of a rooftop and not much else.

The bathroom was well appointed with nice towels. I did find the lighting odd in the bathroom but was able to use one of the mirrors in the room for putting on makeup. The large shower head was great but was angled towards the back wall of the shower and caused a minor flooding issue. We adjusted it after the initial use and it wasn't a problem again.

The pool and gym seemed to be nice and well kept though we did not use them. There is no complimentary breakfast that we were aware of but there are places on site where you can purchase it. The most baffling thing to me was the lack of free WiFi. Internet access could be purchased for something like $12.95 per day. I travel a lot for work and this is the first place I have stayed in years that didn't have free WiFi. For an overall nice hotel, the lack of this basic amenity puzzled me.

Parking in the garage under the hotel is extra as well but expected. We did get trapped in the garage when our card didn't work for the gate. There was no attendant and the "help" button didn't work. I actually had to call the hotel on my mobile phone to get someone to let the gate up so we could get out.

There were town cars available outside of the hotel that took us to our convention location for a nominal fee. That was a very nice option.

Overall our stay was good. I stay in a hotels that cost a lot less that have more amenities and larger rooms but this one does have a great location if you are attending an event in uptown Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends