“Standard Marriott”

Ranked #23 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Standard Marriott”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Nothing special about this Uptown Marriott. If you need to stay in the city center this is it, but beware the rooms are very small. The bathrooms are teeny, tiny...to get in the shower you have to reach around the toilet to turn the water off and on. Did not dine at any of the restaurants on site, so cannot rate those. Did eat at Mimosa's and the Wooden Vine next door, both are excellent choices within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelbuggers5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I booked a room over new years eve, 2013. we were in town to see a play and did not feel like driving home after the performance.

After reading reviews on this hotel regarding noisy hallways, I was prepared for less than a restful evening. Was I surprised.

On check in we were given wrist bands and told we had to show them to gain entrance to the hotel after 5:00PM.

When we returned to the hotel about 1:00 AM on New Years Day, the lobby was occupied by a lot of security but no one else. When we got off on our floor it was quiet as a tomb. There was never any noise for our entire stay. Thanks for a restful evening Marriott.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary O, Manager at Charlotte Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
We appreciate your wonderful review. It is rewarding for the management and staff to hear that our efforts to provide an enjoyable holiday experience were successful. We continually strive to maintain high service standards and are pleased you enjoyed a restful night’s sleep. Thank you for sharing your experience and choosing to spend your night in Charlotte with us.
California
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I thought it was a few notches above your standard city center Marriott mainly due to its location & lobby staff. Its situated in the exact center of "uptown"--the 4 statues at the intersection of Tryon & Trade streets mark the true "center" of the city. This means its walking distance to some great restaurants--5church, Dandelion Market, Roosters & Kings Kitchen, plus only a couple blocks from the convention center & arena. Check in was super quick & my concierge level executive suite was a great corner room with a really nice layout. Lobby staff was very friendly & hospitable. Each morning they placed coffee, croissants & Danishes out, and each evening they put out a large carafe of a hot beverage (cider, tea or hot chocolate) & a dessert. A very nice touch that I've never seen at a Marriott. Underground parking is convenient ($16/night). Since concierge was closed on the weekend i stayed, I was given breakfast coupon for cold buffet at lobby restaurant. It was mediocre at best & service was slow & not very professional. Head to the Starbucks a few hundred yards away in the adjacent building's lobby instead-- or better yet, the Dean & Deluca a block away!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank theresaw
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I commute to Charlotte for work, and I sometimes stay overnight at area hotels, such as the Marriott, for special occasions when I don’t want to drive 45 miles back home.

My New Year’s Day experience at the Marriott was no different than any other experience I’ve had there. The rooms are always clean, check-in is always easy, the staff is always awesome, the bed is always comfortable, and the indoor pool/Jacuzzi and workout area is always exceptional.

The self-parking is expensive, and the underground lot is not the easiest to maneuver, but this is Uptown Charlotte so it’s to be expected. I always prefer hotels with refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms because I always bring home doggy-bags from restaurants and want to reheat the food for late-night snacking. This Marriott does not have refrigerators and microwaves in its rooms, but that’s just a minor annoyance. I wonder if the hotel would provide a little fridge and microwave for anyone requesting it.

The one irregularity on this visit was that the hallway in the first room I was assigned had a very strong scent of perfume. The key didn’t work, so my companion took the key back to the front desk and asked for a room on a different floor. The staff eagerly accommodated our request, and we received a room on floor 6 which is just above the pool. For that reason, a slight chlorine smell was detectible, but that was far more satisfying than heavy perfume.

The room was extremely quiet and comfortable. The room, bathroom, and bed were extremely clean, and so was the carpet.

I’ve stayed here many times and have never noticed anything that wasn’t clean.

The adjoining Savannah Red restaurant is exceptional, but it was unfortunately closed on New Year’s Day. The food from adjoining Champs Sports Bar was just fine, and it was open late so I get could some late-night drinks before going to bed.

During Charlotte special events and festivals, I have had visiting musical artists stay at this Marriott, and they’ve always been happy.

I’m always happy when I stay here although this hotel doesn't have a manager's happy hour or a complimentary breakfast. For that reason, instead of paying the extremely high price for the hotel breakfast, I go down the street to the Crepe Restaurant or Amelie's for some exceptional breakfast food.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EthnicFoodJunkie
Gary O, Manager at Charlotte Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your great review and recommending our hotel to others. To answer your question regarding refrigerators, yes, we are happy to provide a refrigerator upon request. However, we have a limited inventory; therefore, availability depends on demand. Unfortunately, we do not have an inventory of microwave ovens.

Thank you, again, for your positive review. We look forward to hosting you on your next overnight stay in Charlotte.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is a typical downtown hotel for Marriott, I would stay there again, the service is good and the rooms are very good. There is a charge to park of about 16 per night, you should park there. I parked on the street and in the morning from 7 to 9 none of the streets allow for any parking even for pay, so you will get your car towed, or if you get your car around 6 AM, it will cost you $50, so ahead and park in the garage - it's not worth it. stay there and pay the fee to park. otherwise it's a nice place if you go there for business

Green Features: Have no idea did not know anything about this. The air was clean there
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our cousins wedding back in September and it was great.
All the staff were nice, check in was very fast and hassle free. The rooms were very clean and they had a nice big comfy bed. The bathroom itself was very small and the ceiling was low, but wasn't a problem with us. We had a breakfast from the restaurant and they had a good food. We really liked the location also, you could pretty much walk everywhere from the hotel and there are a lot of restaurants/bars to go to. Would definitely stay at this hotel again if we go visit Charlotte again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Little Mountain, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed here one night after The Eagles Concert. Perfect location to the venue; easy walking distance to Time Warner Cable Arena. Check in was a breeze and staff very friendly. Unexpectedly upgraded to a wonderful suite!! Had a bite to eat in the sports bar after the concert. Again, staff was very friendly and the food very good. Overall great stay with no complaints!

• Stayed November 2013